BH Photo Video lists the GH5 without price or release date

Michael Ma

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This camera is due to May or June, I wouldn't be too excited about it (I mean, I always am, with equipment/gear/tools/machines!), until is truly out, tested and reviewed.

With tools/machines/gear/equipment, I learned to play the waiting game. Early adopters always pay a price (money, or troubles).

I agree about the waiting game. If they fix the IBIS in the G85 I'll probably be perfectly happy shooting with that, with an external recorder, through the end of the summer. And who knows what Sony will do.

If the rumors of the GH5 price being around $3K are true, I think that will put a bit of a dampener on the excitement for it. I think it needs to be no more than $2500. $2000 would be pretty killer. And at any of these prices, IBIS is a must.

If Sony does an 8-bit 4K60 A7III, at say $2000, or the A7S/RIII is 8-bit 4K60 at the same price as the current R and S, or goes 10-bit at say $4K, the GH5 may not be as much of a coup as it would have been all by itseld in Q1.

Plus, we are talking about thousands of euros, if someone is so interested in video, why spend 3-4000$ for a hybrid camera? Most in business, would prefer a real video camera, even if it hasn't 60fps/4K. 

Don't forget that Canon C100ii is still selling very well and Canon has the XC15 out with 4K and all. If they put a 4K C100 out for 5000$ everyone is going to buy that one.

IBIS is another thing too. Most serious videographers use serious ones, when needed, and if... I am not against, but things that weren't even there a week ago, suddenly become a necessity amuses me a lot. If you do not have proper money (and if you are not a pro), a GX85 (or even better, the working G85) is pretty much perfect for most things and for most people (that they need something more than their iPhones), 3 and 4 thousands for a "similar" camera, is overkill in my opinion. Except if the true video cameras go to 10.000$ territory, and good buy video middle class, like it happens with the real middle class everywhere!

P.S 4K/60 and/or 10bit needs a lot of money on editing equipment as well.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Plus, we are talking about thousands of euros, if someone is so interested in video, why spend 3-4000$ for a hybrid camera? Most in business, would prefer a real video camera, even if it hasn't 60fps/4K. 

Don't forget that Canon C100ii is still selling very well and Canon has the XC15 out with 4K and all. If they put a 4K C100 out for 5000$ everyone is going to buy that one.

IBIS is another thing too. Most serious videographers use serious ones, when needed, and if... I am not against, but things that weren't even there a week ago, suddenly become a necessity amuses me a lot. If you do not have proper money (and if you are not a pro), a GX85 (or even better, the working G85) is pretty much perfect for most things and for most people (that they need something more than their iPhones), 3 and 4 thousands for a "similar" camera, is overkill in my opinion. Except if the true video cameras go to 10.000$ territory, and good buy video middle class, like it happens with the real middle class everywhere!

P.S 4K/60 and/or 10bit needs a lot of money on editing equipment as well.

There is a lot of snobbishness about equipment and a lot of nonsense talked about what makes someone a pro. A professional is a person engaged in a specified activity as a main paid occupation rather than as a pastime. It has nothing to do with what equipment he/she choses for each job. I have "pro" gear but I also use DSLRs when there is a need for light weight work. The IBIS on the GX85 has been very useful on occasions on some paid jobs. Horses for courses.

If the GH5 is as good as it sounds and sells for 2000€ then it'll be a very interesting camera for some professional work and a beast for hobbyists. What is true is that 4K/60 will be a bugger to edit on most people's present editing suites.

I commented on the rumored price of 3000$ (and you know that these prices are higher in Europe), and the fact that the waiting game pays off (less trouble/less money spend) in new complicated tools, like hybrid cameras, and I am definitely not a snob.

I do have a NX1/NX500/NX3000 kit for my hobby (photography) and extremely low budget video jobs, and I always trying to find the best value for money (that's why I stayed with the NX system for so long).

NX1 as 4K (no crop) A-cam, especially with the exceptional 16-50S lens; NX500 as a small B cam is fine (crop, usually with the 45 or 30mm prime, which are very good buys, and very good for interview close ups or live coverage), and the NX3000 with the NX 10mm/3.5f fish eye as an APS-C version of an action cam (that is no 4K of course, but is my crash cam). The whole system (with 7 or 8 NX lenses) costed me around the starting price of a A7Sii (body only, just to put it in perspective).

But if I have to pay 3 or more thousands for a body only, and I was a pro (I am) then I would definitely considering something more appropriate for advanced needs (depending the style and the line of job, usually here in the European south east, the working days and nights are hot and long, and the salaries less and less!). Even the JVC LS300 (for me) is a great idea, and sells new, as much as a C100markII used. We are using it now for a documentary series (speedboosted +  L glass), mixed with a couple of 5DmarkIII, and the ease of use of the little JVC is cost, and time saving. The original idea was 3 Canons and recording sound externally, now we record on the JVC, time (and battery) saving on production, and in post. 

Significant things for me as a professional (and that's when I reach for the C series usually) are: ergonomics, battery life, ND filters, XLR/Sound connections. Most of the dedicated video cameras these days offer adequate quality.

If the GH5 sells for 2000euros, it will be..ok, not great, but ok.. but if the new Olympus's price is any indication, and the rumored GH5 price is right, then a price above the 2500euro mark is most possible, and that will be very expensive in my opinion. Also, in 6-8 months, Sony can put another aXXXX camera, doing 4K/60fps (even if it records for 27seconds before burning hot!) and sell it for much less. Sony makes the sensors, do you not think they are not aware of what kind of sensors are selling to the m4/3 group? 

Far dues. Same goes in south west Europe!

I have a Canon C100 and it's great but sometimes it's just too heavy to lug about all day! I think we both use DSLRs in the same kind of low budget jobs that you get in these parts.

Usability, video quality and price will determine whether the GH5 (and MFT) can survive in this rapidly evolving and cut-throat market. I hope it really lives up to expectations and comes in under 2000€ as I really need a light weight alternative to the C100 ( and I have some lovely MFT glass!).

I guess Spain, Portugal, Southern Italy, Southern France, Greece have very similar working conditions, add to this that Greece has by far the least working rights and the smallest salaries anywhere in the Western World right now..you get the point, why I count every euro!

As I said, a small and cheap mirrorless kit is a must have for small jobs, or when you need to pack light and small, but in the end, when you have to decide between camera body + good zoom lens (for the f stop mainly) - cage - monitor - microphone/external recorder, OR C100+18-135 STM, then the Canon doesn't seem that big anymore. And when your small mirrorless kit worths more money than your C100, then again, C100 seems more appropriate!

The JVC is a very underrated camera. People just ignore it, they shouldn't. The variable sensor is God send (and in-house manufactured from JVC), if GH5 has a similar sensor (isn't JVC owned by Panasonic anyway?) then it will be an instant hit, negate the small sensor (but true) argument, and adding much more versatility and innovation. Instead, they are going for a 18megapixels one? That is certainly a weird number (as the Sony sensors right now are 16 and 20), so we have to wait for more info, and pricing. 

Many online reviewers seem to have no problem at all with the astronomical price of the Sony A7S Mk ii or A7R Mk ii (body only around $3,000 at B&H). Which is one reason I stopped subscribing to some reviewers who switched over from Panasonic - after all, many of us are hobbyists, not professionals with wads of cash lying around. I did speculate that the GH5 would see a big price hike over the aging GH4, but that is just that, mere speculation. On the other hand, anyone expecting it to come in at around $1,500 or so is just fantasizing, just like those wishing the Sigma Cine line would come in at around $2,000. After all, the GH5 will offer 4K 60p and 10-bit, two features which, by the way, I absolutely do not need, but which differentiate Panasonic from Sony and other manufacturers of mirrorless cameras, and which also entail a cost. And if it does indeed have 10 bit, and can really record 60p internally, I imagine that would mean not having to purchase a $2,000 external recorder, so it would actually represent a savings in that regard. (I haven't kept up with all the different recorders lately, so I pulled that number out of my ...)