Samsung NX Speed Booster

lucabutera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Luca, I did look at the raws a few days ago.  It's solid, but not amazing, I see some loss of sharpness and other minor aberrations.  Maybe Darktable isn't doing the exposure quite right, or the adapter doesn't have great transmission, the brightness was increased by around .35 stops.  Since it's about a 1.1x crop instead of 1x a full stop isn't to be expected, but I was expecting more like .6 or .7 stops.  Still, it's pretty decent, I think I'll get one soon. 

2 hours ago, ttbek said:

Hey Luca, I did look at the raws a few days ago.  It's solid, but not amazing, I see some loss of sharpness and other minor aberrations.  Maybe Darktable isn't doing the exposure quite right, or the adapter doesn't have great transmission, the brightness was increased by around .35 stops.  Since it's about a 1.1x crop instead of 1x a full stop isn't to be expected, but I was expecting more like .6 or .7 stops.  Still, it's pretty decent, I think I'll get one soon. 

reducer needs ED glass

One of the early adaptors (quite literally!) should check video/sharpness settings. Even 0.35 and 1.1 is much better than -0.35 and 1.54! Probably Luca should borrow a working prototype to Marco, to do some tests with different lenses, or someone that Luca trusts, with EF lenses and some knowledge. Some Ultra Wide Zoom, or wide/extreme tele primes, or 24-70/70-200 L and the such.

It is an early try from just one person, trying to achieve what even established companies and engineers didn't. This is very impressive in my opinion, but everything can evolve and mature (or it is dead, but that's another story!), so I will be waiting to see some independent tests and videos, hopefully soon.

On 27/9/2016 at 1:42 PM, ttbek said:

Hey Luca, ho guardato i RAW a pochi giorni fa. E 'solido, ma non eccezionale, vedo una perdita di nitidezza e altre aberrazioni minori. Forse Darktable non sta facendo l'esposizione perfettamente ragione, o l'adattatore non ha grande trasmissione, la luminosità è stata aumentata di circa 0,35 fermate. Dal momento che si tratta di una coltura 1.1x, invece di 1x un punto fermo non deve essere previsto, ma mi aspettavo di più come .6 o .7 fermate. Eppure, è abbastanza decente, penso di ottenere uno presto. 

Hello everyone, sorry for my absence but these days I had to work commitments.
I will try to suit guests Dere to the most important questions.
Thanks ttbek from you technical advice but just me right now I can state with certainty the stop difference. It is very close to -1 stop, (soon I will make a test to evaluate this feature).
As for sharpness, the raw test that I posted, it is fammo first with normal lens, the picture later with adapter took too much light and reflection of white table has over illuminated the scene distorting the result and sharpness. Place another file shot with Canon 50mm f1.8 a photo taken on a wall in broad daylight.

SAM_0035.dng

SAM_0035.jpg

On 27/9/2016 at 1:18 AM, kidzrevil said:

what kind of lens was used for test ? This looks more like super35mm crop than it does full frame.......hmmmm

Hello Kidzrevil, usually you have a good eye, in fact, have you noticed that the crop is less than NXL can do,  but you have not thought to stabilize images in Premiere the picture is cropped! The original file has larger frame.
Meanwhile'm excited to have received your new NXL. I love it!!! They are almost ready. I ask only a little patience. Bye!

SAM_0374.JPG

@lucabutera

Thanks for the hard work Luca, I will buy one when I can afford it, hopefully it still on sale until then, I intend to keep this camera with me, I like things that works very well and I use them until they fall apart from age, your adapter will help me adapt future lenses to it.
I look forward to an electronic adapter, that would be Christmas

Luca can you make more sample pictures, with and without? 
Does the booster create any chromatic aberrations, like blue/green/purple fringing? Can you make a sample with very bright backlight? Like a shoot through the branches of trees towards the sun?
Thanks!

2 hours ago, sidi said:

Just a side note: I would never use a NX logo as you are potentially opening yourself to a trademark infringement lawsuit.

Hi Sidi, thanks for your advice but this would be the good news, "Samsung finds interest in the NX system after months of silence!

They sue me for similar mark, and I sue them for selling me a new camera and closed production after six months!!!!!

@sidi

If someone made a feature film that would go on the cinemas around the world and they used a Samsung NX1 to make it all, Samsung would open their greedy eyes, hopefully.

But until then, lucabutera and many other have contributed greatly after they completely closed their camera section probably sold it off to the North Koreans for all we know.
This reminds me when the Sega Dreamcast was tossed aside by Sega for no reasons, sure it had low sales just like NX1 but the fans were the special kind, the kind of fans you simply just do not get when you sell cheap toasters, no these fans they keep the device alive for years to come on their own because they like it that much, that is the very testimony to a WELL designed, WELL built, and WELL engineered piece of electronics device.

This actually reminds of the Soviets, when the freaking Lada design would still be made well into the 90s, it just worked that well, we still had them on our roads when I was small competing against modern Volvo's and Toyota's.

On 18/9/2016 at 8:42 PM, ttbek said:

Hey Brian, how much opportunity cost are we talking here?  I'm not going to back down from my 10k offer though I suspect that wouldn't exactly cover things, just a feeling, lol.  On the other hand it would be a bit irritating to pay it out and then find out it wasn't so hard after all (possibly, I'll have fun taking a shot either way).  I'm referring to the electronics of course though rather than the lenses.  Also, a question about that for you, is something like an Arduino Nano micro controller really fast enough to handle the spi at native speeds?  I'm going to prototype with one in either case, but if it's not then I may move to FPGA later if the Nano is functional and just sluggish. 

Luca, I would prefer to be one of those supporters, but I guess I'll have to wait for those first shots from others if you're not feeling up to posting two raws, same lens, same framing (tripod), same focus, same aperture.  I know you have video samples, but since I'm not much of one for video that's just not my evaluative area.

Any news about your attempt with nx to canon protocol conversion? Thx.