Jump to content

Has Sony made a baby Alexa?


squig
 Share

Recommended Posts

Remember that "make believe" 1Dc shaped DSLR shell Sony showed at NAB 3 years ago?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-bomb-rumor-first-a9-specs-dual-xqd-card-slot-unlimited-raw-burst/

The day Magic Lantern made 2 second burst raw video possible on the 5D I figured it was only a matter of time before DSLRs shot continuous 24p raw. A few days later it became a reality. It makes a lot of sense for Sony to go raw considering the profit margin on XQD media. I really dig the raw stills from the A7s, the video not so much; the 5D with Magic Lantern is so much better. Bring on NAB!

-2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A) It's unlikely as hell
B) Sony already made a 'mini-Alexa' with the F3.

Sony tried and failed with proprietary media in consumer/prosumer cameras. A number of times. There's a reason there's no more cameras on the market that only take MemoryStick cards anymore. 

I mean, who knows really with the Sony con/pro-sumer digital camera division - they're renegades. I just can't see them taking the gamble on this one.. 

And if, for some reason, they decided to - you'd be looking at a ~$4-5k body, plus the extravagant cost of the XQD media. At which point, why not buy an FS5?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members

It at least sounds good.

"The Bomb Sony A9 rumor: The source sent me this:

“The next generation flagship mirrorless camera from Sony will be a giant leap. It will drop a huge bomb in the imaging industry. It will not be A7III or A7RIII. It will be a new model above A7 series. I would say A9 (let’s name it as the new model). So the new A9 will have dual XQD card slot, no CFast version, only XQD. A9 can do UNLIMITED RAW burst, UNLIMITED. The camera wont pause for buffering.”"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

It at least sounds good.

XQD can write 400MB/s+ fast enough for 4K raw. I'd be happy with 2K, <15ms rolling shutter, and 13+ (no bullshit) stops of DR, and some decent color science!

But yeah it'll probably be overpriced and underspec'd as usual. I expect I'll be shooting with the 5D for at least another year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jax_rox said:

B) Sony already made a 'mini-Alexa' with the F3.

That is what I thought the thread would be about when I saw the thread title....

5 hours ago, jax_rox said:

And if, for some reason, they decided to - you'd be looking at a ~$4-5k body, plus the extravagant cost of the XQD media. At which point, why not buy an FS5?

Because the FS5 can not do raw!!!

And if/when it can, it likely could be crap just like the FS7 raw :-/

5 hours ago, jax_rox said:

Sony tried and failed with proprietary media in consumer/prosumer cameras. A number of times. There's a reason there's no more cameras on the market that only take MemoryStick cards anymore. 


Yeah I strongly suspect CFast will win out over XQD. But if they give their SLT/mirrorless XQD cameras raw video capability then that will give a huge boost to the odds of XQD format thriving. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2015 at 0:43 AM, dsp_418 said:

Funny, when I had the 7D I always had to tweak the colors. Same happened with 5D files. I find Canon's colors so unnatural, in fact I find them too saturated and too contrasty.

I enjoy Sony's color much better.

it has been proven many times that colors are matter to a subjective view, (http://web.mit.edu/abyrne/www/ColorRealism.html) there are many other articles and scientific studies. thus it's just a perspective. you can make it pleasant to some but others will find it disgusting. i share your opinion about canon color, to much saturation, too much contrast

36 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Sony pumps out new cameras every month now.

that is really an insightful comment you made here. wow. thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Because the FS5 can not do raw!!!

And if/when it can, it likely could be crap just like the FS7 raw :-/

It's coming in a firmware (possibly paid?) update.

There's no reason to assume it would be any worse than FS700 raw.

Also, this rumour speaks to raw stills buffer - which I guess theoretically you might be able to shoot 24 still frames per second... But what a pain in the butt...

44 minutes ago, Germy1979 said:

I saw an F35 video the other day.  Frankly it looked like the only time Sony color didn't suck.  They can crank out all they want.  People will go apeshit over specs, but if they don't step up the color game that's all they'll be.  Specs.

Feel free to check out @sonyalpha on Instagram and then come back and tell me Sony colours suck..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, jax_rox said:

It's coming in a firmware (possibly paid?) update.

There's no reason to assume it would be any worse than FS700 raw.

Also, this rumour speaks to raw stills buffer - which I guess theoretically you might be able to shoot 24 still frames per second... But what a pain in the butt...

Feel free to check out @sonyalpha on Instagram and then come back and tell me Sony colours suck..

I have.  And their Red's are still as magenta as always.. And skin still looks as milky and plastic as ever in terms of video.  Just my 2 cents dude.  Viva la Sony.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Germy1979 said:

I have.  And their Red's are still as magenta as always.. And skin still looks as milky and plastic as ever in terms of video.  Just my 2 cents dude.  Viva la Sony.

Now you're moving from opinion to measurable fact. If Sony's reds are magenta, you should find it trivial to tell me which of the following was from a Sony and which was from a Canon. Both direct from camera, no editing. Both set to the same white balance and the scene was illuminated with an incandescent bulb and natural sunlight, with a cheap and nasty LED with significant green problems.

 

1.png

2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, DayRaven said:

Now you're moving from opinion to measurable fact. If Sony's reds are magenta, you should find it trivial to tell me which of the following was from a Sony and which was from a Canon. Both direct from camera, no editing. Both set to the same white balance and the scene was illuminated with an incandescent bulb and natural sunlight, with a cheap and nasty LED with significant green problems.

I'm pretty unbiased, even into the sony colors sometimes. canon can give you yellow skins, and sony can make things muted interestingly, slightly retro or something..? not sure. but these don't seem white balanced the same at all, so somewhere there's a "problem". with a shot like this, if you don't have the other camera right next to it, I'll rarely care if it's "accurate" or whatever. none of those reds are super important or distinctly red... (maybe it's an orange candle, maybe it's a pink one, who cares?). maybe a portrait would have meant more for the test. Canon is usually too warm, and sony is called out for a magenta problem often, so I'd say 1 is sony.

hell yes, the f35 looks awesome all day.

if this camera does raw video, it won't make it a mini alexa. kinda click-baity ;) probably better off getting one of blackmagic's mini alexas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Liam said:

I'm pretty unbiased, even into the sony colors sometimes. canon can give you yellow skins, and sony can make things muted interestingly, slightly retro or something..? not sure. but these don't seem white balanced the same at all, so somewhere there's a "problem". with a shot like this, if you don't have the other camera right next to it, I'll rarely care if it's "accurate" or whatever. none of those reds are super important or distinctly red... (maybe it's an orange candle, maybe it's a pink one, who cares?). maybe a portrait would have meant more for the test. Canon is usually too warm, and sony is called out for a magenta problem often, so I'd say 1 is sony.

hell yes, the f35 looks awesome all day.

if this camera does raw video, it won't make it a mini alexa. kinda click-baity ;) probably better off getting one of blackmagic's mini alexas

The test was part of a deliberate attempt to screw up the sony wb - I'm trying to identify exactly what it's doing and what trips it up. I can say for sure that the Sony was struggling :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Michal Gajdoš said:

it has been proven many times that colors are matter to a subjective view, (http://web.mit.edu/abyrne/www/ColorRealism.html) there are many other articles and scientific studies. thus it's just a perspective. you can make it pleasant to some but others will find it disgusting. i share your opinion about canon color, to much saturation, too much contrast

 

Check out C Log profile from Canon. Low saturation and contrast. Adjust to your liking. Still great Canon colors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DayRaven said:

Now you're moving from opinion to measurable fact. If Sony's reds are magenta, you should find it trivial to tell me which of the following was from a Sony and which was from a Canon. Both direct from camera, no editing. Both set to the same white balance and the scene was illuminated with an incandescent bulb and natural sunlight, with a cheap and nasty LED with significant green problems.

 

1.png

2.png

If I were going off of pretty much every A7 video I've ever seen, I'd say the bottom represents the non-Sony.  - I'm not the only one either.  There are plenty of people who say the same thing regardless of opinion or measurable fact.  No one is saying Sony's are shit dude.  We just don't like their color whether you like it or not.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...