Shot Some 60p Black Magic Micro Cinema Footage

BenEricson

I am really enjoying using the new BMMCC. Black Magic basically fixed everything that was wrong with the original pocket. This was all shot handheld, used two IS lenses, Canon 24-105 and the Canon 35mm f2 IS. I know that this sensor will really shine when you use the Sigma 18-35 and other shallow lenses, but I do think having an IS lens makes the setup incredibly fun to use. 

Some thoughts:

Moire seems improved. (There is one shot in this entire edit that has moire. I shot at around f4-f8 for the whole day.)

The battery life seems to be at least 3 times higher than the original pocket. 

The menu system is incredibly easy to use, despite having less buttons than the original. 

Using the Small HD 501/LUT preview is really really nice with this camera. I used HOOKs LUT to judge exposure. The grade is just simple three way in Magic Bullet Looks.

IMG_5537.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
25 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

I am really enjoying using the new BMMCC. Black Magic basically fixed everything that was wrong with the original pocket. This was all shot handheld, used two IS lenses, Canon 24-105 and the Canon 35mm f2 IS. I know that this sensor will really shine when you use the Sigma 18-35 and other shallow lenses, but I do think having an IS lens makes the setup incredibly fun to use. 

Some thoughts:

Moire seems improved. (There is one shot in this entire edit that has moire. I shot at around f4-f8 for the whole day.)

The battery life seems to be at least 3 times higher than the original pocket. 

The menu system is incredibly easy to use, despite having less buttons than the original. 

Using the Small HD 501/LUT preview is really really nice with this camera. I used HOOKs LUT to judge exposure. The grade is just simple three way in Magic Bullet Looks

Cool. Glad you're enjoying it.

Agree on all points aside from the menu system...

Although the menus are very nicely laid out, the physical controls on this camera are completely laughable.

Better have a lens with an aperture ring on it and hope you don't ever need to change ISO or shutter speed in a hurry!

Just now, Andrew Reid said:

Cool. Glad you're enjoying it.

Agree on all points aside from the menu system...

Although the menus are very nicely laid out, the physical controls on this camera are completely laughable.

Better have a lens with an aperture ring on it and hope you don't ever need to change ISO or shutter speed in a hurry!

I agree, why not add a scroll wheel, but the pocket was a task as well. I guess I should say, it is a bit easier to navigate than one would think by looking at the thing. It feels less cheap over all. 

36 minutes ago, kaylee said:

i love michael stipes vocal in that song i wanna see more of this video lol

thanks for sharing this ben

I know, that's the best part of the song. Thanks for checking it out. 

I can't edit the post, but also would like to add that the audio is much better on the micro camera, also love the full sized HDMI port. 

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe someone will make a control unit for it that attaches to the COM port!

I wrote about this long time ago to SmallRig company and they like the idea of something like Aaton/Sony FS7 Grip with buttons integrated to cage

The footage is oversharped as hell

1 hour ago, shijan said:

You're welcome. Sheesh. :grin: 

I normally add sharpening, because it helps Vimeo not destroy the file when it compresses it. I also normally shoot a lot more shallow, but I was curious how the camera would do with deep focus. I don't own a Sigma 18-35 right now, but that is probably the best lens for this setup. I'll try dialing it down and re-upload. The main focus here was testing the 60p. 

4 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Thanks for the video Ben. 

When looking at the last scene this is what I see:

I guess this is normal Video compression right? 

Here is what it looks like in Premiere. That type of detail on those trees has always been a problem, even with the original pocket. I don't think the 60p increases the moire or aliasing and overall it looked improved to me. 

6 hours ago, shijan said:

Re-uploaded the source file without sharpening if you're curious. Thanks.

Export.jpg

7 hours ago, JazzBox said:

Super good and filmic look! Great! I'm going to find one! 

Do you know where to buy a similar rig/cage in Europe (or something that could work with BMMCC and a monitor)?

Thanks, the camera is a lot of fun. Below are a few different cages that could work well. The fitted cage is awesome. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272045515977?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272086620613?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

None of the rigs convinces me.

Particularly this:

Hontoo.jpg

How's that supposed to be held? Both front handles rest on the potbelly, left hand takes wooden grip (why wood?), right hand squeezes it's way from beneath to operate the absolutely useless follow focus ....

The handle needs to be on the right side, the smallHD 501 with sidefinder left. Needs to be a compact unit, like a camcorder.

^agreed. I had the same thoughts when I saw that cage.

Someone needs to make an aftermarket cage/monitor combo that turns this thing into a small portable DSLR type setup, that would sell well I think, just pop it in and out depending on your day/shoot.

Great shots here!! Moire and aliasing seems really low with your lenses, but i've found a lot of it in those two tests videos, and it's the same kind of aliasing-moire artefacts that we've got from the bmpcc :   /watch?v=JNOJDg-5Jhc   -   vimeo.com/160548364

I'm really not sure that you can avoid it with "over" sharp lenses like the Sigma 18-35, and worse if it's speed boosted  :/

On 29 marzo 2016 at 7:46 PM, BenEricson said:

Thank you!