Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Turning "off" the Noise Reduction can only be done if somewhere in the lines of code there is a "on" or "off" data entry point. Or if there is something like a line that says "NR level = x".

If nothing like that turns up, then the noise reduction is built into the Codec and won't be removable.

Hopefully the reality is Option #1!

5 minutes ago, DPStewart said:

Turning "off" the Noise Reduction can only be done if somewhere in the lines of code there is a "on" or "off" data entry point. Or if there is something like a line that says "NR level = x".

If nothing like that turns up, then the noise reduction is built into the Codec and won't be removable.

Aye, I agree but initially there is a difference between low resolution JPEG's with normal compression selected versus 2160p video with the same settings from my tests.

Clearly, JPEG's are favouring lower NR levels or are down-sampled differently from video mode.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/samsung-nx1/samsung-nx1HI_ISO_NR.HTM

You can see the higher ISO gets for JPEG's we start to see the mosquito noise we experience in video mode. That could mean, that there is indeed more likely a 1, 2, 3 etc setting for NR and probably not truly an off and on switch. Just speculations at my point but I am with you, hopefully its option 1 but even if it was not a much lower setting would still be way better than its currently at because its way too high. I shot a video at 100ISO in 2160p in a room lit by its own lights, it was underexposed perhaps by 0.1 or 0.2 stops and I zoomed in on the dark areas in post, what do I see? No grain details whatsoever, blocky artefacts and mosquito noise and this is ISO100, Samsung what the hell?

3 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

Aye, I agree but initially there is a difference between low resolution JPEG's with normal compression selected versus 2160p video with the same settings from my tests.

Clearly, JPEG's are favouring lower NR levels or are down-sampled differently from video mode.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/samsung-nx1/samsung-nx1HI_ISO_NR.HTM

You can see the higher ISO gets for JPEG's we start to see the mosquito noise we experience in video mode. That could mean, that there is indeed more likely a 1, 2, 3 etc setting for NR and probably not truly an off and on switch. Just speculations at my point but I am with you, hopefully its option 1 but even if it was not a much lower setting would still be way better than its currently at because its way too high. I shot a video at 100ISO in 2160p in a room lit by its own lights, it was underexposed perhaps by 0.1 or 0.2 stops and I zoomed in on the dark areas in post, what do I see? No grain details whatsoever, blocky artefacts and mosquito noise and this is ISO100, Samsung what the hell?

Yes.

When I first saw the first Samsung promotional videos shot with the NX1 the macro-blocking and noise reduction were SO BAD that I immediately dismissed the cameras as "never a consideration". 
Their Firmware updates improved it A LOT and that's why I finally decided to got one.

2 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Ive seen portions of the fw that point to when its enabled, Bad news is its deep in the fw. Part of what ive been doing is working on how to make things like this be possible. Although the mjpeg is a different story. But I have many nots on that subject. I have priorities with my work though, and much of it is secondary to my focus, but its not an impossibility. I am looking for directions to where it may be able to be disabled or limited and enacted through scripting but as of yet nothing has come to fruition.

As Ive stated my updates are less  forthcoming as there is so much to do I am still sorting through the fw and tracking how things do what they do. But I keep finding things that are to my expectations and assumptions which is good when building something like this.

I have also spotted a few things that may allow the camera to boot from a save state off the sd so somthing like magic lantern could be possible. Yes to confirm. But again things point to it being a possibility

otto is working on a gui for the scripts he, vasile and hirsti produced. This is not very far from a magic lantern sw.

as to the nr, there is the option to enable or disable it, but I never understood if it affect also video or only jpg stills. It should be investigated and seen if it stores the variable of 'nr on' somewhere, like it happens for bitrate.

36 minutes ago, vasile said:

Useful (I hope) for both NX1 and NX500 users: http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57583300

Thanks mate, I cannot wait for the 60mbps replacement for 25fps 1080p as it seems 1080p is the only one substantially benefiting from bitrate increase at least to the eye.

Nice work non the less, you deserve many shekels and gratitudes! 

EDIT: I am a fool, I should have looked in the zip before making haste posting a comment, 60mbps pro added for both NX1 and NX500 also HQ.

19 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

Thanks mate, I cannot wait for the 60mbps replacement for 25fps 1080p as it seems 1080p is the only one substantially benefiting from bitrate increase at least to the eye.

Nice work non the less, you deserve many shekels and gratitudes! 

Read the README.txt ;-) and also take a look at nx-bitrate-map.png

Brilliant vasile, really looking forward to trying this out when I get my nx1 (lent it to a friend).

quick question (this may have been answered but I did not see it).

By increasing the bitrate for 120fps in FHD; Is there any significant boost in quality?

41 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

Has anyone tested to see if the high bitrate improves the 1080p 60fps quality?

15 minutes ago, AaronL said:

Brilliant vasile, really looking forward to trying this out when I get my nx1 (lent it to a friend).

quick question (this may have been answered but I did not see it).

By increasing the bitrate for 120fps in FHD; Is there any significant boost in quality?

Here you guys go:

1 hour ago, Marco Tecno said:

Did somebody solve the 106fps issue (instead of 120fps) when using higher bitrates?

I think max. bitrate (according my tests) is 110Mbps to have full 120fps. 

Thanks to latest hack version by Vasile I could set this value to HQ mode and 180Mbps to PRO mode - if need 120fps I just change PRO to HQ.

2 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

Has anyone tested to see if the high bitrate improves the 1080p 60fps quality?

Yes, more significant improvement than for 4K: 

I can use full available bitrate (180Mbps with Lexar 2000x), image is very nice (I will start it much more than 120fps now), only (yes, heavy) line skipping, no macroblocking.

Pavel, very interesting. I still can't understand the reason for the reduced framerate when a higher bitrate is chosen. The higher the bitrate, the less work cpu has to do.

Btw, is there a way to create a shortcuts for video like this? :

Ev+fn= 4k, pro, pal, 25fps, 1x, dis

Ev+mobile= 1080, high, ntsc, 30, 0.25x, no dis