Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

regarding the sharpness: i'm starting to believe -10 = no post sharpening, like someone else suggested. i did some tests with many details and sharpening -10. i couldn't find any interpolated edge sharpening, which is usually visible by ringing artifacts. my consumption: the oversharpening some are seeing is a result of a downsampler, probably bicubic ... is there a way to change this? i don't know.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 19/04/2016 at 5:29 PM, vaga said:

Looks like many of the Samsung lenses are on sale right now (including $300 off each of the S Lenses) at B&H.

Unfortunately, the NX1 camera body seems to be discontinued everywhere. (Sad news for people like me that don't want to buy used camera bodies).

@vaga

http://www.adorama.com/ISGNX1.html?utm_source=rflaid912994

$1199

Just now, vaga said:

@vasile

Replacing the resolution in the VGA slot on the NX500 gave you 2.5k 30 and 60 fps. By replacing the resolution in 720p 120fps option, can you get 1080 (or maybe even 2.5k!) 120 slow mo?

doubt it, but might also, later on, release a complete resolution mod à la my bitrate mod.

2 hours ago, RieGo said:

regarding the sharpness: i'm starting to believe -10 = no post sharpening, like someone else suggested. i did some tests with many details and sharpening -10. i couldn't find any interpolated edge sharpening, which is usually visible by ringing artifacts. my consumption: the oversharpening some are seeing is a result of a downsampler, probably bicubic ... is there a way to change this? i don't know.

Wouldn't that mean the nx500 4k at -10 sharpness doesn't have the oversharpemed look people talk about?

1 hour ago, vasile said:

@vaga

By replacing the resolution in 720p 120fps option, can you get 1080 (or maybe even 2.5k!) 120 slow mo

It is very clear what a mighty achievement you have,

and how cool your Hacks are Vasile. They are mega cool. I am in awe. 

Also Kudos to you, and to Otto, for being so level headed throughout these developments. 

Vaga's suggestion is also v exciting.  120fps in decent quality would be another groundbreaking event.

for Nx500 owners who like doing slo-mo, it would be a game changer.

This is not exactly on topic, but I have some questions:
1. I would be happy, if anyone can help me in applying Andrews  lut in Premiere Pro CS6 on Win7.
Help is much appreciated! Who can help?
2. Did anyone shoot with external recorder? Is there a definite difference in the ability to grade colors in Post?

49 minutes ago, Anton Chugar said:

This is not exactly on topic, but I have some questions:
1. I would be happy, if anyone can help me in applying Andrews  lut in Premiere Pro CS6 on Win7.
Help is much appreciated! Who can help?
2. Did anyone shoot with external recorder? Is there a definite difference in the ability to grade colors in Post?

Do you have LUT Buddy from Red Giant installed? 

15 minutes ago, tugela said:

The trouble is that many equate resolution with oversharpened, because they are looking for soft footage.

true. also many people are watching it on 1080p monitors, which obviously downsamples as well....

1 hour ago, tugela said:

The trouble is that many equate resolution with oversharpened, because they are looking for soft footage.

Ahh, that's interesting. Yeah, I saw the hateful eight on film. it definitely wasn't sharpened digitally, and it definitely wasn't soft. Though I still feel I'm seeing sharpening in these nx cameras, I just suspect it's better sharpening than others. Or that it's such high res and sharp, the combo, you don't see the downsides of it until you punch way in

Hmmm you guys could be right about the downscaling of the sensor and screen you are viewing the footage on can attribute to the oversharpening look. 

Any improvement in image quality with the bit rate hacks ? Hoping we can get the h.265 codec bitrate high enough to at least eliminate macroblocking. I can settle for that for sure

How hard would it be to remove the block on the NX1 so that the Samsung Camera Manager app functions while using manual lenses? Would be great to have wireless live view while using non Samsung Glass. Thanks everyone! 

BTW, for anyone interested in developing, I am posting the link for accessing all NX1 firmware files again for ease of access. I usually grant access pretty quickly when a request comes in. Access the files here: https://drive.google.com/a/cmcfirm.com/folderview?id=0Bwt0uzFgEoRkQ2ZLOUJOM295UGM&usp=sharing

The entire firmware history (v1.01, v1.10, v1.20, v1.21, v1.22, v1.30, v1.31, v1.32, and v1.40) for the NX1 is now archived in that link:

Happy to help and really am impressed by what you all have accomplished thus far!

@sandro sure, that's what I'm doing. Nx1/nx500 are running tizen 2.2 Linux with full stack X and built in EFL toolkit (terrible toolkit, but that's what it's got). It would be possible to cross compile Qt and use that as well as other usual suspects like wx and the like. 

For storage on camera, you have read write partition under /opt and of course /mnt/mmc. If you take a look at my github you will see several examples (like small utilities fit focus stacking, popup prompt windows, etc). 

@Otto K I would be happy with iOS Samsung Camera Manager/NX500. If there were RAW photo shooting possible. There is only JPG shooting. Is this hardware related? All my other cameras brands can shoot RAW via wifi. I would be extremely happy if RAW (.SRW) remote shooting could be made possible.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, hini said:

@Otto K I would be happy with iOS Samsung Camera Manager/NX500. If there were RAW photo shooting possible. There is only JPG shooting. Is this hardware related? All my other cameras brands can shoot RAW via wifi. I would be extremely happy if RAW (.SRW) remote shooting could be made possible.

Thank you

Weird, I get raw via Android Samsung Camera Manager, could be something wrong with your settings? I am pretty sure both apps are the same I get an option to choose either JPEG, RAW or both.

But then again there is like two Camera apps for the NX1 and NX500 on the Android.

On 4/21/2016 at 6:19 PM, kidzrevil said:

Hmmm you guys could be right about the downscaling of the sensor and screen you are viewing the footage on can attribute to the oversharpening look. 

Any improvement in image quality with the bit rate hacks ? Hoping we can get the h.265 codec bitrate high enough to at least eliminate macroblocking. I can settle for that for sure

what's wrong with the quality of the bitrate hack?