Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How can there be this many posts with people complaining about the camera not having this or that? 

Standard nerdy-nam-nam. Species typical behaviour. People love to complain about cameras that no one has even used yet. It's just what gadget geeks do. The EOSHD forum is no exception to the rule. 

So let's just carry on and ignore the noise for now, while waiting for the full reviews by Mr. Reid and others like him. ;)

this camera opens up a whole posibility that I think has been over looked .....

It is 1.6 aspc crop which is roughly 35mm cinema camera frame size so we are in proper film dof and looks region here.

So no excuses there , its the same frame size approx as an Epic and Alexa.

The Sony A6000 will take the superb Carl Zeiss Sony Alpha mount Vario Sonar Lenses !!

Yes at last a camera worthy of this steller glass

The 24-70mm f2.8 would be a killer lens on the A6000 ,

you could probably shoot 80% of your film on that one lens alone its that good .

they also do a 16-35mm f2.8  to cover your wide shots...

Zeiss 3d 'pop' ,contrast and colours on a x1.6 camera that is producing a very very clean image is a great proposition

for narative film style work.

I have been wanting to use Zeiss Sony Alpha lenses on micro 4/3 for ages but they have no aperture control on Panasonic cameras

so Im using fully manual Zeiss C/Y mount and Zeiss N Mount Vario Sonar zooms (still with open aperture) on Micro 4/3

Being able to use the Zeiss Sony Alpha Vario Sonar 24-70mm f2.8 on a great small camera .....well the posibilities are endless.....

I'm sure it would give a Red Epic and Arri Alexa a good run for the money on image quaility with Zeiss glass .....yes you have less DR but its all how about you use it!!

I'm contemplating a switch ........

Should be back now. Copy was having problems. Please try and again and let me know if it's still broken.

https://www.copy.com/s/edilC2jd0kbi

This clip does look impressive actually, MUCH better than the mushy footage I got from my a65. The footage on the camerlabs site isn't as impressive though, altthough that maybe due to vimeo's compression. I'd like to see other mts examples in different conditions. 
If Sony can keep up this quality and introduce a higher bitrate codec I think I'll be tempted back to them from my GH3 when they get their new cameras out.

The 24-70mm f2.8 would be a killer lens on the A6000 ,

you could probably shoot 80% of your film on that one lens alone its that good .

they also do a 16-35mm f2.8  to cover your wide shots...

I'm contemplating a switch ........

I had a Tamron 24-70/2.8 for the d600 which I sold and now regret.  Just curious, Andy, if you feel the Tamron and Zeiss are similar?

I saw the same thing with the Camera Labs footage.  I think Andrew made a disparaging comment on it, then took it down (rightfully).  But I can say it.  I think Camera Labs screwed up the outdoor footage somehow.  Either wrong camera settings or video compression, etc.  

Tamron and Ziess are light years apart

The Zeiss Varios Sonar lenses are in a different league to other lenses in my book,

unreal micro levels of detail and this gives your images a 3d style POP to them they just jump off the screen like no other lens Ive used

switch to Zeiss!!  please!!

the cheaperst lens to get is the Carl Zeiss Vario Sonar 28-70mm in C/Y mount , fully manual and a stunning lens

Andy with the speed booster does it become a F2.5-3.2?

yes something like that it makes it a versitile lens as the speedbooster makes it x0.7 wider too

so if you have a normal dumb adaptor too you can get the best of both worlds out this lens

nornal and speedboosted

the thing that impresses me about Andrew's clip of him filming lenses and cameras on his table,

is it is filmed at 640 iso in very low light and it is very very clean I can hardly see any noise , especially in the blacks !!

I very rarely shoot above 400 iso on my G6 , I try and keep the iso as low a possible

with the A6000 you can shoot 640 iso all night and not worry about any noise..........intestesting

Andy, I agree that the 1.6x crop sensor is a huge advantage in the a6000. I've been debating the switch from 1.6x to m43 for a long while now, and I just don't think I can do it.... there are too many advantages with the 1.6x crop, especially in terms of using older glass... 

I believe it's a perfect balance between FF and m43. You still get most of the character of 35mm lenses coming through, but the added depth of field is beneficial for filming... that FF shallow DOF is an effect that should be used sparingly in my opinion, akin to tilt/shift in a way. 

I look forward to seeing tests posted here from Andrew. 

As for the Cameralabs tests, I think that his videos are often misleading. It's a shame that 90% of the early testers out there are kind of bad at photography and video. It takes a skilled cinematographer/photographer/editor to know how to coax out the true quality of a camera and then present it accurately without ruining the footage somewhere along the way.

But I guess that these testers sometimes only get a very short time to test each camera, and they are probably more focused on the technical side of things... 

Andy, I agree that the 1.6x crop sensor is a huge advantage in the a6000. I've been debating the switch from 1.6x to m43 for a long while now, and I just don't think I can do it.... there are too many advantages with the 1.6x crop, especially in terms of using older glass... 

I believe it's a perfect balance between FF and m43. You still get most of the character of 35mm lenses coming through, but the added depth of field is beneficial for filming... that FF shallow DOF is an effect that should be used sparingly in my opinion, akin to tilt/shift in a way. 

I look forward to seeing tests posted here from Andrew. 

As for the Cameralabs tests, I think that his videos are often misleading. It's a shame that 90% of the early testers out there are kind of bad at photography and video. It takes a skilled cinematographer/photographer/editor to know how to coax out the true quality of a camera and then present it accurately without ruining the footage somewhere along the way.

But I guess that these testers sometimes only get a very short time to test each camera, and they are probably more focused on the technical side of things... 

yes I dont like filmimg on Full Frame cameras or if I have to I stop down to f4 max and ususlly f5.6 and below as the narrow DOF gets too much !!

I dont like it at all - its like filming in Vista Vision and they stopped doing that years ago

The Epic and Alexa are not full frame cameras as you dont film movies full frame

x1.6 aspc size sensors are best as you can use proper cinema lenses on them - try adding one of those to a full frame 5D ... you cant.

• Administrators

You know what I mean.

A one shot AF confirm to grab focus quickly is fine, then AF lock, I have used that myself. But the hunting and electronic buzzing of AF is not suitable for cinema. Photojournalists if aesthetics don't matter, then yeah, grab the shot whichever way you can.