Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roman

Olympus EM-10 or Panasonic GX7??

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

So i'm a Canon 5D Mark III owner and i'm looking for a smaller compact camera as a travel camera, B cam and for street photography. I mainly do video, so video features and quality is important but stills is equally important for personal projects if i'm not taking my Canon out. 

I've narrowed my choice down to two options - the Oly EM-10 and the Pany GX7. As far as i'm aware the picture quality (in stills) for both cameras is similar. However the GX7 has a 1/8000s mechanical shutter and a silent electronic shutter (which i'm not sure the EM10 has) and I do like the tilting EVF. 

The EM10 however has that fantastic IBIS (3 axis not 5 but footage shows it works almost as well). The only thing that is disappointing is the 30p restriction and the video quality/options aren't up to par with the GX7.

Can anyone offer me any advice on which they think is a better choice? Particularly if you own or have used either of these cameras (or even the similar EM-5/EM-1) please share your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic cameras EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras

The 3 axis stabalization will be good but for me doesn't trump the better handling/interface, video focus peaking and video quality of the GX7.

I feel the opposite, and I'm a GX7 owner.  Depends on what you're doing though and how you want to do it.  I have a project coming up that 5-axis stabilization will help make much more productive.

If it were only about image resolution/robustness though, I'd stick with my GX7.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• FS Panasonic G7 + Zhongyi Lens Turbo II
      By Rodolfo Fernandes
      For sale is a like new Panasonic G7 with box and all acessories and kit lens, bought it in December 2016 to try it out liked it but want something more, has no signs of use and is in perfect condition.

Also included is a Zhongyi Lens Turbo ii, Nikon to M43 adapter, like new also, comes with box and all that came with it.

Item is located in Portugal, price is 550€ for the set shipping is extra, for any more info or details please pm me.
    • FS: Panasonic 25mm 1.7, Panasonic 14-42mm 3.5-5.6
      By Matt Kieley
      I have for sale the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 lens, bought new last month, barely used (just for some test footage). Includes the original caps.
      $200 OBO

Panasonic 14-42mm 3.5-5.6 - This came with the bmpcc I just bought. It appears to be in clean and in working order. Includes generic caps.
      $80 OBO

• Americanah - Concept trailer - shot on GH4
      By deezid
      Would like to know what you think about our newest work.
      Shot with the infamous Panasonic GH4, internal V-LOG 8bit, -5/-5 NR and sharpness. Used Panasonic lenses: 12-35mm 2.8, 20mm 1.7 and 42.5mm 1.7. Used a Tiffen Black Satin Filter to get rid of the sharpning artifacts still left over at -5 and add some smoothness to highlights and shadows.
      Budget: about 0$.

• Olympus 12-40mm 2.8 PRO Lens
      By PabloB
      I'm selling my Olympus 12-40mm 2.8 PRO Lens. Comes with UV Filter.  Price £450