Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roman

Olympus EM-10 or Panasonic GX7??

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

So i'm a Canon 5D Mark III owner and i'm looking for a smaller compact camera as a travel camera, B cam and for street photography. I mainly do video, so video features and quality is important but stills is equally important for personal projects if i'm not taking my Canon out. 

I've narrowed my choice down to two options - the Oly EM-10 and the Pany GX7. As far as i'm aware the picture quality (in stills) for both cameras is similar. However the GX7 has a 1/8000s mechanical shutter and a silent electronic shutter (which i'm not sure the EM10 has) and I do like the tilting EVF. 

The EM10 however has that fantastic IBIS (3 axis not 5 but footage shows it works almost as well). The only thing that is disappointing is the 30p restriction and the video quality/options aren't up to par with the GX7.

Can anyone offer me any advice on which they think is a better choice? Particularly if you own or have used either of these cameras (or even the similar EM-5/EM-1) please share your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!

The 3 axis stabalization will be good but for me doesn't trump the better handling/interface, video focus peaking and video quality of the GX7.

I feel the opposite, and I'm a GX7 owner.  Depends on what you're doing though and how you want to do it.  I have a project coming up that 5-axis stabilization will help make much more productive.

If it were only about image resolution/robustness though, I'd stick with my GX7.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Start of a New Years Resolution to shoot more with my GH4.
      By George Adamson
      My new years resolution for 2016 is to take my camera as many places as I can and make a monthly video summary!
      I had a little go at practising this last month in December, I didn’t film nearly as much as I would have liked but hopefully I’ll get better at it over the new year.
      Cheers for watching, I'll keep anyone who's interested up to date with how its going - it would be really cool if anyone's doing the same or similar to share their videos too. 
    • My trip to Cambodia... in 4K
      By Nangtendo
      This was shot entirely hand held with the GH4, 12 35 2.8. Edited on Premiere Pro, with post stabilization. CineD @4K 25p
    • It Must Be the Weather - A freestyle snowboard short - GH3
      By Julien Miscischia
      Hi fox ! This is my last edit, a short film about freestyle snowboarding. A beautiful day in a marvelous park (La Clusaz) with the two killers Matteo Cuny and Nicolas Palladio. Top of the pop, we finished with a beautiful sunset. So glad and happy to have shot this.
      Comments are welcome dudes! Some pics of the session can be found here : http://www.switchmag.fr/decouverte/2015/11391-session-park-a-la-clusaz-matteo-cuny-nico-palladio.html 
    • Canon, Nikon, Panasonic - What should I get?
      By ethan_gd
      Im a novice filmmaker and I've been following websites like EOSHD, reading blogs like Philip Blooms and generally for the last 6-8 months researching camera gear while I have been saving up enough to buy my own gear and not just borrow friends. I am looking to spend about $1500 at first.

I love video and intend to shoot more, but I also shoot a lot of stills as well and that is obviously where my problems start. I would be very happy to buy a G6 or a used GH3 for video as I know these will outclass almost anything at that price range for video. Add a bunch of old nikkor primes and id be set. But I know stills and the DOF id get with the mft mount is nothing like that of a APS-C or FF nikon or canon. 

THE SONY A7s is amazing and if i could afford one I'd get it in a heartbeat, it retails at 3300 NZD here in NZ so its ridiculously out of my price range. Im looking to go second hand as it'll mean i can buy more lenses and such. 

Ive been looking at used 7D and D7100 bodies as both sit between 700-800 used meaning i could easily pick up a 50mm 1.8 prime, a 17-50 sigma or tamron 2.8 and maybe a telephoto lens for stills. 

Any suggestions or help I don't know what else to read or look at but I know what I buy now will influence my decisions and I'm not sure what to invest in. 

Also side note; if I purchase a 7D i will be shooting near exclusively with ML.

• Testing lenses - GH4 + Iscorama + Metabones Speedbooster + Tokina
      By nahua
      Testing out lenses with the Iscorama 36 wide open.  I really want that separation from the background.  It's easy now with the Metabones Speedbooster EF.  There is something to be said about full frame lenses used with the Speedbooster vs micro 4/3rds native lenses.  Also the Iscorama is the sharpest of the anamorphic adapters, although there are still some lenses that don't do well wide open.  Shot on a GH4 4K (before v2.0 firmware, 16:9).  Iscorama minimum distance is around 6 feet, half that with the Tokina +0.4 diopter.