Canon 70D or Nikon D5300 or something else for video?

jasondhsd

Hi I'm a completely new to the dslr video world but I'd like to get started. Checking out the reviews online and what fits what I'm willing to spend I think I narrowed it down to the Canon 70D or the Nikon D5300  I just plan on getting a body and then purchasing a sigma 18-35mm 1.8f lens and a good shotgun mic.

I've been waffling back and forth as to which one to get.  The 70D is a better all-around camera and a class above the D5300 in it's , touch screen UI, better build quality, weather resistant, quieter, autofocus that's actually somewhat usable, good low-light performance, better live view simulation and controls, better features for still photography. 

The D5300 however has some nice advantages as far as video goes, slightly better low light performance, virtually no moire, better dynamic range, headphone jack to monitor audio, and ability to output uncompressed HDMI, and from videos I've seen the image quality does look slightly better especially when filming people the D5300 shows the subjects skin texture & pores a lot clearer compared to 70D where it's a bit blurred 

How in the world do I choose?  I would love to eventually get a Blackmagic 4k camera down the road if I can get good enough to make some money with this, not sure if that would have a bearing on what camera and lenses to get now. Thanks for any input. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It depends on what you want to do with it and your budget. I have the D5300, am happy with it and would buy it again if I were purchasing again today.

I was looking for a camera that 1. could use my existing Nikon lenses with (including my still photography strobes/accessories etc.) 2. Was well under $1000 3. Had very good low light performance 4. Could double nicely as a high-res backup still camera in a Nikon system 5. Was lightweight and could yield a decent image without having to rely on expensive/cumbersome rigs, time-consuming raw workflows, needing a faster computer and massive storage solutions. The D5300 ticks all of those boxes nicely for me and I happen to like the "look" of it's footage a bit better than the other options in the same budget category. 

However, If I didn't already have Nikon lenses, and didn't care about having a good back-up still camera, and the best low-light performance... I'd likely look more closely at either the 70D, but would likely favor the Panasonic G6 with Metabones adaptor that's so popular on this site. 

From what I understand, d5300 should be better quality of video wise. Definitely a better sensor.

It slams the 70d in photography. Not close. You're talking 24mp, no AA filter, and dynamic range at lower isos that easily trumps the full frame 5D III.

So for me it'd be an easy choice:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D5300-versus-Canon-EOS-70D___919_895

All that said. . . the Panasonic gh3 is going to produce better video quality, easily.  (expect maybe in really low light situations compared to the d5300 perhaps)  But would lag behind the d5300 a bit in stills while being just as good if not better than the canon.

I'm not much a fan of what canon is producing anymore. The raw video hack can be amazing... but the rest is mediocre and you can easily do better with other systems. Their sensor tech is outdated.

Honestly, I think it comes down to your personal preferences; which cam 'feels' nicer.

While many agree that Canon (without hack) is surpassed by Nikon, Sony and Panasonic; I still feel it delivers quite good quality, it certainly has a better cinematic feel than your average camcorder. I don't know if the RAW hack is available for the 70D, but the AF is quite a nice touch for someone who is new to DSLR; gradually you could go over to MF. 

D5300 would be a little more challenging as it offers no peaking for example, but video quality as well as stills are very, very good!

I started with the 60D, but while I'm waiting for the BMPCC v2.0 or 3.0, in the meantime, I'm placing my bets on m43. Panasonic seems to understand what we videographers need and want, rumors have it they're creating a new organic sensor. And with Olympus on their way, some good things are about to happen in m43-world.

70D crossed my mind, but Canon essentially isn't improving anymore (except for the new AF-system). D5300 was an option too, as I really like Nikon stills, but the Panasonic-series offer peaking and other videographic goodies, and with the Speedbooster, an amazing arsenal of lenses is available. So I bit the bullet and (after some good advice here on the forum) bought the Pana G6 just to start out; it's so cheap now it's no shame to replace it in 1-2 years, while I'm investing now in a Speedbooster and some lenses which will last a lot longer!

Jason, FYI:

The D5300 doesn't have a headphone jack.

Any claim that the GH3 gives better video quality than the D5300 is entirely subjective. The GH3 has better resolution, but the D5300 has better dynamic range, colour, low light and a larger sensor. I prefer the D5300 image to the GH3's. The GH3 is easier to use for video, so in that way you may get better video from it. The D5300 is a bit of a pain to use, but if you're talking about graduating to pro stuff like BMPC4K down the road, you need to learn your way around a camera anyway.

The G6, GM1 and GX7 are the only Panasonic models with focus peaking AFAIK.

Personally I wouldn't buy any Canon APS-C DSLR - including the 70D. Moire, aliasing and softness are deal breakers for me (and relative to D5300 poor low light and DR too). I own a G6 and a D5300, having sold my Canon 600D because I was tired of softness, moire and aliasing. You'll get that with a 70D too. Autofocus might be nice, but if you're looking to learn how to shoot like a pro then manual is the way to go.

The G6 is by far the best deal out there at the moment for video. I would recommend it as a perfect camera for a beginner who wants to learn how to shoot video 'properly' - it has all the tools you need and is so easy to use compared to Canon, Nikon etc. The difficulty is deciding whether to go for MFT glass or get an adapter/speed booster and use Nikon mount glass. MFT is perhaps the easy route as it's small and communicates with the camera. SB + Nikon mount (e.g. Sigma 18-35; AI-s manual primes) is the best investment because you can use them on almost any future camera you buy, the result is more filmic than MFT, and the SB gives you Super-35mm crop and improved low-light. The G6 gives you all the tools you need to shoot with manual lenses anyway (peaking, histogram, etc). Resolution of the G6 is much better than the D5300, and it's easier to use, but in all other ways I prefer the D5300 image.

My 2 cents  :)

Jason, FYI:

The D5300 doesn't have a headphone jack.

Any claim that the GH3 gives better video quality than the D5300 is entirely subjective. The GH3 has better resolution, but the D5300 has better dynamic range, colour, low light and a larger sensor. I prefer the D5300 image to the GH3's. The GH3 is easier to use for video, so in that way you may get better video from it. The D5300 is a bit of a pain to use, but if you're talking about graduating to pro stuff like BMPC4K down the road, you need to learn your way around a camera anyway.

The G6, GM1 and GX7 are the only Panasonic models with focus peaking AFAIK.

Personally I wouldn't buy any Canon APS-C DSLR - including the 70D. Moire, aliasing and softness are deal breakers for me (and relative to D5300 poor low light and DR too). I own a G6 and a D5300, having sold my Canon 600D because I was tired of softness, moire and aliasing. You'll get that with a 70D too. Autofocus might be nice, but if you're looking to learn how to shoot like a pro then manual is the way to go.

The G6 is by far the best deal out there at the moment for video. I would recommend it as a perfect camera for a beginner who wants to learn how to shoot video 'properly' - it has all the tools you need and is so easy to use compared to Canon, Nikon etc. The difficulty is deciding whether to go for MFT glass or get an adapter/speed booster and use Nikon mount glass. MFT is perhaps the easy route as it's small and communicates with the camera. SB + Nikon mount (e.g. Sigma 18-35; AI-s manual primes) is the best investment because you can use them on almost any future camera you buy, the result is more filmic than MFT, and the SB gives you Super-35mm crop and improved low-light. The G6 gives you all the tools you need to shoot with manual lenses anyway (peaking, histogram, etc). Resolution of the G6 is much better than the D5300, and it's easier to use, but in all other ways I prefer the D5300 image.

My 2 cents  :)

d5300's sensor has better dynamic range, but I've not seen that this translates to better dynamic range in video as compared to the GH3. Any evidence you can point to for this?

SB + Nikon mount (e.g. Sigma 18-35; AI-s manual primes) is the best investment because you can use them on almost any future camera you buy, the result is more filmic than MFT, and the SB gives you Super-35mm crop and improved low-light. 

I just went this route, Jason, also because in the future with Nikon lenses you could switch back to Nikon DSLR for films (or stills, always loved Nikon for stills). Canon lenses won't fit on the Nikon cams (if I'm correct), but Nikon lenses do fit on Canon DSLRs with an adapter.

So, if you go G6+SB or D5300 you're always future proof. 

d5300's sensor has better dynamic range, but I've not seen that this translates to better dynamic range in video as compared to the GH3. Any evidence you can point to for this?

Samuel Hurtado, who created the Flaat profiles, thinks the D5300 is "best in class" from his preliminary tests. See this thread.

I shot this video on the 5300:

In my opinion and experience you can't really go wrong with any of the options you listed, but it also depends on whether you're only shooting video or not. 

The Canons do have a lot of flaws that can be very annoying (such as Moire, Aliasing, mushy and not very detailed image, lack of proper 60p mode) but you can create some fantastic results with it if you find ways to avoid these issues. The AF system of the 70D is supposed to be very nice and the lens selection is fantastic, at least when it comes to Canon glass. 

On paper the D5300 sounds like a fantastic camera for someone who's shooting stills and video and the dynamic range looks awesome, much better than the DR of most Canons. It has some weird things going on in terms of overall handling and control, but since you're learning everything from scratch it doesn't matter really as it's just a matter of getting used to the camera. 

I'm sort of in the same situation as you are, have been shooting with a Canon 600D for the past two years and now I've finally pulled the trigger on a Panasonic GH3. I'm also thinking about selling all my Canon stuff and buying an additional D5300 for stills + low light video. I'm thinking a GH3 + Metabones Speed Booster + Nikon lenses + a D5300 would be a killer combination for shooting video and stills. 

Another option you should definitely look into is the Panasonic G6. The video mode is supposed to be fantastic and the camera can be had for very little money. But definitely make sure to go to a camera store and pick up each model. They will feel very differently and it'll come down to your personal preferences. 

Also keep in mind that lenses are way more important than the body you're shooting with. Considering the speed that new cameras with better features have been put out, you'll most likely keep the lenses much longer than you'll keep the body. 

Either way, you can't really go wrong with any of the options you listed above. But if I were you I'd invest into the MFT / Nikon system as opposed to Canon IF you like the way Panasonics and Nikons handle. 

For my need, I would never go Canon any-more. I cannont bear the moire/aliasing and the low rez muddy look. For the rest it is more like best image quality in the D5300 and best convenience into the the Panasonic line. One good advice is the lens choice as it will last much longer than the camera body and Nikon is a good one because it will fit almost anything.

One advantage that people rarely talk about the Nikon D5300 is the uncompressed hdmi output. For $ 200/300 you can add a nice monitor that will be much better for exposure/focusing than the tiny inbuilt screen in other dslr. For $ 700 you can have a Ninja 2 with the focus/exposure aids and prores 442 recording.

For my need, I would never go Canon any-more. I cannont bear the moire/aliasing and the low rez muddy look. For the rest it is more like best image quality in the D5300 and best convenience into the the Panasonic line. One good advice is the lens choice as it will last much longer than the camera body and Nikon is a good one because it will fit almost anything.

One advantage that people rarely talk about the Nikon D5300 is the uncompressed hdmi output. For $ 200/300 you can add a nice monitor that will be much better for exposure/focusing than the tiny inbuilt screen in other dslr. For $ 700 you can have a Ninja 2 with the focus/exposure aids and prores 442 recording.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Will likely take that route at some point unless something else comes out that's better. Haven't seen any tests comparing the output from the camera to the clean HDMI to verify it's much better though. Could be it is, but I just haven't seen proof yet. 

From the reviews I've seen, the 70D has the D5300 beat for handling and I've always liked the way Canon's generally handle skin tone. But for me, the Nikon look is preferred.

The option thrown out to go the D5300 AND G6 route with Metabones, would be a great combo for the times you want ease of use or low light performance with great stills. That's the combo Matt is rockin' I believe.

Thanks guys I originally dismissed the GH3 due to the 16mp sensor but watching more videos and reviews it's the GH3 I should be deciding compared to the D5300 not the 70D.   

Looking at the GH3 now it has a better bitrate and better codec compared to the d5300 & if I'm honest with myself while having the clean 12bit (or is it 10?) HDMI out on the D5300 is nice I doubt I'll get around to buying an HDMI recorder before the next leap in technology makes these cameras look like VHS in comparison & then I'll spend the money on a new camera body. 

Ok now lets assume I go with the GH3 now, can I still use the Sigma 18-35mm lens, if not what should I get I like the sigma because its like multiple lenses in one.  As far as audio goes what's a good mic around $200. THanks

Ok now lets assume I go with the GH3 now, can I still use the Sigma 18-35mm lens, if not what should I get I like the sigma because its like multiple lenses in one.  As far as audio goes what's a good mic around $200. THanks

Yes, you can buy the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 with a MFT mount. Keep in mind though that the GH3 has a different crop factor than the APS-C sensors that this lens is designed for. With the GH3 (or any MFT camera) you'll have to multiply the focal length x2, so that'll turn the Sigma into a 36-70mm lens in terms of full frame... whereas on the D5300 (or any APS-C camera) you'll have to multiply the focal length x 1.6, so the Sigma turns into a 29-56mm lens in terms of full frame. This is a much more usable range because it covers everything from moderately wide (29mm full frame) to mild tele (56mm tele). 

Therefore it might make sense to get a GH3 + a Nikon-mount Sigma 18-35mm + the Metabones Speed Booster. This will add another $400 but you'll get much more usable (focal length) and spectacular (improved aperture) results with this! This is only valid for shooting video though; if you're planning on taking stills as well, you might want to get a lens with proper AF on your GH3. 

You should also look into the Panasonic G6. In terms of video it's virtually identical to the GH3 (check out the review on this site) but it's quite a bit cheaper, in fact you can get the G6 + Speed Booster for the same price as the GH3. 

Do you plan on only shooting video or do you intend to take pictures as well? 

The Sigma 18-35 is not available in MFT mount. You can buy an adapter, though you'll need one with aperture control. The speed booster has a lovely, clickless aperture control, and as noted above because it widens the FOV it compliments the 18-35 on a GH3/G6 crop perfectly. BTW, the speed booster does not improve the aperture - it improves the f-stop, which is a bit different. 

FYI, 6 months ago I had to choose between a G6 with speed booster and a GH3 without - I went for the G6. The GH3 is an awesome camera and has dropped in price recently, but very soon I think its video quality will start to seem a little dated. I chose to spend less on the camera and more on the glass. And the G6 has a great image (though with important differences to the GH3's). I'm glad to see you've dropped the 70D anyway!

Samuel Hurtado, who created the Flaat profiles, thinks the D5300 is "best in class" from his preliminary tests. See this thread.

I shot this video on the 5300:

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I've read flaat 13 is a little noisy in the shadows, but 12 should be useable. Watched a few other videos of d5300 and d5200... seem really good dynamic range wise. Man, the only thing that gets me is that the resolution just doesn't seem as good as the gh3. Those images have more pop clarity to them. But perhaps part of it is post processing, wonder how good the d5300 can look. Wish there were more videos.

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I've read flaat 13 is a little noisy in the shadows, but 12 should be useable. Watched a few other videos of d5300 and d5200... seem really good dynamic range wise. Man, the only thing that gets me is that the resolution just doesn't seem as good as the gh3. Those images have more pop clarity to them. But perhaps part of it is post processing, wonder how good the d5300 can look. Wish there were more videos.

Yeah Panasonic are the leaders in detail, but the 5300 isn't bad. Certainly a mile ahead of Canon. I'm still finding out what the optimum sharpening is in post for the Nikon. Lens choice obviously matters as well.

In the end I guess it's about what matters most to you personally.

Sometimes I will go for my G6 if I need a really sharp image. At the moment I'm enjoying the colours + DR of the 5300.

I don't know about all these claims. But the D7100 that I have has nearly same detail as the panasonic gh2 which itself has higher resolution than gh3. The uncompress does get yu even better resolution. What is annoying now is that most site are just not interested to review most of the dslr like the D5300. Everything is about RAW etc because it captures the headline. I would like to see test from most of the dslr because most will not even be able to use the raw cameras.

In capable hand the Canons with their low resolution, moire/aliasing and ok DR, did some very good to amazing jobs. The D5300 has a much better image quality than those Canons but unfortunately we are in a world of spec sheet. I would love a Black magic camera but the moire aliasing and the raw work flow is not for me for now and would love some proper test. Just to be sure that I am not day dreaming about the image quality.

D5300 dynamic range beats sony cine alta F35- camera that shot tron legacy a movie that cost 170 million dollars to make. If its codecs you like don't get gh3 - buy hyperdeck shuttle 2 on amazon for $275.00 plug it in d5300 and get 8 bit 4:2:2 all intra frame and a bitrate that will blow the gh3 out of the sky. With the hyperdeck shuttle 2 the dynamic range on the d5300 will have surpassed Red One Mx. Don't bother with G6 or GM1 their codec is sad. Don't any one spend money on panasonic untill gh4 comes out this year. Regarding the 70d canon should be ashamed of them selves putting up a model like that to compete against nikon and panasonic-i tried it out at a store i couldn't believe how awful that thing was, that camera's resolution is atrocious.  D5300 image is amazing , rich image,indie filmmakers throw away 7d use d5300 image at sundance.  GH3 resolution is good not great xf300 soundly defeats it, any of the consumer flagship camcorder models from sony, canon, panasonic equals or beats.  D5300 detail is good enough considering it obliterates gh3 in everything else.  I have 7 grand saved up i only need $3,150 than i can buy f35 package on ebay.

I'd like to see some video of the d5300 beating up the gh3. I haven't seen footage that outshines what I've seen people do with the gh3 yet. Maybe it can, but i'd like to see some evidence of it. It looks less detailed. Hopefully I can find some footage of hdmi out video with the d5300. Haven't seen it yet.