Adobe Lightroom-like video colorgrading

BrorSvensson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi! I really enjoy grading my photos in Lightroom and think that the tools are really straight forward, easy and fast to work with. Anyone know of a video color grading program similar to it?

There were a lot of people that asked the same. So now Premiere CC 2015 has the lumetri color panel that provides very similar experience to grading in Lightroom. 

Lightroom can edit videos, but it's not a very pleasant workflow.

Otherwise you can make your settings in Lightroom on some frames from your videos and export as a LUT with Look Converter by Picture Instruments.
Then you import your footage and your LUT in Premiere Pro or After Effects (...).

This method is really simple and powerful, but some Lightroom options can't be exported as LUT.
For example : noise reduction, vignetting, ...

Hope it helps ^_^

Lightroom can edit videos, but it's not a very pleasant workflow.

Otherwise you can make your settings in Lightroom on some frames from your videos and export as a LUT with Look Converter by Picture Instruments.
Then you import your footage and your LUT in Premiere Pro or After Effects (...).

This method is really simple and powerful, but some Lightroom options can't be exported as LUT.
For example : noise reduction, vignetting, ...

Hope it helps ^_^

You cant export 60fps out of lightroom, thanks for the info

What he meant is that you can create the LUT in Lightroom (or photoshop too) that gives you the look that you want, and then use that LUT in Premiere instead of the built in color grading.  

right! for me making a lut in lightroom or photoshop is a quick and easy way to make lumetri in premiere a lot more useful – i do both~! im p much just making luts to do gamut correction on my f------ bizarre slog2 footage, using that as an input lut in lumetri and having fun from there~!

the real time playback in premiere w lumetri is why im trying to use it in the first place.... and bc of the the lightroom/acr simplicity that i am so familiar with :relaxed:

regarding the op: BrorSvensson, premiere seems to be quite literally and figuratively the answer to your question as these guys have said; adobe has self consciously been adding more 'simple' color features in premiere, pushing its ultimate functionality more in the direction of speedgrade but with a bit of that lightroom easiness. im looking forward to a lumetri interface in the future that is even more like lightroom, w more power to adjust color like hue vs hue controls/etc.

the weirdest thing to me about lumetri atm is the curves....... anybody else kno what im talking about here...??? the controls are... awkward. its sticky in a bad way and it just seems way too hard to drag the black and white points around.... i mean how many programs use curves lol? why cant that feel more like photoshop

anyway, i fully support the continued evolution of a lumetri that is more like lightroom than speedgrade, a more acr-friendly slider interface, but considering PP 2015 is the first time lumetri has appeared i think its p cool ;)

Also, if you want to grade a video exactly like Lightroom (for the most part, with the ACR control panel):

Use a recent version of Photoshop.  Open a video file.  Right click on said video, and select "Convert to smart object".

Then you will see the Raw filter available from the filter menu.

:)

Quick 4 step process (obviously once graded you hit "File / Export video".  The rendering process isn't too quick, but I've had good results.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

I like the look of these two Netflix shows.

Are their free LUTs that would mimic or should I perform the process above (assuming this is the quickest way). 

Regardless, I really appreciate the post above from Sheild... it got me thinking.  I also agree, Lightroom is really incredible. 

NarcoPix.jpg

bloodlinesPix.jpg

after rereading this thread i had to laugh its a bit ironic that all the software we're talking about is made by ~the same company~

the people on this website are really smart i wish we could organize a PP 2015/Adobe feedback master thread that adobe would actually read because it would be great advice for them. its coming from smart users who often have a lot of design education

and i say this as a creative cloud subscriber~! i pay $60 a month and i want my apps to overlap more

after rereading this thread i had to laugh its a bit ironic that all the software we're talking about is made by ~the same company~

the people on this website are really smart i wish we could organize a PP 2015/Adobe feedback master thread that adobe would actually read because it would be great advice for them. its coming from smart users who often have a lot of design education

and i say this as a creative cloud subscriber~! i pay $60 a month and i want my apps to overlap more

Definitely room for adobe here to improve the way people want to use it.  I like many, know how to do my best work with Adobe Camera RAW, can only do minor adjustments with RGB curves and Levels.  Would love ACR filter optimized to work in Premiere Pro.

Also, if you want to grade a video exactly like Lightroom (for the most part, with the ACR control panel):

Use a recent version of Photoshop.  Open a video file.  Right click on said video, and select "Convert to smart object".

Then you will see the Raw filter available from the filter menu.

:)

Quick 4 step process (obviously once graded you hit "File / Export video".  The rendering process isn't too quick, but I've had good results.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Gonna give that a shot

• 2 months later...

Hello, @benymypony.
Can you tell how useful are these LUTs created with Look Converter by Picture Instruments?
I mean.. if i've created a LUT using a VSCO preset for Lightroom what would be the best workflow to apply it?
First i should make all my footage look flat (like log or raw) than apply it?
I just don't understand how this LUT could useful to any camera if different brands have different colors.
Hope someone can explain it to me.
Thanks!

Hello, @benymypony.
Can you tell how useful are these LUTs created with Look Converter by Picture Instruments?
I mean.. if i've created a LUT using a VSCO preset for Lightroom what would be the best workflow to apply it?
First i should make all my footage look flat (like log or raw) than apply it?
I just don't understand how this LUT could useful to any camera if different brands have different colors.
Hope someone can explain it to me.
Thanks!

Hi, LUTs created with Look Converter are good. Files are light (around 60Ko, when the original 3D 64 LUT is 7Mb) because LUT generated is a 3D 17 LUT.
The higher is the LUT (8, 17, 32, 64, ...), the more there is color accuracy.

Look Converter will generate a neutral filter (like the attached file).
You'll have to load this neutral filter image into Lightroom (or even Instagram) and apply your presets.
Then, Look Converter will generate a LUT from the difference between the neutral filter color values and the modified one.

Let me know if it's not clear ^_^

filter.jpg