Why A7Rii is a nogo for landscape

wolf33d

I was completely sold on the A7rii as I need a still/video FF camera. For landscape and video.

well as you can see the DR falls Appart in long exposure and some horrible noise come due to heat. Non usable...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-a7rii-issues-post-autofocus-problems-and-again-pre-cooked-raw/

sounds like I will get a rx100iv for 4k and slow mo, and D750 for photography and swallow DoF video..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Keep in mind this is one single persons experience on the internet. And for the record, its published on a website that has a pretty proven track record of posting large amounts of BS at least once a week. 

Give the camera a rental. Get it in your hands and see how it actually performs. 

Zach, I am not gonna spend my time posting links but I have seen this issues reported from at least 5 people from different forums. 

Do a search ..

I was the first to applaud when Sony announced it. 

It just seems we can't have a perfect photo video FF camera.

I do a lot of landscapes and long exposure is a must for me. 

Right now now only solution is D750/810 and RX100 which also gives high frame rates. 

Just wish I had one camera to do it all...

Might hold until 5DIV maybe.

I'm concerned by this too.  Wolf is right--there are tons of examples out there, and it's ugly. Perhaps it will end up being an issue primarily with the RAW converters, but for now, it's a big red flag.

Other than that, I can live with the compromises--lossy RAW sucks but isn't a dealbreaker for me, and I tend to shoot shorter video clips, so no huge worries WRT camera overheating either.

But the long exposure noise, even with moderate push, is just gross.

• Administrators

You know what guys, either I am going mad or I am starting to see why Canon held off on significant improvements to video like 4K on their consumer DSLRs so far. If landscape photography with a long exposure suffered due to heat, Canon would lose half their customers.

Plus, I trust DigiLloyd's opinions on such things. The continued compression and pre-processing of sony's RAW files continues to disappoint me, which is why, despite my lust for a larger stills sensor, I'll never use a Sony APS-C or FF as my primary stills camera. 

I wonder about the RX10 II, though. Wasn't blown away by the raw stills from the A7s, but for its sensor size and lens limitations the RX10 II raws hold up very well to grading. Maybe they are in some way different than the A7rII's? Can't see compression going on in there.

I wonder about the RX10 II, though. Wasn't blown away by the raw stills from the A7s, but for its sensor size and lens limitations the RX10 II raws hold up very well to grading. Maybe they are in some way different than the A7rII's? Can't see compression going on in there.

I definitely see it on the Mark I when I try and sharpen aggressively, the way I do on other cameras. You can also see a little posterization here and there at the edges of the tonal scale--particularly in the highlights. There was someone else on the forum a while back who got horrible purple color casts when he tried to pull up the shadows on his A6000, where the GX7 worked great. It may not be noticeable on the RX10 because you hit the limits of the sensor before the limits of the RAW file become a problem, but they're infinitely more apparent on the FF A7 cameras (at least, based on the files I've played with).

Long exposure noise reduction, use it and there's no issue.

Raws opened in Capture One don't show this issue, the results are much worse with Adobe and Rawdigger. You can also do a manual remapping of the hot pixels by setting the internal clock forward a couple months and restarting the camera. 

It it does seem to support the theory that there's a new raw formula. Though IMO the results with Capture One and Sony have always looked better than Adobe.

I returned mine. Too many flaws for reliable professional use. Of course this is just my opinion and some folks will go out to do wonderful things with this camera. 

I've come to believe that Canon is being a lot more serious about their hardware. They don't care about hype, they care about producing professional tools, while

Sony seems to have in interest in dominating the consumer market with "rushed-to-market" bombs that blow away the competition on paper only.

I'm waiting for the 5d IV or a used 1Dc for 3500 Euros :)

Compression be damned - I've taken incredible landscape photos on both the original A7r and the A6000. I've got a 20X30 (which happens to be a long exposure) hanging in my office that I took on the original A7r, and its sharp as a tack. I raised the shadows roughly 2 stops in post as well.

I've seen plenty of long exposures with a body cap on, but not a single legitimately good photograph that shows a real issue. 

Here are some long exposures by Philip Bloom and they look fantastic given the ISO - https://www.flickr.com/photos/philipbloom/sets/72157654505454403

I would live with compression issue as I have seen nice work with A7R. Even though colors and contrast are bad (see my article here:           Fun story A7R / 5D III    )

But this long exposure DR and noise problem... 

I had a D5500 during my trip in the rockies where I filmed this video featured in the huffington: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/10/canadian-rockies-video_n_7967942.html

Also, I did these pictures with it: 

https://500px.com/photo/116472669/false-creek-by-loup-fsr
https://500px.com/photo/116251089/star-over-assiniboine-by-loup-fsr
https://500px.com/photo/116327471/reflection-pool-by-loup-fsr

The D5500 grades easy and well compared to GoPro and Phantom 3, I was amazed actually. 
So I am thinking more and more getting Nikon for video & photo, and RX100 for 4K/slowmo/portability. Looks like a great combo. 

Only thing is that I don't know why I have always preferred Canon to Nikon. Let's see the 5DIV I am 98% sure it will be 4K. 
Cheers. 

Lens cap tests. quadruple facepalm.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8634/15706935630_58fe998d2c_o.jpg

This image had about 50 dead pixels in it.  from the a7rmk1.  I could have left them in - the resolution is so high that the dead pixels are almost invisible and people are looking at the image rather than searching for the dead pixels, but i felt the 2mins effort processing and removing them was worth it.  I'm pretty sure Sony would have just stuck the same sensor into the mk2 if there wasnt an advantage from the new sensor they've spent millions developing.  

I suggest people look on flickr for samples of landscapes from the a7rm2 before taking unskilled people's opinions seriously.  Plenty of talented photographers showing what this camera does with lenses on, rather than with lens caps on!