cinepi 2 super 8 4k raw is disrupting

zlfan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is there a new camera module?  The current camera module used by cinepi is imx477.  It doesn't matter how fancy the raspberry pi is that you connect it to, it's still only a 12 megapixel sensor.  If Sony have a 45 megapixel 1" sensor that can read out at 12 bits, it could be cool to see that in a Raspberry Pi camera.

Until then, you'd be a lot better off buying a used BMPCC4K - it costs a bit more, but it's a lot more usable as a camera... and I say that as a person who doesn't like any "pocket" cinema camera except for the very first one from like 10 years ago.
(Or for just. little bit more, a Sigma FP)

On 12/1/2023 at 6:23 PM, eatstoomuchjam said:

Is there a new camera module?

I can't seem to see any news about a new camera module?? Not sure what OP is referring to. 

There is no CinePi 3. 

On 12/1/2023 at 6:23 PM, eatstoomuchjam said:

Until then, you'd be a lot better off buying a used BMPCC4K

Even if a 1" CinePi 3 comes out, I reckon a person would be still better of with a secondhand P4K if they value their own time at anything above minimum wage.  

As the out of pocket differences between a possible future CinePi 3 and a secondhand P4K (the fact it is "secondhand" is irrelevant, it would still be more reliable than a brand new "CinePi 3"!) would only be a few hundred dollars, which would be completely swallowed up when you consider the many hours you'd have to put into getting the CinePi3 up and running from scratch 

right now there is only cine pi 2, but the release of pi 5 will almost certainly help out a cine pi3. certainly cine pi cams are not as mature as the p4k etc, but the open structures make them very easy to customize. and a new generation of cam makers may come out of it, making cheap raw cams, even cheaper than bm ones. 

On 12/3/2023 at 5:52 PM, IronFilm said:

As the out of pocket differences between a possible future CinePi 3 and a secondhand P4K (the fact it is "secondhand" is irrelevant, it would still be more reliable than a brand new "CinePi 3"!) would only be a few hundred dollars, which would be completely swallowed up when you consider the many hours you'd have to put into getting the CinePi3 up and running from scratch 

Secondhand was not mentioned in terms of reliability, but in terms of bringing the cost closer to the CinePi (especially if the Resolve license comes with it).  A really solid percentage of my gear was purchased second-hand (which is one of the reasons there's a lot of it).

20 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I think he's referring to the s16 sensor 4K camera being developed by Octopus Camera and CinePi. There isn't much info they've put out besides some test footage, specs, and a rendering of the camera body.

Once there's something shipping, that sounds very nice.  Until it's shipping, I will imagine setting it next to the 8K Micro 4/3 camera from Sharp, the full-frame "film cartridge + sensor" for vintage cameras, and any number of other cameras that never actually shipped.  I was gonna include the Bosma 8K in the list, but it's listed as in stock and shipping from B&H (?!) (really?)...
But even once it does ship, I'm not sure that a niche camera with tiny sensor is really revolutionizing anything.  If it's cheap and has a proper C mount, I'd get one because I have a bunch of S16 glass which would be fun to play with again (and C mount adapters for Micro 4/3 need to recess into the body which makes it impossible to fit on like half the lenses).

If there were a better way to focus 'em, I'd just go with one of the nicer Back-Bone kits at that point.  I'm still curious about the one for the RX0 since it probably has a decent HDMI out with low latency...