Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

Finally I could spend some (very limited) time outside and also some time to hack it together: 

Not the best that I could do but gives some additional impression over the capabilities of the XC10 in bright daylight. 

Here's a photo of my XC10 ENG configuration that has been tested and hopefully soon will see some real action for a report:

XC10_ENG_01.jpg

Cheers!

Ok...now I'm definitely going to add this to my camera bag after seeing more footage.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wonder whether Canon's lack of accuracy in reds and greens (in C-LOG and WDR) ever bother the average Canon user, whether they don't notice, or whether they've just learned to embrace it.

Art Adams specifically states that "the one color that Canon nails is flesh tones". How can they be "inaccurate" if Canon specifically nails them well?

Canon has really designed their color science for flesh tones.

Art Adams specifically states that "the one color that Canon nails is flesh tones". How can they be "inaccurate" if Canon specifically nails them well?

Because if you read the whole article, Art explains that Canon pushes reds toward orange (to hide blemishes and make skin look more appealing) and green toward blue (to contrast better with all the orange), as well as pumping up the saturation in skin colors compared to everything else. This results in great flesh tones, but can cause problems with other colors. For example, he had a lot of trouble on a shoot with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background because the camera couldn't render that color of red accurately. On that same shoot, he laments that the only matrix that could get the color of the bridge right turned the grass distractingly blue. He had to dedicate a whole article to using the matrix color shift controls to get an accurate color profile, and it still wasn't as close as Alexa. 

It's an issue of pleasing vs accurate. Clearly, Canon's choice works for them--people love those skin tones--but it's not for everyone.

Back on topic, that DR looks great Mattias! How do the low shadows hold up? Is there banding, noise, or muddiness?

• Super Members

Mattias have you tested Wide DR? I've noticed that it reduces shadow noise rather than using C LOG (at least on the C100). If you're doing a low contrast grade though C Log is still the best bet.

Problem with Wide DR is that it greatly reduces the highlights and lowers the DR compare to C-Log on the XC10 which is tough for me that's gotten use to ETTR if I don't have waveform like on for example the Alphatron when shooting D16.

I don't mind a little noise and can always crush the shadows in post, but I will definitely experiment more, this is just based on a couple of quick test shots. 

• Super Members

Can report that the fellow on eBay selling the 64gb Lexar Cfast 2.0 for less than a 32gb costs in Sweden is legit.

It's obviously some sort of Grey import since it shows up with a sticker in moon language and no warranty. 
It was professionally packaged in anti static bags but not in an official Lexar box.

No customs or import tax within the EU.
Tried it at 305mbps for a couple of minutes without hiccups.

IMG_20150819_155757.md.jpg

Problem with Wide DR is that it greatly reduces the highlights and lowers the DR 

As in...they clip sooner? Any idea how much? 

Mattias have you tested Wide DR? I've noticed that it reduces shadow noise rather than using C LOG (at least on the C100). If you're doing a low contrast grade though C Log is still the best bet.

I've read the same, but it's possible the less compressed codec of the XC10 (weird, innit?) holds up better to being stretched into a LOG format.

• Super Members

As in...they clip sooner? Any idea how much? 

I've read the same, but it's possible the less compressed codec of the XC10 (weird, innit?) holds up better to being stretched into a LOG format.

I noticed it during my Looks test a couple of posts ago. I remember it as several cranks on the aperture. Will retest.

• Super Members

Two areas where I didn't expect this camera to be as useful was stills and for my weird hobby of making unboxings/demos of stuff I buy.

For stills it's obviously no dslr but for BTS, instagram, family and forWebb reporting I find myself using it constantly. 

IMG_20150822_160712.md.jpg

About unboxings and such. It's just a fast workflow with one lens and NDs. The light weight also makes things easier. 

In the first couple of clips I accidentally had the iso at 3200.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Be advised that these ship from china and I have to pay import taxes / and have some paperwork with these. Maybe the Swedish Duty office is more chilled than the german. 

I knew it did and no they are not chilled.

But that seller ships to NL first so there is no import charges, thats why I bought it.