iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

24 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Love it Andrew and agree ! That said, I’m not convinced an Apple Camera would canabili its phone. People who want interchangeable lenses will get both. And those who want the lowlight performance won’t use an iPhone as their a cam. But I think Apple could shakeup the mirrorless industry overnight with a dedicated body. 

Of course, there is a third option beyond smartphone and normal camera.

That option would be to leverage its existing tech but compromise on the thickness of the device, and include multiple cameras with various different focal lengths, light the Light L16 did.  (The L16 tried to stitch the camera images together, which didn't work well, and isn't what I'd recommend.  But it did show that you can get 16 smartphone sized camera modules into something very compact, with potentially spectacular dust and water-proofing.)

jbareham_180327_2421_0026.jpg

As we saw from the Venice video I posted yesterday, the main camera is broadly a good option but the other cameras tend to suffer significantly from lack of light.

If they had extra thickness they could use the same size of sensor for all the cameras, and combine it with faster lenses.  There are F1.4 smartphones out there, but we all know that lenses can be built much faster than that.  Imagine a device that's sized like a large smartphone but with the thickness of a modern camera body without the lens, and has an array of cameras including 16mm FOV, 24mm FOV, 50mm FOV, 100mm FOV, and 250mm FOV, all capable of 8K60, and all at F0.8.  Shooting all resolutions and flavours of Prores in Apple Log of course.

If Apple made a dedicated camera, it would have to be completely superior to their flagship phones, and would also have to appeal to the masses who want improved imaging and are willing to pay for it, BUT would have to fit the Apple philosophy of being elegant and simple to use.  I don't think an FX3-ish or Alexa-ish device with Apple written on the front would do that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/30/2023 at 1:34 AM, SRV1981 said:

I Enjoyed this!  Not a fan of the color palette regardless of camera a bit heavy and dark for my taste but that said it was enough for me to be interested in the narrative 

Colors looked like a overly graded GH1, muddy bloody hell. I had to stop the video after the 1st half. Why? Please don't ask. Too many things.😅 But thanks for posting, so we can reflect on it.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Colors looked like a overly graded GH1, muddy bloody hell. I had to stop the video after the 1st half. Why? Please don't ask. Too many things.😅 But thanks for posting, so we can reflect on it.

I lived in Bavaria for a short period so I could compare München with the architecture and cultural influence of Italy where I've also been living for much longer, so I think the comment on grading by @kye is pretty on the spot BTW.  I follow your yellowish tirade anyway, Marty... ; ) Speaking of devil, here's another one:

But Emanuel, I was just honest. Any GH2 filmer from back then put more skill AND talent into their films. I could give a plus for running so quickly behind and infront of cam, but that's about it. Kye must be laughing like a gone mad colorist seeing how they broke the colour into Nintendo Green Lantern realms, if there ever was a bad game of the overly bad Christoph Waltz flick, based on a 60ies Bruce Lee TV show, where the upcoming superstar was the sidekick and main attraction, paling the main protagonist. Just to throw around a bit with love for popcultural references. Green lantern was a solid comic at first, was'nt it. The Munich video is not solid, nor done in the conciousness of pop, but a dull case of copycat showoff mediocracy.

Here's an idea for Apple to take over the lower-end of the cinema market: Now that the iPhone 15 Pro/Max have USB-C ports, how about creating an Apple standard to connect external lenses and sensors to the iPhone?

This might seem dumb to do, but here's where it gets interesting: The makers of these third-party accessories now wouldn't have to deal with user interface issues (the iPhone and third-party camera apps would take care of that), or storage issues (the iPhone would handle that), or video/audio encoding issues (the iPhone would also handle that). Essentially, the iPhone would become an add-on to these third-party accessories where the iPhone does all the heavy software lifting, and the hardware would only be in charge or sending the image (lens) and storing it (sensor). The sensor would send data to the iPhone as a standardize RAW stream which Apple would then convert on the fly to whatever format is needed.

This would reduce the cost of such a device (minus the lens) to only a few hundred dollars (under US$500 or even US$300 is entirely posible) and all you'd need to supply is the lens (say, Micro Four Thirds, Canon, L, etc).

Heck, Apple itself could provide such an adapter and then it's up to you to simply provide the lens. Let's call it the "iPhone Professional Camera Kit", which would also come with HDMI output, XLR inputs, Timecode, etc. And you could use am iPad mini (or any iPad) if you want a larger monitor.

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, Elias said:

Connect external lenses and sensors to the iPhone?

Sony did this ten years ago with their QX range such as the QX100 which was an RX100 sensor and lens.

bothsonys-rocks.jpeg.e8f81c3032b8fcea936ed2fa9d1da965.jpeg

A year later, they even released the even lesser spotted APS-C E mount version.

319251412_ScreenShot2023-11-03at21_16_05.png.d5d24173c493f3b3ab607b6519cae5b4.png

Unfortunately, they all absolutely tanked.

I've said a few times that they were ahead of their time and maybe if they were released now they would fare differently.

Whether it would be Sony themselves who do it is debatable and if they did it would likely be an exclusive with their own phones but maybe BM could be a candidate.

The quality of posts in this thread is not necessarily equivalent to the quatity. Dropping youtube videos without any lovely written expression of soul, heart or mind is kinda wordless and to me worthless for a forum. But maybe that is just because of the shiny new product. Older tech ist dicussed with much more love and passion.

4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

The quality of posts in this thread is not necessarily equivalent to the quatity. Dropping youtube videos without any lovely written expression of soul, heart or mind is kinda wordless and to me worthless for a forum. But maybe that is just because of the shiny new product. Older tech ist dicussed with much more love and passion.

9 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Hey @SRV1981, im interested in your posts about 15pro,  but won’t check every video. So if you can just point what interested in each video it’s nice for us to decide wether to watch it.. thanks! 

That’s for you to decide not me 😉 forums and threads are opt-in not opt-out 😘 

17 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

That’s for you to decide not me 😉 forums and threads are opt-in not opt-out 😘 

It would be useful if you wrote why you were sharing each video.  I'm assuming you're watching more videos than you decide to share.

That way, if you post a video that talks about things I know about I can skip it, but if you post one that mentions something new that I don't know about then I can watch.

TBH I'm just looking at you post video after video and thinking "I can just search in YT and see random videos too".