iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

A 10bit Lx100 or Lx15 with Pdaf and clutch mechanism for manual focus with hard stops and focus magnification during recording, full hdmi and a 10bit GH5 II image and video modes. All for a price tag between 699 / 799 Usd/EUR or even 801:). That would be a game changer for me. I would be happy with Pannyboys exellent Long GOP codecs. But that camera is not around the corner, it seems.

Marty, a mirrorless camera is not a cell phone but not vice versa as we all know. Here's why this can be a game changer -- on second 135

Without mention, the BMD App... Apparently, this new tool, worthy of a new capture device by itself, is also able to bypass device's overprocessing because is using Apple Log?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That said, a smartphone doesn't replace a mirrorless, of course, but the fact some optical and computational photography basics can provide the trick when the best camera is the one you can use and not other, at this level of outcome, transcends anything we've seen so far. Really.

It doesn't mean that external SSD and reliability such as overheating issues under control, etc., are beyond any further scrutiny, obviously. But I actually don't know how to call it differently if any.

- EAG

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Without mention, the BMD App... Apparently, this new tool, worthy of a new capture device by itself, is also able to bypass device's overprocessing because is using Apple Log?

That was my impression from what he said.  I'd imagine that Filmic Pro will provide an update that will use the full capability of the new Prores Log mode, but I don't think it will provide any advantages over the BM app.

TBH, if I owned Filmic Pro, I'd be sitting in a closed room with the smartest people in the company scribbling on a whiteboard furiously trying to work out how to stay relevant.  My prediction: we'll see a torrent of YouTube videos sponsored by Filmic Pro as a last-ditch effort to keep revenue up (a huge advertising campaign is a standard sign a company is in trouble).

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

That said, a smartphone doesn't replace a mirrorless, of course, but the fact some optical and computational photography basics can provide the trick when the best camera is the one you can use and not other, at this level of outcome, transcends anything we've seen so far. Really.

It doesn't mean that external SSD and reliability such as overheating issues under control, etc., are beyond any further scrutiny, obviously. But I actually don't know how to call it differently if any.

I think you make a good point.

The way I think about it is this.  Your smartphone contains one (or more) small-sensor (just under 1"), fixed-lens (probably a prime-lens), digital cameras, which records internally/externally to h264/h265/Prores/RAW files.  If you want to shoot deep-DoF videos with the available FOV in good light and the codec is sufficient for you then it's a solid choice.  If you want to shoot with a different lens, larger sensor, in very low-light conditions, or you need better image quality than it can provide, then it's not a good choice.

This is the same for any camera.  Name a camera and there are things it's not good for.  The ARRI Alexa 65 is a terrible choice for skydiving, a smartphone is terrible for shallow DoF projects, the RED V-Raptor XL is not suited to home or cat videos, an IMAX 70mm camera would be miserable for on-location night-time safari shoots, etc.

2 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

well done video 

Indeed ! I was wondering if ProRes 4444 can be used with the new iPhone 15 Pro and this video gives the response. Good and realistic comparison with bigger sensor cameras, not just oh look it is as good as my Sony FS30. Lots of useful information. iPhone 15 Pro is great for video.

I'm surprised no-one has posted this yet....   Gerald tested the DR:

The TL;DR is that below about ISO 1000 it measures 12.2 stops, but then around ISO 1000 it starts rising and at ISO1480 managed to get 13.8 / 13.3 stops..

image.png.6251cab60cac661284f155c352edf6e0.png

Gerald said that he suspects the native ISO is around 1250 or so, and the DR going down below that is typical of sensors set below their native ISO.

All in all, this is a seriously impressive result.  It makes me wonder if you set it to full-auto and use it in daylight if you'll be limiting the DR by forcing it to a lower ISO?  That's not quite so ideal..

9 hours ago, kye said:

I'm surprised no-one has posted this yet....   Gerald tested the DR:

The TL;DR is that below about ISO 1000 it measures 12.2 stops, but then around ISO 1000 it starts rising and at ISO1480 managed to get 13.8 / 13.3 stops..

image.png.6251cab60cac661284f155c352edf6e0.png

Gerald said that he suspects the native ISO is around 1250 or so, and the DR going down below that is typical of sensors set below their native ISO.

All in all, this is a seriously impressive result.  It makes me wonder if you set it to full-auto and use it in daylight if you'll be limiting the DR by forcing it to a lower ISO?  That's not quite so ideal..

Grab a moment adapter and a VND and just filter and use Blackmagic app to adjust to 1250 iso!

On 10/4/2023 at 1:47 AM, SRV1981 said:

well done video 

Maybe is just me and don't get me wrong for a phone it is really good but it looks like an oil painting no details... and reading that for best DR you should shoot at iso 1250 and end up with the most aggressive NR possible dos not make a lot of sense neither. Just look at the skin in the above video it seems it went true a beautify filter ....

I don't see anything wrong a/'the' due balance won't solve, really : )

This is SIMPLY amazing for a cell phone capture device at this point of the course. Hard to resist, we're going in the right direction.

Overprocessing (not processing, actually ; ) have always killed my interest to use these toys and now that we cannot call it like that or we're just justifying why we're not in the mood to spend over a grand (!) for it, I believe there's not much to tell other than celebrate it, finally.

I've tended to see film as oil painting realm, so I am OK with. Once people or object in the frame (because there are those outside : P) are well shot, why to portrait the lines of the imperfections of the subject?

Brain must build up the leftover from the 'oil painting' we give to the viewer. We have the other cell phone cameras for the remainder as we need it. I don't.

EAG :- )

10 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Maybe is just me and don't get me wrong for a phone it is really good but it looks like an oil painting no details... and reading that for best DR you should shoot at iso 1250 and end up with the most aggressive NR possible dos not make a lot of sense neither. Just look at the skin in the above video it seems it went true a beautify filter ....

Well, it is a telephone, after all....

Considering how bad the 14 was compared to this, if they keep going the 17 will be like a MILC, the 18 a cinema camera, and the 20 an Alexa!

On 9/28/2023 at 3:41 PM, Andrew Reid said:

The ALEXA 35 is a bit more expensive.

You're absolutely right.

The cost-savings that result from Apple knowingly using child-slave labor to manufacture the iPhone are incredible.

Apple passes these amazing cost-savings straight onto the consumer, allowing Apple to undercut companies that use adults to manufacture cameras.

This is why Apple is one of the richest companies in the world.
Child slaves are pure profit for Apple, and the average consumer loves their child-slave-manufactured iPhone. Of course, the consumer is a surveillance-node; so also a kind of slave.

In a way, it's perfect karma.
Built by slaves; used by slaves.

9 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

I’m pretty happy with my setup. Bought a MagSafe magnet off of amazon for $12, glued it to the T5, and then found a short usb-c 20Gbps for $7. Super secure and inconspicuous.

IMG_2362.jpeg

Nice! Will eventually get the iPhone 15 but waiting for some solutions to come out and ready to make it the full time go to with the gr3x

https://youtu.be/t1Fq--eujF4?si=-9Sa2NUmk01EDO2G

@gt3rs - what do you think of the above video from @SRV1981 with the diffusion filter?

I thought the images looked pretty good with fine skin-tones (up until the DR of the camera failed and it went bizarrely saturated and then clipped).  The model has impeccable skin though, so it's hard to tell as there didn't seem to be fine chroma detail in her face.