iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

2 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Samesies. I may go for the gusto and adopt an iPhone 15 system and try it out and see how it goes instead of dropping $ for a mirrorless. Could be interesting 

If you had to buy a camera either way then it might be a good idea.

What cameras do you have now?  Why do you need a new one?

TBH if you're willing to develop a small amount of skill in colour grading, it means you can spend thousands less on a camera and get the same results.  Literally.  I can get better images from my GX85 than many can get with a C70 / R5 / S1H / etc.

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

OK

but...

@kyebeats the most part of professionals I've met... Fact.

:- )

That's very kind of you to say, but it just makes me worried for the so-called professionals you're referring to!

I am pretty deep down the post-production rabbit hole though.  I've started reading patents to learn colour grading techniques...

This one is next on my list: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/41/0a/e5/0a78ae57552549/EP1158779A2.pdf

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, kye said:

That's very kind of you to say, but it just makes me worried for the so-called professionals you're referring to!

I am pretty deep down the post-production rabbit hole though.  I've started reading patents to learn colour grading techniques...

This one is next on my list: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/41/0a/e5/0a78ae57552549/EP1158779A2.pdf

People focus in some other directions. So-called professionals because that's for a living : ) This doesn't mean someone outside is not able to show up with more knowledge about ; )

A bit like film critics or a few so-called movie industry experts, the best ones are far to be the most famous ones : )

The same for cell phone cameras, they're the best sellers but this says too little and definitely not prone to offer the best outcome ;- )

Like blockbusters when arthouse is handicraft and is needless to say much more complex to be made as art form, free from formulas in the bag.

46 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Wonder how many normal people still use their new purchase camera after 1 month when the novelty died off.

But phone on the other hand you use it every min lol.

FB_IMG_1695861026934.jpg

I found this as portability and size was the number one factor as to whether I wanted to video an event. Even the xt4 was feeling a little clunky when trying to be in the moment with family friends or myself on vacation.  People were more likely to behave differently then using my iPhone 13 Pro and for that I may have convinced myself to draft a phone only strategy for mini projects and EDC videos. Log just makes it worth a try. I’ve yet to find a system I like and whether it’s my lack of grading ability or time allowed for it or the size and responses I get from a mirrorless setup the phone may be the best of all options. 

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

I don’t think this is a common opinion lol

Don't you agree? : P Take a look on that thinning hair there:

And it's not the only sample out there...

Maybe the users had failed something there, no idea.

However, listen, I see where you're coming from : ) I share your enthusiasm on specs and the idea LOG has set us free from over-processing but so far, everything screams oversharpened shit to my eyes (my major guideline, not opinions of other people), I'm sorry. Really.

So, I still want to believe but I am not yet able to justify the purchase I'd like to, anyway.

I found this as portability and size was the number one factor as to whether I wanted to video an event. Even the xt4 was feeling a little clunky when trying to be in the moment with family friends or myself on vacation.  People were more likely to behave differently then using my iPhone 13 Pro and for that I may have convinced myself to draft a phone only strategy for mini projects and EDC videos. Log just makes it worth a try. I’ve yet to find a system I like and whether it’s my lack of grading ability or time allowed for it or the size and responses I get from a mirrorless setup the phone may be the best of all options. 

This is why I have swapped to the GX85 from the GH5 - the image quality from the GX85 isn't as good as the GH5 but the footage is better because the people in the frame are less aware of the camera.

Btw whomever said android raw was good is very correct. The DNG workflow is ass though. 

What is the workflow?  That video shows the guy grading in Lightroom and then later on in Resolve, which seems rather odd.  Can Resolve open the DNGs?

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

I don’t think this is a common opinion lol

People thought the earth was flat, and even now despite mountains of evidence some people still do.  Popularity is a pretty poor way to judge what is true.  

21 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Don't you agree? : P Take a look on that thinning hair there:

And it's not the only sample out there...

Maybe the users had failed something there, no idea.

However, listen, I see where you're coming from : ) I share your enthusiasm on specs and the idea LOG has set us free from over-processing but so far, everything screams oversharpened shit to my eyes (my major guideline, not opinions of other people), I'm sorry. Really.

So, I still want to believe but I am not yet able to justify the purchase I'd like to, anyway.

The answer might just be a simple blur.

Spoiler alert: I'm even wondering if over-sharpening in-camera might be a positive thing.  More on this as my thoughts develop!

1 hour ago, kye said:

(...)

The answer might just be a simple blur.

Spoiler alert: I'm even wondering if over-sharpening in-camera might be a positive thing.  More on this as my thoughts develop!

Funny I hear you to evolve to something I was trying to defend myself before to be sick of this nonsensical overprocessing they insist to never leave outside of their yearly pack in fact.

It's interesting to read your thoughts actually going in that direction (a bit or the same like to read Andrew to claim the beauty of 8K acquisition just not exactly for delivery, as for instance).

Encouraging the claims of the LOG as solution mantra but disappointing to see its real use when these first samples pop up now.

Let's wait and see, though.

Common uneducated opinion says too little, I concur on that, obviously : ) Reason why there are opinions and opinions. Who said so? Ah it was you? Then, that surely counts in a much different way. Get me now folks?

I'll probably be ending to buy one, who knows? But MotionCam going along the external SSD is attracting me much better than anything else to say it straightforward.

Speaking of the devil aka 'blur' BTW, that concept of computational photography is neat and starts to be more than strictly wishful thinking nowadays, no many doubts there :- )

Nonetheless, I put my money on upcoming third party tools to flood the market soon.

As already said, never had one yet (my OnePlus 9 Pro only allows a single lens @1080p without any customization), but still talking about 'blur'... I must confess, I guess, I won't resist to play WITH the bokeh, different lenses (?) @4K, that's for sure! : )

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/iphone/iph5e602f6d6/ios

No idea why they feel the need to mention up there how to export it externally, anyway...

Long story short, I don't find it as bad as people's bad-mouth are used to bash or add some prejudice over this new world after all... A bit like filmmaking in general, the things won't perfectly work in every situation. Many great actors require many takes to optimise their outcome to their audience. The same for film directing, many drafts for the screenplay, lots of dialogues going straight to the bin and on and on. It works the same way :- )

18 minutes ago, kye said:

Would it be better if I called it "unsharpen" ? 🙂

Right on the spot ; )

44 minutes ago, shooter said:

Ain't they possible to record them directly via USB-C?

I guess it should work in every recording mode but we never know if it is actually restricted to internal capture or not... No iPhone user over here yet ; ) Any iPhone 15 early adopters who can confirm it, please?

30 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Right on the spot ; )

I guess it should work in every recording mode but we never know if it is actually restricted to internal capture or not... No iPhone user over here yet ; ) Any iPhone 15 early adopters who can confirm it, please?

On the Apple Camera App only ProRes can be recorded on external SSD or CFexpress…. make no sense but is Apple. 

Not sure if a third party app eg BlackMagic can record non ProRes to external storage.

The technical merits of Apple's new iPhone are irrelevant when two major factors are taken into account:

1) The iPhone is a surveillance tool. Their ARM implementation is a black-box.

2) Apple knowingly uses child slave-labor, as reported by Business Insider.

This will likely be an unpopular perspective because, as consumers, we must live in a constant state-of-denial regarding the reason Apple is so profitable: Namely, that they are documented child-slave traders and exploiters.

Personally, when I stack up the performance of the new iPhone's optics against, for example, an Arri, I have to bear in mind that the Apple camera-system is demonstrably made by child-slaves in communist China, and the Arri is made by fully-grown adults in Germany.

I understand that others may have a different purchasing criteria, but for me the child-slavery thing is a deal-breaker.

I like my cameras made by adults. Call me old-fashioned.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, octoplex said:

Personally, when I stack up the performance of the new iPhone's optics against, for example, an Arri, I have to bear in mind that the Apple camera-system is demonstrably made by child-slaves in communist China, and the Arri is made by fully-grown adults in Germany.

The ALEXA 35 is a bit more expensive.

And I am sure it has Foxconn / Chinese components in there too.

As do RED.