Panasonic G9 mk2

kye

On 11/21/2023 at 7:58 PM, Beritar said:

But on the GH6 and G9II, the Intelligent Detail Filter just destroys fine details making some areas of the image soft and some areas very sharp.

It is that what i dislike to accept. I want an honest though still highly resolved image like from the GH5 II.

I second that, a GH5 III with the goodies of Mark II, which are 10 bit for 4K 60p and the cinematic resolution with smooth and creamy edges just like an Alexa. Hey, I say it again, textures just like an Alexa Pre 35. The 35 has many texture options, so I won't comment on stuff I have no experience with. I am not sure if even the S1H has that creamy but fully resolved 4K image of the GH5II. They never introduced a -1 setting for sharpness in VLog, did they? It has a -1 setting for noise reduction, so that's a cool thing. Btw GH5s has an Oplf filter iirc.

So GH5 III, a GH5 II with GH6 colorscience and Pdaf for 999. I second that! Also, a GX5:) with GH5 insides in a GX7 body. 😊

But both might cannibalize the G9II. Btw, no dynamic range and latitude tests yet on Cine D. They are boosting too many ads instead of their own editorial stuff. It's become more lately.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes  strongly that CineD publishes its report on the dynamics and its crash test...

"The GH6's special Dynamic Range Boost function is now even permanently activated and turns off automatically from 60 fps. So the G9II and GH6 should currently be able to offer the best dynamic range of any MFT camera on the market. "Slashcam

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Which lens f/1.8-ish + small-ish telephoto line-up looks best? Which would you rather shoot with?55209526_Screenshot2023-11-25at18_35_06.thumb.png.216a9cc620b0a6549fa0722ccd92fe68.png

1015099138_Screenshot2023-11-25at18_33_24.thumb.png.0ff65ac3230f77f50ae2f46296a6688f.png

2066590441_Screenshot2023-11-25at18_44_44.thumb.png.363e21637260aca2e8cd104a08dfb885.png

In doing this exercise, I realize that it would seem Panasonic M43 and the Sony lenses were seemingly designed rather independently whereas Panasonic L was really designed all at once.

Always amazed by the size and weight of the 25mm f1.4 (or 20mm f1.7) and 35-100mm f2.8. When I compare them to my 50mm and 70-200mm (f2.8) S Pro, I think I will not sell my M4/3 stuff anytime soon.

P1241075.thumb.jpg.bac44ba14c5d9bf2d944e102bd680f26.jpg

There are some alternatives to the 25mm PL for full frame, I tried the 45mm f2.8 Sigma for my S1/S5III (very similar for dof, bokeh etc) but I prefer to use the PL, better rolling shutter and stabilization on the G9II.
I really can't see an alternative to the 20mm f1.7 and the 35-100mm f2.8 though.

What about a 50mm 1.8 bargain lens on the S1? @Beritar  That should be much smaller. The Sigma 45mm 2.8 is pretty small but is a relevant amount narrower regarding fov than a 40mm. No real equivalent to the nice 20mm 1.7 in the FF world other than the Voigtlaender 40mm F2 in M-mount or a Konica with a long flange and adapter.

I love the fov coming from a 40mm lens on a FF camera. A native 40mm 2.8 pancake would be sweet, with Af and a clutch for hard stops when in manual focus. The G9 II in S5II body is dwarfed by the gigantic S1.😂 Oly 35RC has a 42.5mm F2.8 lens btw. I loved that lens and focal length and that camera.:)

• Super Members
31 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

No real equivalent to the nice 20mm 1.7 in the FF world other than the Voigtlaender 40mm F2 in M-mount or a Konica with a long flange and adapter.

I love the fov coming from a 40mm lens on a FF camera.

You can get the Sigma 40mm f1.4 ART in L mount but in terms of it being a pancake…

well it is if you like your pancakes in this sort of quantity.

IMG_4644.jpeg.ab42a9ea0c607111599cf00ac55876d5.jpeg

8 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Which lens f/1.8-ish + small-ish telephoto line-up looks best? Which would you rather shoot with?55209526_Screenshot2023-11-25at18_35_06.thumb.png.216a9cc620b0a6549fa0722ccd92fe68.png

1015099138_Screenshot2023-11-25at18_33_24.thumb.png.0ff65ac3230f77f50ae2f46296a6688f.png

2066590441_Screenshot2023-11-25at18_44_44.thumb.png.363e21637260aca2e8cd104a08dfb885.png

In doing this exercise, I realize that it would seem Panasonic M43 and the Sony lenses were seemingly designed rather independently whereas Panasonic L was really designed all at once.

Obviously the decision between these would be heavily dependent on the situation, but obviously I'd choose the smallest one for the millions of reasons I've already shared.

When I look at the choices of S5iiX, Sony, GX85, Nikon, Fuji, I see the choice as being around:

• Size and weight - for both your own ergonomics as well as how stealth you wish to be
  • Dynamic Range - some of these setups have higher DR than others
  • Stabilisation - some of these setups will have Dual IS, but i'm assuming some won't

Obviously there are loads of other things going on too, but these are the ones that I see mattering to me.  Ones that don't matter to me are:

• DoF - almost all these lenses are capable of creating levels of background defocus used in cinema, which is enough for me
  • Codec / resolution - the GX85 with 100Mbps 4K IPB h264 codec edits fine on my Intel MBP and is sufficient on a 1080p timeline (if it's good enough for Hollywood it's good enough for me) so I don't need extra resolution or ALL-I to edit with
  • Colour science - with colour management any of these cameras can be coloured just as easily as any other and [production design] > [colour grading ability] > [camera colour science]

9 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I love the fov coming from a 40mm lens on a FF camera. A native 40mm 2.8 pancake would be sweet, with Af and a clutch for hard stops when in manual focus.

That is exactly what I want too. I'm really hoping Panasonic makes one, but if it were Sigma, Viltrox, or Samyang, I'd be happy too.

Heck, if OM System released a point and shoot full-frame or M43 with a 40mm, I'd seriously consider it.

There were some other important point of the lenses + bodies I put up earlier and would probably favor Panasonic L mount:

• Breathing correction
  • Consistent colors
  • Size for gimbals
  • Consistent AF motors
  • Consistent fall-off
  • Consistent look

Actually, I really only see Olympus PRO lenses being similar to the Panasonic FF lenses. Maybe I'm wrong? It would seem Panasonic is developing from the get-go whereas others are developing by answering the question: "where's the hole?" E-mount and M43 is kind of understandable because they've been around for so long. Cinema glass seems similar to the Panasonic method as they need them to quickly swap on follow focus systems.

12 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

What about a 50mm 1.8 bargain lens on the S1? @Beritar  That should be much smaller. The Sigma 45mm 2.8 is pretty small but is a relevant amount narrower regarding fov than a 40mm. No real equivalent to the nice 20mm 1.7 in the FF world other than the Voigtlaender 40mm F2 in M-mount or a Konica with a long flange and adapter.

I love the fov coming from a 40mm lens on a FF camera. A native 40mm 2.8 pancake would be sweet, with Af and a clutch for hard stops when in manual focus. The G9 II in S5II body is dwarfed by the gigantic S1.😂 Oly 35RC has a 42.5mm F2.8 lens btw. I loved that lens and focal length and that camera.:)

For sure, the 50mm f1.8 S is much smaller with the S5 or S5II. Very sharp lens, almost clinical, with good bokeh at short to medium distance.
But the G9II with the PL 25mm is still nicer to use (smaller and lighter) and has IMHO better character :

P1004398.thumb.jpg.44cc6bf1238dbc105c2d77ff63e09366.jpg

And just for fun, a comparison with the little 20mm pancake 😅 :

P1004400.thumb.jpg.f15383227c73d4b653b2e06fd55e98b0.jpg

12 hours ago, John Matthews said:

There were some other important point of the lenses + bodies I put up earlier and would probably favor Panasonic L mount:

• Breathing correction
  • Consistent colors
  • Size for gimbals
  • Consistent AF motors
  • Consistent fall-off
  • Consistent look

Actually, I really only see Olympus PRO lenses being similar to the Panasonic FF lenses. Maybe I'm wrong? It would seem Panasonic is developing from the get-go whereas others are developing by answering the question: "where's the hole?" E-mount and M43 is kind of understandable because they've been around for so long. Cinema glass seems similar to the Panasonic method as they need them to quickly swap on follow focus systems.

The 25mm and 45mm Oly Pro lenses are even heavier than the 50mm and 85mm f1.8 S. But yes both the Oly share similar size and weight.

Technically, you can say they are close to f2.5 for DOF and Bokeh, they are also less sharp wide open than the S 50mm and 85mm Panasonic FF. But their bokeh and rendering are great, and we can't get the same IBIS quality, the same rolling shutter and the 4K 120fps when using the S lenses on the S5II. 

P1241076.jpg

34 minutes ago, Beritar said:

The 25mm and 45mm Oly Pro lenses are even heavier than the 50mm and 85mm f1.8 S. But yes both the Oly share similar size and weight.

Technically, you can say they are close to f2.5 for DOF and Bokeh, they are also less sharp wide open than the S 50mm and 85mm Panasonic FF. But their bokeh and rendering are great, and we can't get the same IBIS quality, the same rolling shutter and the 4K 120fps when using the S lenses on the S5II. 

I've always said those Olympus pro lenses weren't really in the spirit of M43, but that doesn't mean they aren't great lenses. I have the 17mm pro. When you look at the final image at any reasonable magnification, they look more than great. As for the 17mm, it's difficult, if not impossible, to get that sharp, shallow DOF on a wide lens, that 17mm gets you close as long as the subject isn't that far away.

5 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I've always said those Olympus pro lenses weren't really in the spirit of M43, but that doesn't mean they aren't great lenses. I have the 17mm pro. When you look at the final image at any reasonable magnification, they look more than great. As for the 17mm, it's difficult, if not impossible, to get that sharp, shallow DOF on a wide lens, that 17mm gets you close as long as the subject isn't that far away.

Yes, on M43 it's hard to get the same look than a FF 35mm f1.4 or f1.2.
I have the 35mm GM for that, awesome lens, ultra sharp wide open with nice bokeh, and not so large and heavy. It's one of the best lens I ever used. I would love to put this lens on my Panasonic S cameras ...