New Nikon Camera coming…Z8?

FHDcrew

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, Django said:

I'm not yet sure what type of performance I'd get

From the brief hands on experience that I had with @Andrew Reid's Z9 and Megadap E mount adapter, I was impressed enough to consider it a bit of a turning point in finally purchasing the Z9 (or Z8 or Z9 or Z8).

This review is with a broader range of lenses and setups.

There are a couple of EF adapters out there and the one I'm looking at is the Meike with the drop in VND system. 

This is their own test video but it looks usable enough.

For M mount (and everything else like M42, C/Y, Manual focus F mount etc that you can adapt to M) I have the original version of the TechArt Pro for E mount and it works well for what it is but has some restrictions.

Their version for the Z mount looks to made a lot of steps forward and for the miracle it is performing in terms of bringing AF to manual focus lenses I'd be fine with the performance judging by videos such as this.

With regard to the FTZ, I've only seen positive things really other than some slight slow down with TCs but thats par for the course a lot of the time with my experience on some lenses on TCs on the native F mount.

I'm not sure there is any performance difference between the FTZ and FTZii but the latter is the one for the Z9 as it doesn't have the protruding foot.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What a heaven of a post towards a real brand and format agnostic truly professional tool without the customary BS talk to fall on deaf ears of a community for decades I see, man!

@Django&@FHDcrew your likes to say 'thanks' are too short, I'm afraid, here's then more on topic ; )

And who will miss it, fits both on this couple of no-clue about:

a) what a brand like Nikon means up to 2023 still without video high-end to protect so far;

b) we've finally arrived in 2023 whereas the introduction of a hybrid camera series pops up to make more sense than two separate worlds...

Including to those junkies of still photography thinking the other half as the dark side, not yet missing in action for sure but maybe closer, i.e., definitely less far away than ever before : )

In conclusion, hence what this Nikon's entry means to me and many others I guess, not too distracted with my dick is bigger than yours mantra.

:- )

- EAG

Well I'm very happy to see Nikon is finally back with an extremely solid flagship. Its system/mount certainly deserves it.

The irony is that it sort of took Z8 to redeploy the light on Nikon, despite it being a repackaged Z9 that's been out for 2y!

But it is certainly those smart adapters that are the real game changer for someone like me with multiple lens systems that isn't sure where to go next.. I still have some reserves (specs aren't everything) but GAS is high so again I need to test out a Z8/Z9 ASAP.. 

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

OK, I’d switch out the 20-40 to the 28-75 for ceremonies and speeches at weddings, but it’s the only realistic 2 body set up I could contemplate.

Also don't forget in DX mode with one push the 20-40 turns into a 30-60, and that with Hi-Res Zoom function it becomes a 40-80mm via lens ring control. How cool is that?

20 minutes ago, Django said:

The irony is that it sort of took Z8 to redeploy the light on Nikon, despite it being a repackaged Z9 that's been out for 2y!

In fact : D

In two pieces: price and form factor.

Market segment and weight are the unquestionable keys there.

- EAG :- )

1 hour ago, Django said:

Also don't forget in DX mode with one push the 20-40 turns into a 30-60, and that with Hi-Res Zoom function it becomes a 40-80mm via lens ring control. How cool is that?

Actually, in that case, I could probably cover all my needs with just 2 bodies and 2 lenses with the Nikon/Tamron combo.

It has to be my number one option for 2024 if within the LMA, they don’t produce something that meets my needs.

The appeal of doing it all with just 2 bodies and never having to change lenses is my holy grail.

I can’t do it with L Mount because the lenses do not exist. The bodies I think will come, but it’s that Tamron 35-150 that just sits in it’s own space all alone.

And even that 20-40… That is such a perfect indoor everything and outdoor landscape and architectural lens. The closest is the Sony but it’s f4 which outdoor is fine but indoors less so.

Since I am a portait and studio whore, I still would go with z9. 

Also don't really get the z8 price point. 3.5k would have been nice and then leave out some of the highend features. Is it true that you can't shoot 240fps in HD? Recording on to SD would have been nice.

On 5/19/2023 at 8:18 PM, Django said:

So I'm slowly just realising that I could adapt my EF, E-mount & Leica M glass on a Z system. And obviously F-mount duh. So basically all of the glass I own could be put to use on this one system. That's a huge friggin deal. I'm not yet sure what type of performance I'd get, especially with the EF & E-mount and I hear the FTZ adapter is kinda garbage but yeah that's a big win for Z system as far as I'm concerned..

Oh and yes, tilt screen display is the way!

Nah I never noticed much difference shooting my G lenses with the adapter vs the Z lenses  

23 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Actually, in that case, I could probably cover all my needs with just 2 bodies and 2 lenses with the Nikon/Tamron combo.

It has to be my number one option for 2024 if within the LMA, they don’t produce something that meets my needs.

The appeal of doing it all with just 2 bodies and never having to change lenses is my holy grail.

I can’t do it with L Mount because the lenses do not exist. The bodies I think will come, but it’s that Tamron 35-150 that just sits in it’s own space all alone.

And even that 20-40… That is such a perfect indoor everything and outdoor landscape and architectural lens. The closest is the Sony but it’s f4 which outdoor is fine but indoors less so.

Sounds like Z8/Z9 is calling your name! I honestly don't see Pannyboy catching up with neither the sensor or such features as 8K60p RAW within the next year. Nikon AF has always been superb on stills. The burst rate is insane. Great flash integration. The tilt screen. And of course the open lens system giving you access to pretty much anything you desire..

2 hours ago, D Verco said:

Nah I never noticed much difference shooting my G lenses with the adapter vs the Z lenses  

I heard lens support was weak especially older Nikkor.. but good to know performance is on par with native Z on G lenses!

46 minutes ago, Django said:

Sounds like Z8/Z9 is calling your name

Without question, that combo ticks all my boxes and the only compromise really, is the cost to change and then the hassle of enacting that change and all that goes with it.

Wave a magic wand and quote, “instantus changus” and I’d go with that immediately.

But as that is not reality, I’ll sit on my L Mount Alliance fence and see what those folks come up with over the next 6-9 months…

1 hour ago, Django said:

Sounds like Z8/Z9 is calling your name! I honestly don't see Pannyboy catching up with neither the sensor or such features as 8K60p RAW within the next year. Nikon AF has always been superb on stills. The burst rate is insane. Great flash integration. The tilt screen. And of course the open lens system giving you access to pretty much anything you desire..

I heard lens support was weak especially older Nikkor.. but good to know performance is on par with native Z on G lenses!

You're pretty on the spot on everything else but ; )

this guy here says non-native glass is surprising him, even better results than native ones as far as AF performance concerns, go figure!

Seems FTZ-II adapter is a winner here.

For stabilization though, the story can be another one anyway, I guess :- )

11 hours ago, Django said:

G no trouble. Metering with old ais and screwdriver, mehhh. But might be user error to some extent. I guess they don't have the prong but then also demand to fully close aperature to work.

• Super Members

The release of the Z8 has certainly stimulated a lot of trade ins of Z9s at MapCamera at least as usually there are between 0-1 on any given day.

Probably cements my decision to get a used Z9 when I get there.

Well, I say "cement" but, you know, its only Thursday

1765931801_ScreenShot2023-05-25at15_29_42.thumb.png.bfb1f417fbae8a81df6958d9f3bda00a.png

I’m keeping an eye myself on both used prices and availability because I still have a slightly crazy idea of sticking with L Mount for video, but flipping my pair of S1R’s one of which has a battery grip, plus 3 Sigma lenses, for one single Z9 with the Tamron 20-40 for indoors and that 35-150 for outdoors. Stills mainly.

But the weight…

Put an S1R plus battery grip plus Sigma 28-70 in the scales yesterday and 1889 grams.

According to the official specs, Z9 + Megadapter + Tammy 35-150 = 2600+ 

Gulp. That is a bit of a beast…but having said that, single body at any one time and not juggling 2 bodies has massive appeal…

9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I’m keeping an eye myself on both used prices and availability because I still have a slightly crazy idea of sticking with L Mount for video, but flipping my pair of S1R’s one of which has a battery grip, plus 3 Sigma lenses, for one single Z9 with the Tamron 20-40 for indoors and that 35-150 for outdoors. Stills mainly.

But the weight…

Put an S1R plus battery grip plus Sigma 28-70 in the scales yesterday and 1889 grams.

According to the official specs, Z9 + Megadapter + Tammy 35-150 = 2600+ 

Gulp. That is a bit of a beast…but having said that, single body at any one time and not juggling 2 bodies has massive appeal…

I'd be way too worried about a Bridezilla situation depending on a 3rd party adaptor in the mix and having it fail at the most inopportune time with that setup.

I'd guess in the foreseeable future Nikon will allow more Sigma lenses for Z, and I think Sigma is likely to make something to compete with the Tamron 35-150, available on L & E as well of course.

6 hours ago, D Verco said:

Are you doing stills and video at the same time?

Yes. Always. Mostly flipping between the two constantly but at times, need to do both at the same time which means video unit on sticks plus shooting stills with a second unit, or shooting 8k video with just one unit and pulling stills.

I do not have an 8k camera so have to do the at minimum, 2 camera approach.

6 hours ago, hojomo said:

I'd guess in the foreseeable future Nikon will allow more Sigma lenses for Z, and I think Sigma is likely to make something to compete with the Tamron 35-150, available on L & E as well of course.

The latter especially is something I am hoping for…

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Yes. Always. Mostly flipping between the two constantly but at times, need to do both at the same time which means video unit on sticks plus shooting stills with a second unit, or shooting 8k video with just one unit and pulling stills.

I do not have an 8k camera so have to do the at minimum, 2 camera approach.

The latter especially is something I am hoping for…

Nikon has a 24-120mm f/4 native Z-mount lens that is generally well-regarded. Oh, the Tamron is an f/2-f/2.8. That's pretty neat.