Shooting with a 4K pocket camera - the exceptional Panasonic LX100

Andrew Reid

Hi Just a note not sure if any one has posted this if you are in the UK and you bought one of these camera,s you can claim the funky iris lens cap for free direct from panasonic uk   you have to claim it before the end of this month 

link  here 

http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/lumix-lx100-free-lens-cap-offer/

My LX100 turned up yesterday the original  review andrew  totally did it justice it is an amazing little camera and a serious bang per buck 

just from playing with it last night i know the footage is going to be interesting to work with 

i will post some test footage after some heavy grading and rinsing it thru resolve a few times ,maybe later in the week BTW i normally fiddle with alexa ,red footage and DPX,s  so this should be fun  i thought if people are interested  it would be good to do a work flow for this ...that any one can afford to do because i think it will be quite popular camera ..plus i have one Ha!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

fun goes away in like a couple of weeks and then it's time to make something. I had way less fun when I bought the Canon 7d four years ago but damn I learned a lot using that bastard for years.

I still use my 7d as well. (photos) I did have fun buying the thing and getting all excited about discovering the potential. That's enjoyable.

But buying for the sake of buying...or just waiting for something better before you buy? You'll be waiting forever.

Thats like a guy that has a pen and paper, but demands to own a typewriter before he'll write a story.

Concerning the battery door, isn't there a way to unmount it properly? even if it's not supposed to there's always a way...

when it's on a rig the battery and SD are not going to go anywhere anyway, and you can still put a piece of gaffer tape if you're not confident...

i'm planning on using this camera mainly for baroque music concerts. Since i already have a FUji X-T1 for amazing stills, i'm not willing to invest in a A7S rig (yet) so the LX100 is the perfect camera for me... amazing 4K and good enough lowlight perf.

the 15min limitation seems okay since very few pieces of music last this long and i can trigger it from a smartphone.

But changing the battery 1 or 2 times in the concert is a bit harder to deal with...

I don't get that either. Why are you even buying cameras if you don't really need them?

I mean shopping can be quite fun! I had fun when I bought the a7s and played around with it a bit. But that fun goes away in like a couple of weeks and then it's time to make something. I had way less fun when I bought the Canon 7d four years ago but damn I learned a lot using that bastard for years.

People who just skip and wait and skip and wait, will also skip learning and doing. And that's way more fun than buying a great camera.

I think that there is some logic here, and I'm on the fence about the LX-100.  There are lots to like about the camera like 4k image quality, zoom lens, EVF, compact size.  However I probably not purchase it knowing that Panasonic has left out some obvious features (touch/tilt LCD, HDMI out) for a future update, or not to compete with existing products (e.g. GH4).

Reasons for me to wait:

If Panasonic releases a 4k GM or GX camera, or Olympus get proper video output, or Samsung/Sony offer something GX7-size worth swapping to from my current u4/3 lens investment.

My current camera doesn't prevent me from shooting or creating, even though I would like some improvements in image quality.  I'm willing to wait a while for enough new features to move from what I now own and use.

Concerning the battery door, isn't there a way to unmount it properly? even if it's not supposed to there's always a way...

when it's on a rig the battery and SD are not going to go anywhere anyway, and you can still put a piece of gaffer tape if you're not confident...

i'm planning on using this camera mainly for baroque music concerts. Since i already have a FUji X-T1 for amazing stills, i'm not willing to invest in a A7S rig (yet) so the LX100 is the perfect camera for me... amazing 4K and good enough lowlight perf.

the 15min limitation seems okay since very few pieces of music last this long and i can trigger it from a smartphone.

But changing the battery 1 or 2 times in the concert is a bit harder to deal with...

I'm pretty sure there is a way because you can use a DC Coupler (http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMW-DCC11) and an AC Adapter (http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMW-AC10) with the LX100. Those parts are listed in the accessories in the manual. 

Not quite. There's a sealable hole in the battery door, which you can run a wire through. The compartment door itself would be difficult to get rid of without breaking it/being able to put it back together again, I'd say.

lol, thanks, I did not even see the whole... I'll go take another coffee.

Not quite. There's a sealable hole in the battery door, which you can run a wire through. The compartment door itself would be difficult to get rid of without breaking it/being able to put it back together again, I'd say.

Still, couldn't you hook this up to an external battery with much larger capacity then? (unless the hole is also completely blocked by any mounting plate).

(wouldn't help if you need to swap memory cards of course, better buy a big one :))

I just don't get this mentality. Get something. Use it. Make things.

The alternative is just... shopping. How's is that any fun?

That's a serious question. I truly don't understand. If anyone wants to try to explain it to me, I'd appreciate it.

Two words : Budget & priorities :)

The camera won't degrade :) and if something better comes along then there are choices. :)

Example: I pre-ordered the BMPCC, but cancelled the order when reviews pointed out the issues it had. Now the issues are fixed so the camera is worth considering again for me. I like film IQ, not video. The BMPCC IQ is more to my liking, but the LX100 is an easier camera to work with I'd expect.

As for my photo cameras (Sigma dp series) I bought them as soon as they came out full price. Because it was top priority for me :) That said I still use the old versions from 2009 also as they have unique IQ.

Can a USB battery pack (those used to recharge your mobile) e connected to the USB port and power the camera or at least recharge??

People who just skip and wait and skip and wait, will also skip learning and doing. And that's way more fun than buying a great camera.

This doesn't even start to compute. :) Your saying either A) one need to buy every new camera to learn, or B) it is the gear that is important.

Both are wrong in my mind.

Or... that the most fun is 'learning and doing', therefor you should not postpone a purchase, but start shooting with any of the current means availlable, instead of holding off on buying because the next great thing is always around the corner and you feel like you should only be shooting with the very best and latest (which leads to a vicious circle and gets you nowhere).

So... as long as you read it like that, it computes just fine. ;)

Nice review Andrew. I've been following your blog for a long time already. I plan to buy this camera, but please do confirm that 43mm filters work well without vignetting. And also, how many stops of ND will be ideal in shooting f1.7 1/48 in broad daylight? Thanks.

btw, you should block/ban idiots who post nonsense. They exist everywhere, especially in dpreview. 

The Panasonic battery is 7.2V so may need a special battery - not sure what connector the dc coupler provides is.

Maybe something like this with an additional plug adapter;

http://www.amazon.com/Venom-3300mAh-6-Cell-Battery-Universal/dp/B0007U9OF0

If you can use a DC coupler with the LX100 then such a battery pack could be used.  I've made a similar rig for my Canon ELPH 300 (for long time-lapses) and a pair of 18650 (3.7v) batteries in a parallel battery holder (essentially a 2 cell battery pack).  I also wired  another connector with an inline 3.7 volt BUCK converter so I could use a small sealed 12v battery for extremely long power needs.

The point is to supply the correct voltage with the correct connector tip and polarity for the DC coupler.  The cameras battery level indicator in all likelihood will be inaccurate though.

I was conidering to buy a 14mm pancake as well as the Oly 45 1.8, as this is the range I'll use the most, I shoot music videos and making offs of events, etc..

The thing is that range of lens is almost the same as the fixed lens on the LX100, so I'm wandering if considering my needs, I would be off selling my GM1 and going to the LX100, you guys thinks is worth it??  I also considered the FZ1000, but I think is too bulky (I like small cameras that I can always carry with me) and although I'd appreciate the 120fps, low light performance is more important so I guess the LX100 is better there with a bigger sensor and a brighter lens.

Please give me a heads up! I'm not sure which move would make more sense (I'm almost decided for the LX100, but I won't compromise!)

Hey,

I also own the GM1, the Oly 45/1.8 and the Pana 20/1.7 - and I ordered the LX100. I think the 2 Systems are not really comparable: with the GM1 + 45/1.8 you get a much tighter DoP and nicer bokeh than with the LX100 at 75 mm (35 equiv.)

BUT: it is really difficult to keep steady without a tripod! I've tried the LX100 at Maximum tele - the OIS is good to Keep shots steady, if you don't pan and if you use the viewfinder for additional stabilization. Impossible with the GM1 + 45/1.8. So for run and gun filmmaking, the LX100 will be the better choice: you get the whole range of the lens with OIS, you don't Need to Change lenses, the additional viewfinder is excellent to protect your footage from shakes etc. Not to Forget: the 4K-mode extends the reach of the zoom, if you edit in Full-HD! And the 50p-modes in Full-HD give you basic slow-motion Features.

On the other Hand: for Music Videos it is pretty cool to use adapted oldschool-lenses. You even can film while just Holding the lens in front of the bayonet and moving it around (like a Lensbaby). These effects won't be possible with the LX100. So for creative Music Videos in a controlled Environment, with tripods, jibs and so on: Take the GM1. But for Run'n'Gun-filmmaking: better choose the LX100.

Hope that helps.

Best,

D

Hey,

I also own the GM1, the Oly 45/1.8 and the Pana 20/1.7 - and I ordered the LX100. I think the 2 Systems are not really comparable: with the GM1 + 45/1.8 you get a much tighter DoP and nicer bokeh than with the LX100 at 75 mm (35 equiv.)

BUT: it is really difficult to keep steady without a tripod! I've tried the LX100 at Maximum tele - the OIS is good to Keep shots steady, if you don't pan and if you use the viewfinder for additional stabilization. Impossible with the GM1 + 45/1.8. So for run and gun filmmaking, the LX100 will be the better choice: you get the whole range of the lens with OIS, you don't Need to Change lenses, the additional viewfinder is excellent to protect your footage from shakes etc. Not to Forget: the 4K-mode extends the reach of the zoom, if you edit in Full-HD! And the 50p-modes in Full-HD give you basic slow-motion Features.

On the other Hand: for Music Videos it is pretty cool to use adapted oldschool-lenses. You even can film while just Holding the lens in front of the bayonet and moving it around (like a Lensbaby). These effects won't be possible with the LX100. So for creative Music Videos in a controlled Environment, with tripods, jibs and so on: Take the GM1. But for Run'n'Gun-filmmaking: better choose the LX100.

Hope that helps.

Best,

D

That's the thing though! I do like the old lenses and even cheap lenses look, flairs, etc... But budget being an issue I was wondering if the LX100 will do the trick, being good in low light, with a nice lens, and stabilisation, if the DOF an bookeh (in that range) wasn't far from what I can get with a GM1 I would go for it. I have a rather basic tripod and monopod, and I would like a small setup that gives me pretty much the same quality with the benefits of a compact yet complete package. 

That's the thing though! I do like the old lenses and even cheap lenses look, flairs, etc... But budget being an issue I was wondering if the LX100 will do the trick, being good in low light, with a nice lens, and stabilisation, if the DOF an bookeh (in that range) wasn't far from what I can get with a GM1 I would go for it. I have a rather basic tripod and monopod, and I would like a small setup that gives me pretty much the same quality with the benefits of a compact yet complete package. 

More of a curiosity perhaps, but as most fast compact zooms, the LX100 does have some fairly pronounce flaring - maybe you can use it to your advantage ;)

Other than that, there are always filters and post processing to give some character too! - and don't forget, Andrew Reid actually used this camera for some shots in music-video that is in the article that started this thread.