Quick test of a Beast: Moller Anamorphot 30/2x. 1st (known) public video of this anamorphic lens.

yannis.zach

Having it sitting for a long time, I said to finally give it a try, as until now it was impossible to get any info about it, or even so to find a video made with this rare beast. 

Quick test of the Moller Anamorphot 30/2x, on an Oly E-M1.

I have to admit that wasn't that easy to work with it, it's big like an Iscorama, not easy to use just an anamorphic clamp and I always prefer smaller anamorphics to play with, so I don't have the proper rig solution for this Moller. But the image quality that comes out of it, puts it (at least) beside Iscorama.

Any comment is welcome, this lens is a miracle:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

At last a chance to see this unit perform. Perhaps you can show some daytime footage?

These units show up about 4/5 times a year, always without the back lens which would have been a Cooke Speed Panchro F2/50 or similar with focus mechanism. Before the resurgence of interest in anamorphic with the advent of large sensor cameras over the last 5/6 years, it seems that these units were scavanged for the Cooke SPs which is a great pity since the complete unit would be quite a treasure.

How are you mounting it, do you have a picture to show?

At last a chance to see this unit perform. Perhaps you can show some daytime footage?

These units show up about 4/5 times a year, always without the back lens which would have been a Cooke Speed Panchro F2/50 or similar with focus mechanism. Before the resurgence of interest in anamorphic with the advent of large sensor cameras over the last 5/6 years, it seems that these units were scavanged for the Cooke SPs which is a great pity since the complete unit would be quite a treasure.

How are you mounting it, do you have a picture to show?

I'll try for the daytime footage John, but since I have no proper rig solution for it, seems painful (having also in mind of how lazy I am :P).

I agree though that the full unit could be a real treasure... I uploaded a better video, so click again to see it, the previous one was a bit dark.

Attached a photo of my very simple set: 

post-32860-0-03078400-1401716329_thumb.j

Yes I see, clamping the rear cell is not such a robust solution and is not ideal for many reasons.

A good design would protect the cell from damage.

A better mounting solution is required which would enhance its value.

If you are interested in having something custom designed for this scope, PM me for details.

Yes I see, clamping the rear cell is not such a robust solution and is not ideal for many reasons.

A good design would protect the cell from damage.

A better mounting solution is required which would enhance its value.

If you are interested in having something custom designed for this scope, PM me for details.

PM sent!

The flare from this lens looks like the front and rear optics are not properly aligned - is there any sign that it's been opened for cleaning? Looks like it may not be reassembled properly and is not resolving its optimum sharpness. The streak lines in the flare should always be parallel to each other - some of these look skewed, indicating an internal alignment issue.

The flare from this lens looks like the front and rear optics are not properly aligned - is there any sign that it's been opened for cleaning? Looks like it may not be reassembled properly and is not resolving its optimum sharpness. The streak lines in the flare should always be parallel to each other - some of these look skewed, indicating an internal alignment issue.

Shame about the mis alignment.  That flare colour is lovely.

I've always wanted this lens just as a display piece - that front optic is stunning.  I'd probably under light it in a glass dome and have it as a centre piece in my bachelor pad.  

My god that is MASSIVE. How wide can you go before it vignettes?  Would love to see some daylight outdoor, and some faces.

The footage made with the Helios 44 2/58 @ f/3.5, with this lens starts vignetting with lower aperture than f/2.8, @ f/2.8 it's still usable, but not proper. I have to try it with more lenses to be sure. As about the daylight footage: as I previously said, it's difficult without the proper rig solution to work with it. As you can see in the photo with the set, I just put it on the rails and then trying to focus with it by moving it a bit, so to be able to turn the focus ring, then back to position in touch with the taking lens... Also, the front optic is huge (~106mm) and I don't have NDs of that diameter :(

I just received a message from John so he will help me to create a proper rig solution, but I need some time :P .

I really don't know Häns, since I received it, that was the first time that I tried to play with it a little. I have to check it further, it's so nice lens that deserves care anyway. But to be honest, I prefer it like that, has its own character :)

I'll try for the daytime footage John, but since I have no proper rig solution for it, seems painful (having also in mind of how lazy I am :P).

I agree though that the full unit could be a real treasure... I uploaded a better video, so click again to see it, the previous one was a bit dark.

Hi did you cut your lens? thst is in the picture

Second (crazy) quick test of the Moller 30/2x, this time on the BMPCC, with a Lumix II 20mm! Yes, 2x anamorphic with 20mm lens :).
Camera's ISO @800, lens' aperture is @f/1.7 fully wide open and the image is crispy clear...
Video mode on the BMPCC.
It is very visible that with the Lumix we can notice some amount of distortion... Or I do something wrong maybe? The distortion may be corrected in post, so the Moller is the first (known to me at least) 2x anamorphic that can be used with such a wide angle lens.
(Sorry for the missed-focus seconds, but I had my mind on the Anamorphot, as I had it on the rig without clamps or any other kind of support, it was just in front of the Lumix lens).

• 1 month later...

Hi did you modify the lens in any way. What i mean is did you remove/cut the back of the lens. And if yes why did you do it? does the lens focus closer

thanks

There is a way google cooking anamorphic. I also seen this guy cutting his big anamorphic lens in half same one I have to get 35 mm lens to fit and it does not vignet but I am to afraid to cut my. Cooking anamorphic vide he does it to focus closer from 15 ft to like 6 inches but I believe if you screw up the aligment then it's hard to correct it