Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 is a great lens and they go pretty cheap. Of course, that same lens on a M4/3 focal reducer will only give you a S35mm FOV of around 35mm...

But... if I may... it’s not my money or anything but you probably already have everything you need with the X-T3, and unless you plan on shooting Raw, I don’t know if you will gain that much by getting a P4K as well. And remember that Raw will take up a bunch of memory which isn’t cheap for the P4K.

In the end, you may be better off selling the M4/3 speedbooster and getting the right lens for your X-T3. What lenses do you already own for that system?

@thephoenix

i do not own any fuji lenses at the moment just because they mostly only fit fuji. so i prefer canon which has adapters for virtually any brand.

so far i have canon 28mm 2.8 stab, tamron 28-70mm g2 2.8 stab, canon 85mm 1.4 stab and canon 110 2.8 stab

also just bought a nice helios 44M4 and was planing buying a tokina 17mm 3.5 but this tokina is canon fd.

maybe the answer is to get fd to fuji x adapter and fd to m43 adapter but i will lose the advantage of the speedbooster and i want a good wide lens as i like to shoot wide angles.

for the bmpcc4k, you might be right except that i will have the resolve license with it and 422 internal with large screen. raw, yeah why not, didn't tried it so far. fuji will probably not get raw in their cameras at least not the xt3.

and i need a second camera to shoot.

what brands give the best results with adapters to canon ef ?

9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

What do you mean? Metabones makes fuji focal reducers as does Lens Turbo and the other Chinese brands. 

yes you have the lens turbo for ef lenses, the metabones is really expensive and is for fd lenses, so if i want to use all my lenses i would have to get both, that is stupid and expensive in a way. adapting to ef would allow me to use only one reducer.

problem is this crap thing about fd to ef

seems like i have a problem

41 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

i do not own any fuji lenses at the moment just because they mostly only fit fuji. so i prefer canon which has adapters for virtually any brand.

so far i have canon 28mm 2.8 stab, tamron 28-70mm g2 2.8 stab, canon 85mm 1.4 stab and canon 110 2.8 stab

also just bought a nice helios 44M4 and was planing buying a tokina 17mm 3.5 but this tokina is canon fd.

maybe the answer is to get fd to fuji x adapter and fd to m43 adapter but i will lose the advantage of the speedbooster and i want a good wide lens as i like to shoot wide angles.

for the bmpcc4k, you might be right except that i will have the resolve license with it and 422 internal with large screen. raw, yeah why not, didn't tried it so far. fuji will probably not get raw in their cameras at least not the xt3.

and i need a second camera to shoot.

what brands give the best results with adapters to canon ef ?

Nikon Mount is usually the best option for adaptable lenses, but anything with a longer flange distance than EF would work... M42, Pentax K, Olympus OM, Yashica/Contax, etc... search flange distance on Wikipedia for a full list. Ones that definitely won’t work are Canon FD, Minolta MD, Konica AR, etc... Again look for a flange distance list.

What kind of work do you do that you need 4:22 and the Resolve license? Just curious, because a lot can be done with Resolve Lite.

Honestly, with all of your Canon lenses, you may be better off with a Canon. If you’re looking to shoot Raw, a 5D2 can be had really cheap and there is some beautiful work out there done with it.

I’m not here to knock the P4K but I think a lot of people hear about specs they think they need and don’t take the downsides into consideration that comes along with BMD cameras.

Oh yeah, how do you like the Canon 85mm 1.4 IS? That’s a pricey lens, right?

Someone mentioned they need a full frame equivalent 24mm lens on the XT3, so I was just saying an option would be a lens turbo + a nikon 24mm 2.8, cheap option. If you have a ton of Canon glass you want to adapt that is a different situation. 

Ever thought about getting a Canon C100? Unless you need stills of course. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:37 AM, thephoenix said:

ok that is stacking adapters i've learned.

seems to be possible. anyone has tested ?

I stack adapters. All of my Nikon lenses have a "permanent" Nikon F -> Canon EF adapter attached. Stacking cheap adapters can result in more play overall. However, most F/EF adapters can actually be tightened with a flathead screwdriver so there is no added play. (They aren't permanent really, but I haven't taken the adapters off in years)

Then, I use a Canon EF to Samsung NX adapter that lives on my NX1. I basically just treat my NX1 as an EF camera now, as @kye suggested. If you regularly switch cameras and lenses, I highly recommend settling on one standard mount and converting everything to that. I've used my same lens set on 5D3, NX1, XT3, Ursa mini, and others. And sometimes on shoots I've used Canon, Rokinon EF or Zeiss ZF lenses alongside mine. So settling on EF as a standard has really made my life easier.

Unfortunately, that means that my beautiful Konica and FD mount lenses haven't seen use in a long time.

@KnightsFan I am in the process of doing the same thing but using either Leitax adapters or Simmod mounts. I haven’t completely settled on my final few sets of lenses I want to build. I’m testing a bunch now and will build accordingly. I have a few more lenses to test before I make my final decision and then I just need to find a Minolta 58mm 1.2 at a decent price so that the mod won’t break the bank. My 35mm 1.8 needs a big brother.

What FD lenses do you have? If you have some old L glass, it may be worth modifying with the EdMika mounts. As I mentioned upthread, I have a Nikon Mount FD 50mm 1.4 but at this point I don’t see a need to build an FD set since I like the FD 50mm better than the EF 50mm 1.4 and it matches perfectly with my 28mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. Those with the sharp convenience of the 35mm f/2 IS makes for a perfect little EF set for me. I may introduce 24mm 2.8 IS eventually or the 100mm IS but for now I have what I need. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Nikon Mount is usually the best option for adaptable lenses, but anything with a longer flange distance than EF would work... M42, Pentax K, Olympus OM, Yashica/Contax, etc... search flange distance on Wikipedia for a full list. Ones that definitely won’t work are Canon FD, Minolta MD, Konica AR, etc... Again look for a flange distance list.

What kind of work do you do that you need 4:22 and the Resolve license? Just curious, because a lot can be done with Resolve Lite.

Honestly, with all of your Canon lenses, you may be better off with a Canon. If you’re looking to shoot Raw, a 5D2 can be had really cheap and there is some beautiful work out there done with it.

I’m not here to knock the P4K but I think a lot of people hear about specs they think they need and don’t take the downsides into consideration that comes along with BMD cameras.

Oh yeah, how do you like the Canon 85mm 1.4 IS? That’s a pricey lens, right?

5dmkii... How can i say... Yes you can shoot raw but memory is shit so you can only record few seconds before having frame droping and then comes the workflow which is a bit anoying.

85mm 1.4 is still in the box  ; ) just got it, sold my 50 and 85 1.2 because heavy, sloooowwwww af and no stab.

I do many things, most of it is still life in photography, used to do fashion but going to video and getting geared up.

Just bought the xt3 which i like so far but still new with it coming from canon 5dmkii. 

Wanted stab lenses because i love to shoot handheld but got a moza air 2 too. Want also vintage lenses because i love the look of them and don't always shoot handheld.

In video will try to do many things as vintage cars, itw, reportage and more

422 because coming from photo grading is very important for me. I don't shoot jpeg, always raw

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

I stack adapters. All of my Nikon lenses have a "permanent" Nikon F -> Canon EF adapter attached. Stacking cheap adapters can result in more play overall. However, most F/EF adapters can actually be tightened with a flathead screwdriver so there is no added play. (They aren't permanent really, but I haven't taken the adapters off in years)

Then, I use a Canon EF to Samsung NX adapter that lives on my NX1. I basically just treat my NX1 as an EF camera now, as @kye suggested. If you regularly switch cameras and lenses, I highly recommend settling on one standard mount and converting everything to that. I've used my same lens set on 5D3, NX1, XT3, Ursa mini, and others. And sometimes on shoots I've used Canon, Rokinon EF or Zeiss ZF lenses alongside mine. So settling on EF as a standard has really made my life easier.

Unfortunately, that means that my beautiful Konica and FD mount lenses haven't seen use in a long time.

That is why i want to keep ef mount.

Stupid question would it work going fd to nikon and stacking nikon to ef  ? 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

What FD lenses do you have?

At the moment just a 50mm f1.8 SC that I found in a local thrift store a few years ago for $10. Sometimes I think I should try to sell it, but it's my sharpest 50 and so I use it for VFX-related photography where I really need detail. It's such a beautiful lens, but it's just too much hassle to use for standard video work.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

@KnightsFan I am in the process of doing the same thing but using either Leitax adapters or Simmod mounts. I haven’t completely settled on my final few sets of lenses I want to build. I’m testing a bunch now and will build accordingly. I have a few more lenses to test before I make my final decision and then I just need to find a Minolta 58mm 1.2 at a decent price so that the mod won’t break the bank. My 35mm 1.8 needs a big brother.

What FD lenses do you have? If you have some old L glass, it may be worth modifying with the EdMika mounts. As I mentioned upthread, I have a Nikon Mount FD 50mm 1.4 but at this point I don’t see a need to build an FD set since I like the FD 50mm better than the EF 50mm 1.4 and it matches perfectly with my 28mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. Those with the sharp convenience of the 35mm f/2 IS makes for a perfect little EF set for me. I may introduce 24mm 2.8 IS eventually or the 100mm IS but for now I have what I need. 

Looking into the 50 1.4 yes, and edmika does an adapter to ef for 75 $ 

I don't want all fd set i just pick here and there the best lenses whatever the brand is

4 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Stupid question would it work going fd to nikon and stacking nikon to ef  ? 

It would not work. You can only adapt lenses to mounts with a shorter flange distance. Canon FD < Canon EF < Nikon F. That's one reason FD lenses tend to be so cheap on the used market: they can't be used on modern Canon cameras.

Well technically there are some adapters that use corrective optics to allow FD lenses on EF cameras, but they are generally expensive and reduce the quality considerably.

3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Do you need both the GH5 and XT3? Would be a heck of a lot easier to just have one system. 

By the way the EOS R can do 10 bit 422 to an external recorder. Might be a good way to go, could be an all in one system for you with all the adapter mess.

Eos r is... Sh...t expensive and has many downsides. Huge crop factor in 4k etc...

Forget about canon, the are stuck with marketing and product  lines. The still think like 10 years ago. 

Don't have gh5, might get bmpcc4k  ; )

8 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Eos r is... Sh...t expensive and has many downsides. Huge crop factor in 4k etc...

Forget about canon, the are stuck with marketing and product  lines. The still think like 10 years ago. 

Don't have gh5, might get bmpcc4k  ; )

Pocket has the same crop though and no continuous auto focus. 

FD lenses can be great but be careful.    Some of them have issues with dissolving bearings and a get very loose throw.

The regular lenses are like any old legacy lenses, some good, some less so and with all of them, condition and how hard a life they have had will be the biggest factor.

The aspherical FD L lenses are well worth getting though sometimes still expensive.

I recommend the 24 1.4 L, the 50 1.2 L and the 85 1.2 L especially.

I sold my 50 1.2 L but regret not having it and my 85 has the dissolving bearing issue.      The 24 1.4 is one I have always like but it is growing on me more and more. (can not use them on a camera just now and want something cheap just to use them. 

The non L lenses are pretty much like most of the regular Pentax K, Nikon F, Minolta MC/MD, Olympus OM, Tamron adaptall and many third party lenses ETC (some I liked and some I didn't for various reasons, sometimes ease of use being more important than a tiny bit of sharpness (Minolta MC lenses can be a pain with a lever sometimes).

2 hours ago, noone said:

FD lenses can be great but be careful.    Some of them have issues with dissolving bearings and a get very loose throw.

Now there's a terrifying combination of words I've never heard before!!

In other news, I just managed to score a good deal on a Lomo T-43 40mm f4 lens.  At ~$5 including shipping you really can't complain that it doesn't have focus controls or even a mount that you can buy adapters for, so you have to make your own.

On my GH5 it'll be 80mm equivalent, and will be competing with my much more expensive 55mm 1.8 Super Takumar and 0.7x focal reducer combination, but in a sense this might be more fun.  My plan is to do some free-lens tests and then if it's worth investing in I'll adapt it with the ~$25 for the helicoid adapter, mount adapter, and glue that you need :)

It might be useful to have such a small lens for 80mm - in situations where you want to keep the setup light-weight or compact.

5 hours ago, noone said:

The regular lenses are like any old legacy lenses, some good, some less so and with all of them, condition and how hard a life they have had will be the biggest factor.

The aspherical FD L lenses are well worth getting though sometimes still expensive.

I recommend the 24 1.4 L, the 50 1.2 L and the 85 1.2 L especially.

I sold my 50 1.2 L but regret not having it and my 85 has the dissolving bearing issue.      The 24 1.4 is one I have always like but it is growing on me more and more. (can not use them on a camera just now and want something cheap just to use them. 

The non L lenses are pretty much like most of the regular Pentax K, Nikon F, Minolta MC/MD, Olympus OM, Tamron adaptall and many third party lenses ETC (some I liked and some I didn't for various reasons, sometimes ease of use being more important than a tiny bit of sharpness (Minolta MC lenses can be a pain with a lever sometimes).

so far the issue seems not to be the quality of the lenses itself but the mount which is a pain...