Lenses - Sticky Topic

Andrew Reid

On 10/6/2021 at 3:52 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Not exactly a full blown holiday but had a few days away so took the Osmo Pocket and the Freewell anamorphic adapter to test this theory out and these are grabs from 4K/24p videos.

It does OK and its certainly unobtrusive enough in terms of carrying it and using it without attracting any attention.

The problem with the Mark 1 though here is that the FOV isn't quite big enough (which is something the vlogging/selfie crowd didn't like about it) so you can end up shooting low and up which fucks the verticals up.

The Mark 2 with its wider lens and its ability to use ND and anamorphic simultaneously (its either or with the Mark 1) is now showing me a lot of ankle.

Wouldn't have picked you for an ankle kinda guy, but each to their own. 😉  Good to see someone is out and about. love the pics, and its interesting to see other places around the world. 

I dont have an osmo pocket. However i have setup the gopro 9 with a letus anamorphic on a crane m2 gimbal, to cover my anamorphic fetish.  The letus vignettes on super view, so im stuck with the linear and  narrow fov, which honestly doesn't bother me much as i never really liked the fisheye look anyway. I did have a couple of people come up and have a chat about the gopro9  at carnell raceway a couple of weeks ago, so i'd hardly call my setup unobtrusive. 

My brother and i start our own little holiday on Saturday morning about 5ish, 3 week 4wd road trip. One Simpson desert, 600 kilometers 1200 sand dunes. Uluru and usual places of interest,  probably some out of the way places as well.

• Super Members
On 10/7/2021 at 1:45 PM, leslie said:

I dont have an osmo pocket. However i have setup the gopro 9 with a letus anamorphic on a crane m2 gimbal, to cover my anamorphic fetish.

Sounds like you've rolled your own then !

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

FP_Voigt_15_2.thumb.jpg.3745bf499c0672848a4c3cba85df6536.jpgVoigtlander 15mm f4.5 VM III on a Sigma FP 

Goddamn you... stop tempting me to buy an FP...

Seriously though, great shot. I love the contrast and the color. Your compositions are always so smart too. I love how you use your blacks to fade away, yet into your subjects.

• Super Members
16 hours ago, mercer said:

Seriously though, great shot. I love the contrast and the color. Your compositions are always so smart too. I love how you use your blacks to fade away, yet into your subjects.

Thank.

But, of course, as usual, I will say that any resemblance to deliberate intent when I'm pointing the camera or randomly fiddling with sliders later is purely coincidental !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Another opportunity for a trip so another chance to test the Osmo Pocket and Freewell Anamorphic combo (4K/24p mode).

OSMO_BCN_COMP_small.thumb.jpg.6f09949e0d034dacfde1556c6169e74d.jpg

I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to move to the Pocket 2 now as being able to use the anamorphic and ND simultaneously combined with the larger sensor and slightly wider native lens will be a worthwhile upgrade.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:51 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Both ends of the 10.9-34mm f1.7-2.8 lens of the Panasonic LX100 (4K/24p video grabs)

BCN_COMP.thumb.jpg.5ea7bc12d5b7ba6de584e32996df837f.jpg

I don't consider myself to be any sort of pixel peeper. So pardon my ignorance, i don't mind the top image, however the bottom image looks abit soft or lacks detail to me, is it a crop ? Just trying to figure out, what gives ?

• Super Members
6 hours ago, leslie said:

I don't consider myself to be any sort of pixel peeper. So pardon my ignorance, i don't mind the top image, however the bottom image looks abit soft or lacks detail to me, is it a crop ? Just trying to figure out, what gives ?

You are missing the subtleties of the LX100 producing an organic diffuse image that it is rendering with a soft film like grain.

No, hang on, scratch that, I was missing the stupidity that I had chosen to export a duff frame out of the sequence where the focus was off.