Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2

64mulford

The million dollar question...

I'm a GH2/GH4 user and contemplating getting this lens. I already have the 12-35 but feel like I really need something in that 85mm equivilent range. The DOF and low light capability of this lens is a huge plus, but the cost is not! I do a Iot of interviews and I think this lens will give the interviews a look the 12-35 just cant match (as much as I love that lens). I know there are other options out there like the 45mm f1.8 (but no IS), and the 75mm f1.8 (too long).

Anyone had any experience with this lens?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I got a 45 1.8 Oly and I'm getting a 35-100 Pany next

I have a 12-35 as well. And some vintage glass. Looking for a good speed adapter for glass. 

@64mulford If you've got the money, I'm sure you can't go wrong with a lens that has been praised by the most demanding photographers as the best in the line. I haven't used the Nocticron, but I have lots of experience with the Vario 35-100mm and it also produces beautiful results. OIS isn't great though, some sort of shoulder rig is necessary. 

• 1 month later...

I'm very interested about the prospect of using the 42.5 lens for stills with GH4. Offcourse for video as well. But main spark comes from the fact that GH4 has amazing stills AF speed and good low light focusing capability. Naturally the 42.5 is far from perfect as it certainly cannot acchieve the same Shallow depth of field that say 85mm 1.2 on a FF can but it still looks to be the best there is for portrait work in MFT land. Naturally the other very strong contenders are Olympus 75 and Oly 45mm.  Ihave Olympus 45mm and SLR magic 25mm 0.95 only the SLR magic provides a very shallow depth of field.  

I sold my 35-100mm for 42.5mm, it is definitely worth it, I would be getting FZ1000 to replace the zoom I lost with 35-100mm and as 4K Bcam.

OIS really helps especially on 85mm FOV, something my 5D with prime can't do unless it was on tripod.

I sold my 35-100mm for 42.5mm, it is definitely worth it, I would be getting FZ1000 to replace the zoom I lost with 35-100mm and as 4K Bcam.

OIS really helps especially on 85mm FOV, something my 5D with prime can't do unless it was on tripod.

I really can't believe someone sold their 35-100mm Panasonic zoom. That is one beautiful lens. I don't think I could ever part with mine.

The OIS is pretty good, but you still need to have some form of support, be it a monopod or a shoulder rig.

I love the 35-100 as well; it's almost a true apochromatic lens, and plenty of resolution throughout its zoom range (drops a bit in the edges at 100mm).