What graphic card

stefanocps

Hello, i put up a new pc for my video editing in premiere. Well, i am on a budget and i gathered all 2nd hand parts to make

I have ryzen 7 3700, 32gb ram,an asus tuf b550 mb and a nvme.

I'am still using my old graphic, gtx 760, and i think it would be nice to have something better

But as you know prices for vga are crazy, i don't want to pay  for vga more than for the whole pc!

I am searching for used gtx1660 or 1070..but still expensive, more than my pc!

In premiere i made some little edit and it seems not too bad, work with proxies

But there is a strange thing, if i play with a player clip from my xt3...h265 400mbs are fine, they play smooth

If i play h264 they are choppy..they are not playable. I tried different players and it is like that for all, but the  old app mpc, that is quite fine

I don't know if this depends on the vga, though h265 are fine..

What do you think?

And in case, what vga shall i go for not paying ridicolous money?or may it is not that worthy and it might be better to keep my 760, waiting for when prices reduce??

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It might be worth considering the economics of investing in this.  For example, if you have more work than capacity then time is money and it's worth calculating the value of your time and what time savings might be gained by buying a more expensive card, for example if you didn't have to render proxies.

Also, editing and post are creative activities and if having a slower performance annoys you then your results will be less than they could be if you weren't annoyed.

Just some things to consider.

i do edit very few time for money. I do my projects, for creativity, and personal  and artistic pourpouses, but mostly not for money, and expecially never with time in a hurry.

I spent around 350 euro for the pc, buying second hand parts..don t see logical spending the double for the card alone

I have been working in the past year with my laptop with i7 7700 and ght 1050. Of course i need to works with proxies, and render time are not fast, but i never felt being limited in this way, though i know i woul dlike to have somehting better

But you know, it is not always possible to have things in the way you wish at the most, and compromise are needed

Graphic card is one of this. I never think to spend 600, 700 euro for a graphic card..not now at least!

My post here is just for this, to find the best combination that consider saving and effectiveness

i like the fact that you have thrown something together for your self. If you are happy with your workflow keep going at it. Sometimes the next step can be a pricey one regardless of the product. 

Standard computers are good for normal tasks, when you start asking them to do the unusual, then you'll hit bottlenecks.  At the moment fast video cards are dear. If you want to get around those bottlenecks you have to spend money,  it may not be a good time to be buying. Only you can decide if the results,  justifies the expense.

i am curious, if you did have a faster card is it likely to cut out using proxies all together ? would it save  you running the machine over night ? if it did that then its probably worth it.  

you do not say whether your on a 1080 timeline or 4k or something inbetween

h265 files tend to be a bit smaller and maybe more efficient than h264. Depending on what resolution your delivering in, that may have some bearing on the the differences between h265 running smoothly and h264 not

31 minutes ago, leslie said:

i like the fact that you have thrown something together for your self. If you are happy with your workflow keep going at it. Sometimes the next step can be a pricey one regardless of the product. 

Standard computers are good for normal tasks, when you start asking them to do the unusual, then you'll hit bottlenecks.  At the moment fast video cards are dear. If you want to get around those bottlenecks you have to spend money,  it may not be a good time to be buying. Only you can decide if the results,  justifies the expense.

i am curious, if you did have a faster card is it likely to cut out using proxies all together ? would it save  you running the machine over night ? if it did that then its probably worth it.  

you do not say whether your on a 1080 timeline or 4k or something inbetween

h265 files tend to be a bit smaller and maybe more efficient than h264. Depending on what resolution your delivering in, that may have some bearing on the the differences between h265 running smoothly and h264 not

i was not looking for a fast videocard, but for one better than my gtx760 at a price that can be worthy doing the upgrade

It never happened to me to have pc render all the night, and i think i'll keep working with proxies even with a better videocard as the rest of the pc is not a monster.

My project are usually at 2k, with files shot at 4k, and on average are within 15 minutes lenght, or less

I use some fx, not that much, some cc..So i can still work now, but if for a reasonable money i can get a better performance then it'is fine, otherwise i mighht wait till the price of vga become normal

10 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

If I was to buy a card, a RTX2070 would be perfect for my needs. 1070, 1080, 2060 should be good enough even.

this is good suggestion

I was thinking about a 1660 also, probably 1070  will come out something cheaper

How do 1660 compare to those you mentioned?

GPU usage in Premiere is quite selective.  It can help with effects, render and export, but I don't think its going to impact your playback issues much (if at all).  CPU, multiple drive setup,  and overall system balance are the top considerations for Premiere.

Also, you will very often arrive at problems with h.264 and h.265 cut natively.  Much better to proxy or transcode to an editing format such as ProRes.  Even your proxies should be ProRes (or something similar like CineForm).

i don't have playback problems in premiere, and anyway i always proxies..

I have problem with playback h264 file in windows, with vlc, mediaplayer or other, but i can play smooth with the old app mpc.

I don't have problem in playing back in windows h264 files though

This was my enquire, why h264 are not smooth and h265 are?

What you mean for multiple drive setup?

• Andrew Reid changed the title to What graphic card
14 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Ah, I see.

You need at least 2 hard drives and preferably 4 (or more).  The minimum recommended setup is:

Drive 1 - OS and NLE

Drive 2 - Project files, Scratch, & Media Cache

Drive 3 - Export and Storage

Some people further separate Project files and Scratch, etc.

with the fast nvme now,odes it still have a sense to separate os/app from project files/cache ?

ihave 1 tb nvme and i thought could be enough for all together in term of speed

I know I am going to piss everyone one off that has commented but to the OP forget all they say and just go out and buy a M1 Mac of some kind and All your troubles will be over with. That is what I did, Long time PC guy, hand built nearly all of them, and said piss on it, bought a base used M1 Mac Mini , a used M1 13" Macbook Pro and hey guess what problem solved.  Run Davinci Resolve Studio like it is a hot knife though butter. Piss on any more PC crap. It is all sitting in my closet gathering dust Never to be seen again. Apple Silicon is UBER as hell. I still have a gaming laptop for my online games but that is it. I Even bought a new Ben Q 4k 32" monitor to boot. Shiting in High Cotton as they say and for WAY less money than any PC is going to do.

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I know I am going to piss everyone one off that has commented but to the OP forget all they say and just go out and buy a M1 Mac of some kind and All your troubles will be over with. That is what I did, Long time PC guy, hand built nearly all of them, and said piss on it, bought a base used M1 Mac Mini , a used M1 13" Macbook Pro and hey guess what problem solved.  Run Davinci Resolve Studio like it is a hot knife though butter. Piss on any more PC crap. It is all sitting in my closet gathering dust Never to be seen again. Apple Silicon is UBER as hell. I still have a gaming laptop for my online games but that is it. I Even bought a new Ben Q 4k 32" monitor to boot. Shiting in High Cotton as they say and for WAY less money than any PC is going to do.

with the money i should pay for the m1 i can but my pc (which  have already bought) plus any graphic card.

Thanks for suggestion but it does have nothing to do with my question! 🙂

Hell you can buy a used M1 Mini for $450.00. It sits behind my monitor they are that small. You can't buy a decent graphics card for that much money. Then you end up with a power sucking, noisy, hot, slow, big ass computer. It's your money, good luck with it.

If you want to do video editing a PC sure as hell is Not the way to go in this day and age unless you are doing 1080p with a Canon C100 Codec.