Sign in to follow this  
jurgen

GH4 price - what's the holdup?

I've been holding onto ~$1400ish waiting to hear on the GH4, but with no new information on price or release in a number of weeks I'm starting to look at other options. If it isn't for sale until late April, fine, but tell us! I'm content to wait if I can know how much I need and when I need it by.

Have I missed something? Has Panasonic said when they're announcing/what the holdup is? I've hear sometime around the 14th rumored on forums, but it just seems to be conjecture. Anyone have any insight?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

End of march Panasonic is having a press event. I think they'll have final production models and a price by then. So I guess on sale in april?

There is no 'holdup'. They never announced availability.

2 months isn't really a long time. Makes no sense either, to go announcing pricing before you know what the competition is up to. If I were Panasonic I'd wait until NAB to announce the price and immediate availability.

Immediate availability... something Blackmagic could try one day?

@jurgen Is the $1,400 burning a hole in your pocket? Because the GH4k is going to run at least $1,600-$1,700 USD. Plus SD cards. I think it would be prudent to wait until we see some tests, which I'm sure we'll start to see by some time next month. At least some first-looks, anyhow. Pricing is supposed to be announced the second week of this month, according to what I've read. Meanwhile, go out and shoot.

@jurgen Is the $1,400 burning a hole in your pocket? Because the GH4k is going to run at least $1,600-$1,700 USD. Plus SD cards. I think it would be prudent to wait until we see some tests, which I'm sure we'll start to see by some time next month. At least some first-looks, anyhow. Pricing is supposed to be announced the second week of this month, according to what I've read. Meanwhile, go out and shoot.

I've heard conflicting "reports" (read: rumors) on this - some have said $1599-$1699 (PhotoTools posted a price), while some have said that they've heard the it's going to be around the same price point as the GH3 at launch (imaging-resource: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh4/panasonic-gh4A.HTM). My assumption is that it will be in the ballpark of ~$1500 (because they're still hoping to appeal to the larger stills market), and that they'll make up some margin on the $2000 brick for video shooters.

Too much more than $1500 and you're starting to stretch it into the range of the lower end full frame DSLR's, which means you're competing with a whole different performance bracket for the dollars of stills shooters/casual hybrid shooters.

GH4 is the best contender for my next semi-pro video solution... but man I really wish that add-on brick was better designed! Ugly, bulky thing. And that's coming from a function-over-form guy! Oh well...

Interesting you say that - I kind of like it. Just looks like a big battery grip to me. I'm glad they didn't build it in and preserved the modularity of the stock body, and I'm also glad it isn't some massive, behemoth thing. Gonna be a long while before I get one (if at all - just a hobbyist), but I still kinda like it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Richard Peretti
      Hi guys,
      Found this packed away in the loft. Haven't used it in years. Open to offers, UK only please.
      Cheers

• By MurtlandPhoto
      The camera is in excellent condition without any marks. It comes in its original box with all original accessories including battery, charger, sync cable, strap, manual, etc. The 8Sinn cage is wonderful- it fits the camera like a glove and gives it plenty of mounting points for accessories. Price includes insured shipping to anywhere in continental U.S. via USPS Priority Mail. 

Payment using Paypal or Cash App.
      Located in Ithaca, NY.

• By zoombeam
      The original SLR 12mm for micro four thirds.  Built in hood.  Mint.  Box is intact.  Comes with original caps and hood.  $300.00+ shipping.
    • By Ingerson
      Well, it’s been 8 months since I completed this and almost a year since I promised @mercer to post it once completed

I don’t really know what to say about this, it’s my first short and I wanted to try this medium after trying music, photography, drawing/painting and all sorts of writing in order to figure out myself and my depression.

It took me months to complete due to my mental state and lack of energy and I intended to post this sooner, but life can be a little too much sometimes. Or very often in my case.

Even though it was the hardest creative thing I’ve done in my life, (despite having a background or experience in most of the separate artforms that make up a film) I was really lost in the entire process and I developed love/hate relationship to it. I wanted to quit all the time when I wrote it, when prepping, when shooting and during the long, motivational drainage that is editing.

But I guess that’s also where the love was born. No matter all the mistakes I made, I could somehow save it and make a decent first short thanks to the editing by re-arranging the pieces I had. Throw away most of it, stretching what was left of it, slowing or speeding up some of it, playing some of it in reverse. Dubbing in new sound (needed, cause most of it was unusable. Note to self: Don’t forget sound!

I’ve tried to make another short since, but haven’t completed the shoot. I don’t know if I’ll finish that one, it’s just a silly comedy I made with my then girlfriend, now fiancée on my phone (This one was shot on the DVX200 before anyone asks, cameras are important on this forum apperantly, hehe) because she wanted me to make something less depressing, but I guess I’m just a gloomy guy, all my new ideas are based on my different malfunctions.

Hopefully I’ll work up enough energy to make another, I really want to.

Anyway, enough talking. I hope you’ll give this a go and give me some pointers, but go easy on me, okay?

Now, pick you poison:

https://vimeo.com/272702923

https://youtu.be/rsXdjH4I5YA

• By Thecryptolounge
      Rarely used this bad boy, mainly bought it for my wedding a couple years back. Other than that it’s in great condition. Will sell it with the battery and the 32GB SD.
      Askig: $700