Anamorphic on medium format

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

well the Kowa 16-H is no benchmark. Kowa 8-Z is the better one.

I'd like to try an Aivascope Mk3. Maybe they will improve it. How much will it sell for?

For me there is not much affordable and modern that can beat the Bolex Moller 19 / 8 1.5x I got on eBay for £500. It's very sharp, nice coverage, you just have to make sure to pair it with the right spherical taking lens and front variable diopter.

I have the Iscorama pre-36, the 36, the 54, Centavision 2x in Iscorama 42 housing with single focus mechanism, LOMO square fronts, and Kowa-8Z and they are all superb compared to what I have seen from the modern stuff.

Baby Hypergonar is also a gem, with the right spherical behind it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Ah I was thinking of the 16-D!

Yes 16-H and 8z are the same.

Actually I now prefer the Bolex Moller for the smaller size to my old Kowa... but the Kowa 2x glass is right up there with the Iscorama.

I also prefer my Kowa-8s and isco-8s over the ELMOiis I have, small size and weight is definitely an advantage and I also feel I prefer the look (all those people paying top dollar now for Kowa16 scopes will surely disagree haha).

21 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

it's gigantic elements would cover most small lenses.

It's both a curse and a blessing.

A blessing, because it'll cover almost any lens possible.
A curse, since it's so big that you'd need a rig to properly mount it and most likely a FVD-35A (the biggest single focus diopter available right now).

Sure, you could scratch off the FVD (did I mention it weighs over 1 kg alone?), but then say hello to the excruciating pain of double focusing.

I've always wondered whether bigger rear elements at some point may have an adverse effect on IQ. For example say your scope's rear element is twice the size of your taking lens front element, would it act something like shooting a Full Frame lens on M43? Where you are only using a part of the image circle and glass, thus getting lower IQ? I'm not certain but I assume this is also similar to shooting longer focal lengths with adapters and why it doesn't look so great at a point.

From what I’ve seen of the Aivascope 1.75X out there, almost all the footage seems to be from the original version, and I will say although I never used that version, this MKII footage looks quite a bit cleaner. It appears at the very least that the coatings were changed to something with better performance. I suspect also either better QC, more precision in the housing, or both.

I will be shooting an in-depth review at some point, but all of my cameras are currently rented out indefinitely for one of my regular client’s live-streaming needs until virus restrictions change, which will be who knows when.

I don’t honestly know what it would cover FOV-wise in such a large sensor. On my BMPCC4K, it definitely clears 24mm, which is on par with the Kowa, and my Kowa won’t even manage that unless I use a massive variable diopter like the FVD-35. If I had a 22mm, I suspect it would cover with that as well, but some of that incremental focal length minutia gets deceptive with anamorphic adapters. There might be a taking lens that works well with it on medium format, but the diameter of the rear glass will be restrictive. There is certainly some measure of maths that can be done to get an idea of where to start, but in my experience, you can crunch numbers on crop factors, sensor sizes, equivalencies, aspect ratios, etc. backwards and forwards... at the end of the day, you need glass and camera in hand to test the setup for compatibility. It is likely that in theory, it works at or just eider than “normal” focal length (50mm FF equiv.,) regardless of the format. Outside of a handful of the highly sought after lenses, this is as wide as it gets for adapters 1.5X and above. The vast majority (Sankor, 16-D, Schneider, Moller, etc.) start at the long end, 58-85mm. 

The Aivascope 1.75X is, however, adequately sized to cover almost any lens I would get for my 16mm camera. I just need focus marks added to the Focuser-8 so I can use tape and nail proper focus reliably.

The production company I work for has purchased the new 1.5x Aivascope from the Facebook page. I honestly love it. It’s certainly not perfectly, but it’s given us the flexibility we need to shoot anamorphic without totally breaking the bank. It’s quite easy to use as well. 

In my tests, I’ve found that the taking lens often gives the characteristics I’m looking to achieve. I feel the Aivascope is quite clinical and sharp. If I put a modern stills lens behind it, the image will be exactly that. However, if I put our Contax Zeiss set behind it, it takes on a totally new look. We shot a few spots with the Aivascope, Contax taking lens, and the S1H. 

I believe we used the 50mm 1.4 for most, with the 85mm 1.4 and 35-70 3.4 for some pickup shots. We shot mostly at f2.8

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If I were to pair a Moller 8/19 with a gfx 100s in 4:3 out to an atomos, looking to get 2:1 aspect, what variable diopter would I need? Could I use any spherical lens over 100mm (35mm equivalent) as taking lens? Am I way off? Just spitballing here as I own none of this at the moment. 2:1 aspect as it’s good compromise for 16:9 screens and is used for some of my favorite shows lately.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:54 PM, wgphoto said:

If I were to pair a Moller 8/19 with a gfx 100s in 4:3 out to an atomos, looking to get 2:1 aspect, what variable diopter would I need? Could I use any spherical lens over 100mm (35mm equivalent) as taking lens? Am I way off? Just spitballing here as I own none of this at the moment. 2:1 aspect as it’s good compromise for 16:9 screens and is used for some of my favorite shows lately.

Sorry, looks like gfx doesn’t do open gate

• 4 months later...