SIRUI Anamorphic!

DanielVranic

42 minutes ago, heart0less said:

Not only that!

Some people dislike blue flares, whereas others would do everything (no kidding, even to the point of removing lens coatings) to get them.
To each their own.
(( :

I myself got rid of two anamorphic adapters only because:
1) they didn't flare enough,
2) and if they did show some occasional flare, it was ugly greenish.

Right now, I own a beautiful Schneider Cinelux that gives me amber/magentish streaks. ?

Sounds positively heretical selling anamorphic lenses. i like a blue flare, i have also seen an iscorama that flared orange/red. I'd be temped sell a kidney or redraw on the mortgage to get that one ? i have heard that eiki's give a purple flare i think. So far my acquisitions have been at the  lower tier of the price spectrum ? Amber /margenta sounds interesting may have to google Schneider Cinelux.

I  do have a bolex anamorphic on the way i have heard their a rebranded sankor,  it has fungus issues, so theres a good chance that is going to be operated on ghetto style.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, leslie said:

Amber /margenta sounds interesting may have to google Schneider Cinelux

What's even more interesting about them is the fact that they are placed on the lower tier of the price spectrum, just where both of us like to aim. ( :
Cineluxes aren't that popular (don't know why, to be honest), so it takes some time to find one in good condition.

1 minute ago, leslie said:

i have heard that eiki's give a purple flare i think.

There is just so many things one could know about all these adapters.. It's a deep, dark pit..

I tried to stay up-to-date for about a year, but then I realised it doesn't help my creativity in any way.
That's why I decided to keep it simple (one cheap scope) and be done with it.

( :

8 minutes ago, heart0less said:

What's even more interesting about them is the fact that they are placed on the lower tier of the price spectrum, just where both of us like to aim. ( :
Cineluxes aren't that popular (don't know why, to be honest), so it takes some time to find one in good condition.

There is just so many things one could know about all these adapters.. It's a deep, dark pit..

I tried to stay up-to-date for about a year, but then I realised it doesn't help my creativity in any way.

( :

is that the one with the focusing on the front with an allen key or something ?

i cant do a different car everyday but  i happen to think an anamorphic a day is doable ?

24 minutes ago, heart0less said:

( :

Anamorphic is a rabbit hole.They're all different. Some flares in pink/yellow/amber/purple/magenta/blue. It's hard to just stop at one. So I collect them. Put them in cheap housing (rapido ones) and use them accordingly to my daily's mood. You can pair them with different taking lenses, modern ones, vintage ones, and make odd combination that flares and looks very differently. It's a endless search for the perfect combination that - of course - doesn't exist. It's a called a hobby I guess. 

In a way, projector lenses are almost more fun than big cinema lenses that we use on set. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't put a few grand in just one of them and be done with the endless search for the perfect anamorphics, then I remember that cine lenses tend to flare in blue (Pana, kowa, lomo, cineovison, technovision, atlas, etc.) and I come back to my projector lenses.

To go back on topics, I just watched the Tom Antos video about Sirui. It looks really poor at least on the anamorphic side of things. It's sharp, indeed, but flares are too saturated and they're not even horizontal which could be the result of bad alignement. It also flares way too much, probably because while looking almost spherical on the bokeh and distortion sides of things. The Vazen 40mm looks a million times better. Too bad it doesn't cover S35, otherwise I would have taken the plunge already.  

2 hours ago, leslie said:

is that the one with the focusing on the front with an allen key or something ?

Yup, that's the one.

2 hours ago, Julien416 said:

Anamorphic is a rabbit hole.They're all different. Some flares in pink/yellow/amber/purple/magenta/blue. It's hard to just stop at one. So I collect them. Put them in cheap housing (rapido ones) and use them accordingly to my daily's mood. You can pair them with different taking lenses, modern ones, vintage ones, and make odd combination that flares and looks very differently. It's a endless search for the perfect combination that - of course - doesn't exist. It's a called a hobby I guess. 

Couldn't agree more.

• 1 year later...

There is now a SIRUI 24mm F2.8 1.33X Anamorphic Lens coming soon!

https://cf.sirui.com/lens/Anamorphic/sr24mm.html

image.thumb.png.bb4b66755056c1e08778c55f26439b12.png

I'll see how 2021 goes for me in terms of camera work / finances in general. But perhaps I'll get this 24mm, then the 50mm, and then finally fill out the middle gap in lens set with the 35mm somewhat later on. 

The blue flares dont do it for me, neither does the 1.3 stretch. I have been waiting for years for a new anamorphic player, but it just doesnt seem to happen.

I had a kowa bell and howell and slr magic anamorphot.  But I guess the next step up is huge pricewise to 10k for 1 atlas orion lens. Which is a lot of money + they are huge(but I guess all cinema anamorphics are)

19 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

The blue flares dont do it for me, neither does the 1.3 stretch. I have been waiting for years for a new anamorphic player, but it just doesnt seem to happen.

I had a kowa bell and howell and slr magic anamorphot.  But I guess the next step up is huge pricewise to 10k for 1 atlas orion lens. Which is a lot of money + they are huge(but I guess all cinema anamorphics are)

What about the Vazen ? Seems a step above the SIRUI 

23 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

I get what you mean. It's no vintage 2x anamorphic look with beautiful flares.

But, let's look at it another way. I recently received the lenses and they really surprised me. The build quality is outstanding. All metal. Smooth rings. Nice weight to it. Amazing.

Ok, you won't get the extreme oval bokeh that a 1.8x or 2x lens offers, but since you would use these lenses on 16:9 in stead of 4:3, the horizontal FOV is similar to using the lenses with the bigger stretch. You get a 33% increase in horizontal FOV. That's really what anamorphic is all about. Put a 50mm 1.8x on a 4:3 crop of the same sensor as a 50mm 1.33x on 16:9, and you end up with the same FOV. So no difference there. The horizontal flares are there. Ok they are blue. And the oval curved bokeh is there, especially on the sides of the frame. 

So while I get the critics of die hard 2x lovers, I think these lenses don't get the credits they deserve. They are very well built, handle nicely, single focus, plug and play kind of lenses. And when used on 16:9 you get a nice 1:2.37 ratio with a 33% increase in FOV for a given focal length including some anamorphic characteristics. 

Just saw a testvideo that really looks great.

47 minutes ago, Stab said:

But, let's look at it another way. I recently received the lenses and they really surprised me. The build quality is outstanding. All metal. Smooth rings. Nice weight to it. Amazing.

Are you going to do any mods to it? Like for the gear rings (is bonkers that Sirui doesn't include this! As after all this almost exclusively intended for cinematic usage). Or the 2x oval adapters. 

50 minutes ago, Stab said:

Ok, you won't get the extreme oval bokeh that a 1.8x or 2x lens offers, but since you would use these lenses on 16:9 in stead of 4:3, the horizontal FOV is similar to using the lenses with the bigger stretch. You get a 33% increase in horizontal FOV. That's really what anamorphic is all about. Put a 50mm 1.8x on a 4:3 crop of the same sensor as a 50mm 1.33x on 16:9, and you end up with the same FOV. So no difference there. The horizontal flares are there. Ok they are blue. And the oval curved bokeh is there, especially on the sides of the frame. 

So while I get the critics of die hard 2x lovers, I think these lenses don't get the credits they deserve. They are very well built, handle nicely, single focus, plug and play kind of lenses. And when used on 16:9 you get a nice 1:2.37 ratio with a 33% increase in FOV for a given focal length including some anamorphic characteristics. 

I think where these lenses will really shine is in more artistic/stylistic usage, like on music videos where you will deliberately mess around to play to its strengths(flaws). Backlight everything!

12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Are you going to do any mods to it? Like for the gear rings (is bonkers that Sirui doesn't include this! As after all this almost exclusively intended for cinematic usage). Or the 2x oval adapters. 

I think where these lenses will really shine is in more artistic/stylistic usage, like on music videos where you will deliberately mess around to play to its strengths(flaws). Backlight everything!

There are gear rings included with the 35mm. Not for the 50mm though.

I'm planning to shoot weddings with them next season (if there ever will be a wedding again, who knows). And I just finished writing a 20 page short film that I might make in the next months if I can find enough people who are enthusiastic about the script. And if the fekkin virus and the government let me... Really would like to work with the Sirui's on a real set and project. Which seems like not many people are doing yet.

I know that you can put an oval insert at the back of the lens, but that's apparently not so easy to do. I'm also not quite sure if I would like it. Yes, it would look more 'anamorphic' but I kind of like the 'in between' look that the Sirui 1.33x provides. Makes it more suitable for more types of shooting whereas 2x lenses look instantly more like a (vintage) Hollywood blockbuster.

Let's see how I feel about that after I used them on an actual project.