Sign in to follow this  
Mark Romero 2

So Is a7 III Still The Dynamic Range King? (Not tolling, just asking)

6 hours ago, Deadcode said:

This is a hard one.

If you overexpose those highlights, it's gone. Try to grade for the interior in this case

If you expose properly, then you can do the HDR style grade.

On you linked samples the guys probably shoot RAW photos in multiexposure using sliders, then stiched them together.

You can download your graded examples from here

And here are the screengrabs:

realestate_01.jpg

1552640605217_realestate_03.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at the examples and to grade them. I really appreciate that. They look good.

For the bottom example, did you just raise the shadows and add saturation? or was it more complex than that?

Also, thanks for the thoughts about the idea of them shooting stills on a timelapse and creating an HDR video from that. I thought they might have just used a programmed motorized slider in a couple of passes, and then masked in the windows. But shooting stills in a time lapse might be easier.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks for taking the time to look at the examples and to grade them. I really appreciate that. They look good.

For the bottom example, did you just raise the shadows and add saturation? or was it more complex than that?

Also, thanks for the thoughts about the idea of them shooting stills on a timelapse and creating an HDR video from that. I thought they might have just used a programmed motorized slider in a couple of passes, and then masked in the windows. But shooting stills in a time lapse might be easier.

It was more complex tone mapping. Shadows/Highlights, gamut mapping, contrast, saturation, curves, noise reduction...

On Thu Mar 07 2019 at 6:34 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

So in terms of hybrid cameras - and including the BMPCC4K even though it isn't a hybrid camera - is the a7 III still tops when it comes to dynamic range?

Purely dynamic range. Not colors, not ergonomics, not soul, not flame-proof-ness. Just DR.

Makes you wonder, which camera has the best "flame-proof-ness"??