Advice on eBay anamorphic lens listing (No advertising)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So I just joined the forum to find out people's thoughts on 2 lenses I purchased on ebay...

The first lens and it works like a charm, I plan to build a small rail system so I can mount it in front of my taking lens...it said for parts or not working but it seems to be fine when in combination with my GH2 and a cheap Pentax 50mm lens. I shot some video last night and altered it in premiere with no issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sankyoscope-Anamorphic-Lens-1-5X-Chizuka-OPT-8mm-Movie-Sankyo-Scope-/251299818570?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=k48abwd57llz0%252BrCIApAxaFKeSw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The second lens I purchased is clean but I don't know how to use it in conjunction with a GH2. Any idea what taking lens is used with the Schneider Projection Lenses in order to get the anamorphic horizontal stretch? I used the same lens (Pentax 50mm) but its just out of focus. What kind of taking lens might I need in order to get some type of result with this projection lens?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271165248039?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thanks for any help and please forgive my ignorance as I am a complete newbie to DSLR Video but I was completely taken and wanted to learn how to use a few of these lenses.

I am the seller of the first Iscorama 36 Mr. Coleman mentions in his post.  I have been on E Bay for many years and have a 100% rating for buying and selling.  I believe I replied to him that the second offer was a screw-up on my part when I was in my account--and it was.  I have seen scams on E Bay and I would never participate in one.  The lens I sold was exactly as described with excellent glass.  I put a reserve of $2000 which I thought was

fair considering the age and condition of the lens.  The final price was not at all what I expected.  I have also sold 2 Sankor anamorphics that went for considerably less.  I want everyone to understand this auction was NOT a

scam of any kind.  I value my integrity more than money.

Excellent forum, by the way.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply post...I appreciate your update on these lens sales as I had been tracking the bid history on these lens and the chain of events was very suspicious. Good to know the person behind these sales, especially when these lens are selling for sometimes 2X the amount that we have all seen on ebay.

Best,

Michael

The second lens I purchased is clean but I don't know how to use it in conjunction with a GH2. Any idea what taking lens is used with the Schneider Projection Lenses in order to get the anamorphic horizontal stretch? I used the same lens (Pentax 50mm) but its just out of focus. What kind of taking lens might I need in order to get some type of result with this projection lens?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271165248039?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Looks like the stock spherical lens provided with a Schneider anamorphic projection lens. No stretch here.

Looks like you got a steal on the Sankyoscope though.

Just a quick reminder to everyone to be particularly diligent on checking seller details on eBay - I've been tracking a fraudulent seller for 6 weeks now, and they include Isco and other anamorphics in the listings.  They've been hacking eBay accounts of highly rated sellers with very high positive feedback to lure in buyers.  Three easy things to check for:

• Do they provide an email address off eBay to contact them on?  Two I've been tracking are marhef.ebay@gmail.com and over4.ebay901@gmail.com
  • Is the email address displayed in a picture (ie you can't highlight/select the text, this is one method they use to hide from eBay fraud detection)
  • Look at their other items for sale, you'll see a distinct pattern (highly sought, often rare, listed for a low number but all asking the same high price in the description)

The first time I tracked this seller, I worked with eBay to remove 35 fraudulent listings totaling around $85k (most had bids registered).  The second time I found him (last week) he had listed over 170 items totaling $425k!!!

Be skeptical, ask around (and I'm still looking for an Isco 36 non-MC, very keen buyer here!)

Just a quick reminder to everyone to be particularly diligent on checking seller details on eBay - I've been tracking a fraudulent seller for 6 weeks now, and they include Isco and other anamorphics in the listings.  They've been hacking eBay accounts of highly rated sellers with very high positive feedback to lure in buyers.  Three easy things to check for:

• Do they provide an email address off eBay to contact them on?  Two I've been tracking are marhef.ebay@gmail.com and over4.ebay901@gmail.com
  • Is the email address displayed in a picture (ie you can't highlight/select the text, this is one method they use to hide from eBay fraud detection)
  • Look at their other items for sale, you'll see a distinct pattern (highly sought, often rare, listed for a low number but all asking the same high price in the description)

The first time I tracked this seller, I worked with eBay to remove 35 fraudulent listings totaling around $85k (most had bids registered).  The second time I found him (last week) he had listed over 170 items totaling $425k!!!

Be skeptical, ask around (and I'm still looking for an Isco 36 non-MC, very keen buyer here!)

marhef.ebay@gmail.com

Got me :(

s.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am planing to sell my Iscorama 36 and to be honest I will try to avoid ebay because there is to many hype about it.

No shortage of people who would be interested in such a lens, but you've got quite a bit of work to do before people will hand over a lot of money. eBay is useful simply because of buyer protection (when it works!), but firstly you need to prove you have the lens and it's in reasonable condition.  Start with:

• Detailed photos of the lens
  • A photo of you holding the lens, with perhaps a piece of paper with "EOSHD" and today's date on it (so we know you actually have the lens and the photo is current)
  • Some sample footage shot with the lens

I'm very interested if it says "1.5x - 36" on the front, perhaps start a new thread and post some images.  Good luck!

I'm having an email conversation with someone about buying an interesting piece of glass. Not on eBay.

He's suggesting http://lassped.com/ to ship it. The promise of the site sounds interesting:

Using our service is easy.The seller ships to the buyer after the exchange provider has the confirmed funds When the buyer gets and approves of the item, the exchange provider releases the funds If the item is never delivered, the buyer gets his money back If the buyer is not satisfied with the item, they may return it to the seller The seller gets the item back, the exchange provider returns the money to the buyer.

The website looks like a quick job though, not to professional. The domain is registered in China, I can't find any experience with this 'service' on Google. Their office locations don't look like offices (street view), can't find any refferences anywhere. Sounds like a big scam to me. I'm not gonna thrust my money with that.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi. I've read good things about the Schneider Kreuznach Cinemascope Anamorphic Lens with lens holder for 15mm rods available on eBay for £250.00 here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231054926273?redirect=mobile

So I'm thinking that this would be a good first step into Anamorphic.

My lenses are SLR Magic's 12mm 1.6, The Voightlander 35mm 0.95 and Nikon AIs 24, 35, and a 50 and a speed booster.

Is there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of with any, or all of these lenses.

Thanks in advance.

The Schneider lens is focused by turning the knurled thumb screw on the front of the lens this allows precise accurate focusing.

Read: you have to focus by turning some little thumb screws which will make using this a pain in the ass. 

Read: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1352-schneider-kreuznach-anamorphic-projector-lens/

BTW, Andy Lee is the seller of the lens you are linking.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. First time poster.

I found these two lenses in my local area, one on ebay, one on gumtree.

1. Moller Anamorphot 32/2x. Claims it's in excellent condition. He's asking $400 for it.

2. Proskar anamorphic 16/2x. Claims it's in mint condition, asking $195.

I'm a beginner when it comes to anamorphic lenses. This will be my first.

If someone could help me by answering the following I'd be most grateful.

-the characteristics of these two lenses.

-which is better?

-how much is a fair price?

Many thanks.

I shoot with 5D MarkIII

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I bit the bullet the other day on an adapter and I'm beginning to think I may have been a bit premature. 

This is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161294640323?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649  

I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me I haven't been a daft bugger and paid way over the odds (although I'm aware I'll have shafted myself by going down the Buy it Now route, but I'm alright with that.), but if I have in fact been a silly shite, I'd be a appreciative of having it pointed out to me! Cheers.