Bane voice

kaylee

Hey yall! ?

so, this is a real question for an actual thing im making

theres gonna be a masked character with a bane type of voice thats all distorted. the mask covers the lower half of his face – like bane. hes just walking around a set tho, not crashing a plane ?

my question is: if you were doing such a thing, would you record ~any~ audio of the actor's voice on set? seems like the whole thing should just be dubbed to me; he'll say his lines of course, so his face and the mask move, and his voice will completely added in post

is this what you would do, or...?

happy valentines day, all u guys are my valentines, tysm for helping me with tha filmmaking ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like its done from the mask 

I would guess that he actually says the words on set, then they have the voice actor do the final thing in a studio. I haven't looked into it, but it sounds modified by software some. 

UPDATE: I found this video from the creators (5:13), it says he did do it with the mask, then they had to make it understandable in post production.

https://soundworkscollection.com/post/darkknightrises

Based on this fighters voice & modified in post audio recording

I heard way back when the movie came out that Bane's voice was 100% dubbed.

However, I would definitely record audio on set, even if you plan to dub it all. First of all, you can give your actor nice recordings to listen to when dubbing. Second, you will probably want to process the dubbed audio to actually sound like it come from the real space, and the original recordings will be an excellent reference tool. Third, in the event that your actor is not available to dub and you can't find someone else suitable, you have a backup plan.

I might not go all out and be super picky about the sound. Like don't redo the perfect take because a car two miles away backfired during a line, but put some minimal effort into getting usable audio.

If you record sound on set then it'll be easier to sync ADR.

One consideration is that if you're going to have an actor talking through a bunch of effects, there might be certain things that the actor can do to make the processed dialogue more understandable or sound more menacing or whatever.  Ideally you would have the effects applied to the actors voice in real-time so they could hear themselves through it all and act appropriately, however real-time audio is tricky unless you're setup to do that.

More likely is that you get the actor in to do ADR, you record a take, apply the effects, listen to it, hear what works and what doesn't work, and re-record / apply effects / listen again, etc until the actor has learned how to speak so the end result is good.  

Of course you can just record normal ADR and then only apply the effects that work with that way of talking, and that will be more straight-forward, but it will be creatively more limiting.

37 minutes ago, kaylee said:

so let me put a fine point on this: do i need a mic inside the mask?

If you're going to ADR this actor and not going to use the on-set audio then the only things you need from on-set audio is for it to help with ADR, so as long as you can hear the actor then I wouldn't worry about it myself, unless I'm missing something..  @IronFilm ?

I've done ADR done a couple of different ways:

• where the mouth of the actor is visible and the aim is to get clean audio that looks natural
  • where the character is not a normal human and you can't see it's mouth

In the first instance the ADR took a long time to record to get a result that didn't seem separate to the visuals, and the actor just copying the line over and over again to get the timings down was really helped by being able to hear the original audio.  In this instance we ADR'd because the location was noisy.

In the second instance the character was a delusion (IIRC it was a human actor wearing a huge Easter Island head that fit over their head, shoulders and partly down their chest).  They didn't record on-set audio for this character (someone read the lines from off-screen) because the character stood perfectly still in frame.  The voice-over was a deep male voice and we recorded the lines without trying to match them to the footage because there was no timing to match.  We got a guy with a deep voice and recorded it through my 1" condenser mic and a valve pre-amp to make it sound as fat as possible.  Basically we did a bunch of takes for some variety and they just chose the take in editing that suited the edit best.

Your project seems like it is somewhere between these two extremes, so you've got some flexibility.

of no particular audio importance probably  just throwing some ideas out there you could try the local electronics mall for a darth vader voice thingy i have an idea they can be adjusted somewhat. i also have noticed some popular songs seem to have the vocals that turn into musical notes some how, no idea how its done. i remember a pink floyd song where the lead singer had some sort of wind pipe instrument taped to his mic which did some weird things to his voice as he sang. probably all abit extreme for your requirements but thats all i can offer. anyone one with some experience with those musical looping machines ? they do some interesting things as well. ironman... er  ironfilms should be your goto man here his knowledge should be vast

edit: by the way if your going to start wearing masks, i dont want to meet up with you in any dark alleys late at night ?

On 2/15/2019 at 10:36 AM, kaylee said:

my question is: if you were doing such a thing, would you record ~any~ audio of the actor's voice on set? seems like the whole thing should just be dubbed to me; he'll say his lines of course, so his face and the mask move, and his voice will completely added in post

Yes. I'd record it. With a lav on "Bane"

Will make the life of the picture editor and the ADR editor and the actor himself, much easier later on to have this reference point when it comes to such things as timing. 

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes. I'd record it. With a lav on "Bane"

Will make the life of the picture editor and the ADR editor and the actor himself, much easier later on to have this reference point when it comes to such things as timing. 

thank you IronFilm, i hear ya – do i need the lav tho? ill gladly do it, i have no idea lol

if his voice is pure adr and im just using the on set audio as reference, could i skip the lav, or no...? like use the camera audio as reference

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

thank you IronFilm, i hear ya – do i need the lav tho? ill gladly do it, i have no idea lol

Saves the boom op from having to swing over to catch "Bane's" voice

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

if his voice is pure adr and im just using the on set audio as reference, could i skip the lav, or no...? like use the camera audio as reference

Depends on how bad the camera audio is. What if you're doing a car shoot, or outdoors on a windy day

@IronFilm ahh yes of course, thank you. i shouldve mentioned that he'll just be walking around on a set where everything is fairly controlled

edit: im sorry, another thing (this has been taking shape over the last few days): the bane character is the only person talking, except for about three lines of dialogue from someone else which i could dub

i want a fairly wide shot, so theres not a lot of room for a boom op to stand... i wasnt planning on using one, thats part of my scheme, to keep this as easy as possible.

the shot is basically just bane character walking to the left, full body shot, as the camera pans with him and ppl move around in the background. this lasts about a minute. then someone comes in from offscreen, "invading" the shot, and hes immediately taken out by bane guy, and then the camera continues panning and the character returns to his monologue. at the end of his speech the camera dollys or zooms in to a CU as hes talking. thats it!

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Whatched the revenant tonight. Tom hardy's voice is close to bane's they didn't tricked it much

ha, interesting, i just watched the trailer and it was pretty badass overall...! looks like a solid film

yeah, his voice in Batman has so much character because the way he’s talking is just so WEIRD. There’s a TON of inflection, he’s being really dramatic vocally, almost absurdly so. But with the distortion, and the visually menacing persona, it works...!