Ronin-S or Ronin-M for C200

HockeyFan12

The Ronin-M is just so... big. Anyone tried either of these combinations out? For geurilla-style single operator work.

I'm shooting a spec ad now with a C200 handheld and I like the raw image (not crazy about the price or anything to do with the 8 bit options, which would be fine at half the price) but it could be steadier.

I can't fit a Ronin-M, C200, and lenses in a backpack. I'd like something I could fit in a backpack and balance quickly.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

This is a fairly comprehensive run through of setup and sample footage from it.

He gets some heat in the comments about the footage being in slow motion and not using a heavier lens so make sure you check out Parts 2 and 3 from his channel where he addresses both of those with more setup and footage.

My feeling from this and other videos is that it struggles without additional stabilisation, through at least using handles (which he adds in Part 3) or without an EasyRig or vest/arm combo that I've seen in some others.

It will work, but it will not balance 100%. That's ok because the Ronin S has powerful motors... so close enough will work fine. The overall weight is going to be an issue. For this reason I recommend picking up a glidecam vest and arm.  They make an accessory that can attach to the bottom of the Ronin S. With this setup,  weight becomes a non-issue. Granted,  this does add extra bulk. 

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Hell just use a Zenmuse X5R on a Osmo handle. Even has Raw. Crazy stuff.

Zenmuse X5R is no C200.

43 minutes ago, DBounce said:

It will work, but it will not balance 100%. That's ok because the Ronin S has powerful motors... so close enough will work fine. The overall weight is going to be an issue. For this reason I recommend picking up a glidecam vest and arm.  They make an accessory that can attach to the bottom of the Ronin S. With this setup,  weight becomes a non-issue. Granted,  this does add extra bulk. 

Zenmuse X5R is no C200.

Kind of gets away from the whole geurilla-style mindset. 

Might be worth investing in a small cam to fly on a gimbal, lots of options these days. 

Thanks everyone. The YouTube footage doesn't look very good to me, and that's too big a rig to carry around and looks hard to balance. I think I'll stick with handheld for shooting inserts and stuff. 

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Hell just use a Zenmuse X5R on a Osmo handle. Even has Raw. Crazy stuff.

That might be the best option for me. I'm not sure how good the autofocus is, but if it were more affordable and the autofocus were any good that would be pretty amazing. 

9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Kind of gets away from the whole geurilla-style mindset. 

Might be worth investing in a small cam to fly on a gimbal, lots of options these days. 

Yeah, agreed. For this project I'll just stick to handheld, and I agree the above rig is too unwieldy to be practical, but I don't think a Ronin- M (which seems to stabilize better) is quite portable enough.