Jump to content

Nikon Z RAW video support


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, nickname said:

there´s a video up now on youtube that has a brick wall.

 

 

 

before this i also hadn´t seen any aliasing...

Because it's not in Raw Pro RES footage.

There's another You Tube video and the Z6 user did this to the footage: " i set in fcpx noise reduction _ Sharpness _ medium".

Apparently from the comments people think "noise reduction and sharpness" is part of the work flow because it's RAW footage.

If aliasing was an issue it would be apparent in this video:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a 2500$ pro chart is the only way to see aliasing from this camera then I guess we're all ok haha

Also no one even talks about the use of “HDR Tools” which needs to be placed at the top level of the effects stack. It is necessary to correctly tone map the highlights of perceptually quantized foota

A monitor causes extra moire effects because of the pixel grid

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, nickname said:

there´s a video up now on youtube that has a brick wall.

before this i also hadn´t seen any aliasing...

This video, at the very beginning, shows aliasing color artifacts. It is claimed to be ProRes RAW. But the aliasing color artifacts could be from debayering color moiré due a lack of AA filter, of from pixel skipping in the RAW codec. It is hard to tell if not also the same footage was captured in N-Log.

BTW ... and to avoid any misunderstanding ...

I do NOT say "aliasing is an issue". I say Nikon aplies pixel skipping in their RAW data pipeline. As with debayering color moiré, I expect plenty of footage where its effects can't be noticed. I even remember the early days of the D800E (stills photography) where people claimed debayering color moiré would never be seen. It took a while. But today, it is pretty well understood when to expect, and not to expect, color moiré. Mostly in very fine farbrics of fashion at a single critical distance actually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falk Lumo said:

This video, at the very beginning, shows aliasing color artifacts. It is claimed to be ProRes RAW. But the aliasing color artifacts could be from debayering color moiré due a lack of AA filter, of from pixel skipping in the RAW codec. It is hard to tell if not also the same footage was captured in N-Log.

BTW ... and to avoid any misunderstanding ...

I do NOT say "aliasing is an issue". I say Nikon aplies pixel skipping in their RAW data pipeline. As with debayering color moiré, I expect plenty of footage where its effects can't be noticed. I even remember the early days of the D800E (stills photography) where people claimed debayering color moiré would never be seen. It took a while. But today, it is pretty well understood when to expect, and not to expect, color moiré. Mostly in very fine farbrics of fashion at a single critical distance actually.

The footage you commented on has added sharpening.

 <Please break down this footage>

 

I'm still waiting on a an answer about benchmark and professional test charts.  I provided a link.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This discussion looks similar to Sigma Fp topic regarding their raw DNG having some issues. Problems in downscaling 6K to 4K Raw? Very interesting. Still waiting for my Z6 to come back from Nikon. Will do some testing. Although I don't have a pro resolution chart at hand either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 11:11 PM, Zeng said:

This discussion looks similar to Sigma Fp topic regarding their raw DNG having some issues. Problems in downscaling 6K to 4K Raw? Very interesting. Still waiting for my Z6 to come back from Nikon. Will do some testing. Although I don't have a pro resolution chart at hand either.

If a 2500$ pro chart is the only way to see aliasing from this camera then I guess we're all ok haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

So we know the Z6 uses the Sony IMX410 sensor. (same as Sony A7-III) So, Nikon will be implementing the many readout modes it has, including the famous Sony 6k to 4k full pixel readout options. Now the Sony FX9 (possibly IMX310 sensor) will also have a 6k to 4k full pixel readout mode that delivers 4k "raw". Its unclear how "raw" this 6k to 4k scaling tecnique actually is.

1) The 6k RGGB scaled "separately" and saved in raw Bayered form?

2.)  Is the RGGB readout combined (deBayered) and then scaled to 4k and saved that way?

Where is the scaling process happening? And is it "really" raw is a scaling process is applied and its it similar to BlackMagic "raw".....that isn't truly "raw" after all?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I don't speak russian, but anyway, using the automatic subtitles translation from youtube and watching the video is all you need to know !

It's an amazing test and comparison of the H264 vs Prores HQ 10 bits vs Prores RAW. Using different setups and different tools as well as a very nice chart ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting conversation. Better that a bunch of people telling what they think about prores raw on Nikon Z6, at this point is all about getting the views on youtube.

 

Any idea when Nikon/Apple/Atomos will release the Raw to LOG conversion? 

 

BTW, I've been using your log profile and I can tell that you do get more dynamic range or at least you get more flexibility to play with it in post.

 

Thank you for that

Link to post
Share on other sites

The non-raw video formats are resampled from the original sensor data and 6K->4K conversion can be done by interpolation. This cannot be done for raw video because raw file stores images before the RGBG Bayer pattern is converted into RGB pixels. There is no straightforward way to convert

RGR

BGB

RGR

 

into 

RG

BG

covering the same subsection of the image. So they have to skip data. The alternative would be to do the Bayer interpolation and create a 6K RGB image and then downsample that to 4K RGB and finally re-Bayer it to come up with the final 4K RAW. In this case there would be no aliasing problems but it wouldn't really be RAW ie. original photosite data. 

 

Another option that Nikon could have done is to offer a 1.5x cropped raw video without interpolation. In this case it would have been RAW without line skipping.

 

There is no stupidity involved here, only different compromises to choose from. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ilkka Nissila said:

There is no stupidity involved here, only different compromises to choose from. 

@Ilkka NissilaWe know about the options involved. However, looking into all data rates involved, there was no technical reason for Nikon not to output 6k RAW. Like Atomos with their Ninja V is going to offer for Panasonic too. Its also described in my article  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2020, Jan 8, DPReview TV published a look at Z6 ProRes RAW with a big mention of line skipping and associated artifacts. They provide a demonstration of said artifacts in their video and a screenshots is provided by DPReview user Horshack:

i-gPXTcGj.jpg

The effect is clearly visible and you heard it here first ;)

Via: https://***URL removed***/videos/3407929115/dpreview-tv-prores-raw-on-the-nikon-z6

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good review / tutorial on how to use Prores Raw by french vloger Emmanuel Pampuri.


The video is in french but it's easy to follow his workflow in FCPX. It's acutally quite different, as he doesn't use the "sony s-log" "lut" in FCPX to get excellent results (starting at 14m08s).

Enjoy :)

Edit : Also Adobe should give an update on Prores raw support in the next couple of weeks #finally....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately no one is doing a proper workflow for HDR. Output to BT 2020 PQ in any form of HDR such as Dolby Vision. Dumping this exquisite footage into a Rec.709 timeline and exporting to 8bit SDR is a complete and utter waste of time. Export to 12 bit HDR or leave us alone.

How do you do this you export to Pro Res HQ which can incorporate 12 bits data to stream on YouTube or Vimeo. 

Understand 12 bit raw has 68 billion colours why oh why oh why are you playing with N-LOG  S-Log or any Log, when you have so many stops of dynamic range. Use Log with 10 bit Pro Res not Pro Res RAW.

Never use Log with Raw!

Understand the destination is Dolby Vision or at least HDR10. Not SDR!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also no one even talks about the use of “HDR Tools” which needs to be placed at the top level of the effects stack. It is necessary to correctly tone map the highlights of perceptually quantized footage that describes BT2020 PQ. F-stoppers and Wolfcrow and many others are describing Pro Res RAW workflows that are not correct for producing proper HDR such as Dolby Vision using the Z6 camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 2:22 PM, Ilkka Nissila said:

 

 

Another option that Nikon could have done is to offer a 1.5x cropped raw video without interpolation. In this case it would have been RAW without line skipping.

 

There is no stupidity involved here, only different compromises to choose from. 

On the Z 6 the 1.5x cropped option is available for HDMI RAW: UHD DX (as opposed to UHD FX). I have not seen any YouTube reviews that assess the image quality of that option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 9:51 PM, Falk Lumo said:

Cliff, maybe you should read my blog article first ;)

Why did you reach out to Marc Jungbluth to do test using a ZP chart on his iPad?  Give it a rest.  Marc Jungbluth has done more than anyone showing the correct Z6 - Pro Res RAW  workflow and showing real world footage.  It's clear Marc Jungbluth is uncomfortable do this test for you.

You have a weird vendetta against Nikon for some reason.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...