small and cheap DPAF camera

ignacy matuszewski

Hello,

It's been a while since i've last shot some video, i had C100 DAF and used it for commercial gags, but found out photography is quicker and more profitable.

I'm looking to build some simple rig to shoot architecture, real estate, industrial and some youtube stuff, as cheap as necessary, but without loosing too much on the quality, so i can roll without a must of going to rental house. Right now i have two 1DSIII with TS-E 17mm, 24mm, 90mm and EF 28-70L, 50/1.2L and 100L and 10-18IS laying somewhere. It's a great set for architectural photography, but not so good for filmmaking.

I'm planning to get Ronin S to have smooth footage, some basic Rode microphone and of course a camera that can shoot video. In terms of practical usage, what's the best camera to start a video business? For now i'm into SL2 or M50 with EF adapter. My goal is 1DC or 1DXII but first i need to make some money to make it a rational choice.

Thanks, Ignacy.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, jpleong said:

The Canon 80D is your best bet. The ergonomics and feature-set are better than either the SL2 or M50 for video production.

JP

I don't know about that. Most 80D footage I have seen looks more like 720p. It is a damn soft camera output wise to me. My son has one and we are not that impressed to be honest. Yeah it has the good CS, and the DPAF is nice, but sure body wise it is a better platform. But it is not a small camera.

But the M50 has 4K, and it is mirrorless, so you can use any lens on it. And a lot more stealth. It has to be in the running. With a speedbooster on it it is pretty interesting. I have not owned the M50. But from what i have seen it has a sharper 1080p than the 80D.

20 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't know about that. Most 80D footage I have seen looks more like 720p. It is a damn soft camera output wise to me. My son has one and we are not that impressed to be honest. Yeah it has the good CS, and the DPAF is nice, but sure body wise it is a better platform. But it is not a small camera.

But the M50 has 4K, and it is mirrorless, so you can use any lens on it. And a lot more stealth. It has to be in the running. With a speedbooster on it it is pretty interesting. I have not owned the M50. But from what i have seen it has a sharper 1080p than the 80D.

Well, it's a Canon DSLR so 1080p video is always going to look soft comparatively. For reference, I own the 5D4 and it is marginally sharper than the 80D in 1080p but I relegate it to a B-camera role or extreme low-light as the 80D is, ergonomically speaking, a better camera and the output is comparable. (And in the interest of full disclosure, I've already made the transition to Fuji so, for me, Canon video sharpness is not really something I feel a need to defend)

To the OP's ask: best camera for starting a video business. The most important things in video are: focus, composition, exposure, and audio.
All three have DPAF which, as of this posting, is still the greatest-of-all-time for autofocus (waaaaay better than Sony or Fuji) BUT the m50 loses DPAF in 4K mode.
Both the SL2 and M50 lack headphone jacks so there's no way to monitor audio -which is fine for a B-cam but the OP is still looking for an A-cam.
Both the SL2 and M50 are decidedly smaller and lighter than the 80D but that's not really an advantage if used on a gimbal with most of the OP's lenses (the exception being the 10-18mm STM) as they will all shift the center of gravity forward which makes balancing a pain. If we added some lighter primes into the mix (say, the 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2) that would make that less of a problem.

JP

46 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Didn't know it lacked a headphone jack. Too bad so many cameras are crippled by that.

Actually it is pretty amazing that Canon even put a mike jack in it to be honest. ?  Does anyone know if there is a way to show audio levels on the LCD screen to make up for a lack of a headphone jack?

34 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Actually it is pretty amazing that Canon even put a mike jack in it to be honest. ?  Does anyone know if there is a way to show audio levels on the LCD screen to make up for a lack of a headphone jack?

opps I was getting mixed up, thought they were talking about mic jack. You can always hook up a preamp or zoom h1 to your camera to get headphone monitoring. Its more bulk but an H1 is pretty small and there are a lot of compact preamps. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks you kindly for the responces, it's nice to see so many opinions.

I have one more question, i'm planning to get some decent camera for weddings and events i'm shooting occasionally and being able to shoot 50L and 24L that i've bought recently on a full frame body is quite tempting, it's better to grab 6D2 or 5DIV for the video usage?

5DIV is double the price of the 6D2, can handle flat profile (it might be helpful when cutting between this and cinema eos), but i'm wondering if it's that better. For photos both will be ok, but i don't know how about video. Reviews are saying both of them are rubbish, but is it really that bad?

53 minutes ago, ignacy matuszewski said:

Thanks you kindly for the responces, it's nice to see so many opinions.

I have one more question, i'm planning to get some decent camera for weddings and events i'm shooting occasionally and being able to shoot 50L and 24L that i've bought recently on a full frame body is quite tempting, it's better to grab 6D2 or 5DIV for the video usage?

5DIV is double the price of the 6D2, can handle flat profile (it might be helpful when cutting between this and cinema eos), but i'm wondering if it's that better. For photos both will be ok, but i don't know how about video. Reviews are saying both of them are rubbish, but is it really that bad?

Have you considered the EOS R? 

Just now, thebrothersthre3 said:

Have you considered the EOS R? 

For a while, but i can't stand EVF for shooting stills.

Had few of them (Samsung NX, Sony A7/A7s, Fuji xt-20/xpro1) and the style of shooting with the EVF was quite a bad experience. Shooting videos with EVF in C100 and C300 was nice, but for that price range i want to have a proper optical viewfinder.

Lots of good info here already.

One of the things that you have to understand is that you're in a situation that many here have found themselves in, being invested in the Canon ecosystem with lenses, and wanting to do great video while also enjoying the Canon colours and the great focus performance.  Canon offers great quality from their cinema cameras, but unfortunately, when it comes to video quality from their non-cine cameras they are a long way from the top.

Depending on what your expectations are, and what level of image quality you're willing to accept, there's really a few options:

• Stick with Canon and just be happy with the quality available
  • Switch to another system that offers better video quality and keeps reasonable autofocus abilities, but have to reinvest in another brand (eg, Sony)
  • Switch to another system that offers better video quality and keep using your lenses but sacrifice autofocus (and have to play with adapters etc)

It's really a situation where no manufacturer offers everything, and you have to pick two out of these three:

• great colours
  • great focusing
  • great video quality

You can also choose multiple brands of camera to keep your kit as flexible as possible (eg, have a camera that doesn't do great AF for interviews etc, but another with fast AF for gimbal work) but then you introduce the challenge of matching your cameras in post, assuming you used both cameras on a project, or want consistent colours between projects.

There's no wrong answers, and I'm sure you can run a successful video business with Canon quality video, but every time a new camera comes out many of us here get all excited because we're all still chasing a camera that can really perform across these three aspects.

Good luck :)

33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

kye nailed it. 

Basically if you want 4K and DPAF at once from Canon without hefty crop then you need to buy at least a C200

Many people are feeling locked into Canon, it might be worthwhile seriously considering if it is worthwhile jumping ship to Nikon/Fuji/Panasonic/etc instead

That's right i suppose, i had C100 with AF and it was brilliant, but i've made few business mistakes back in the days, GAS and overinvesting and while i had great IQ i couldn't afford to make a decent living from it. For now i don't need best of the best, just quite simple video camera that will get me IQ good enough for the web.

My main topics will be architecture, vlogs and music videos and every time i'll need some serious equipment i'll simply rent it, but it'd be simply nice to have some camera that i can shoot films with no budget.

I'm just wondering which of the cameras gives IQ similar to M50 from that full frame sensor. I don't care so much about 4K video, best images i've seen from movie camera was 2.5K from Arri, and good 1080p is enough for me. I've heard that EOS R is good 1080 camera, but isn't it simply 5D4 without OVF?

If you are already stuck within the Canon ecosystem with your lenses, and just want basic 1080 with DPAF, then why not buy a Canon C100 again? (they're cheap as chips now on eBay!)

Stick with that until C200/C300mk2 prices full down to earth, or Canon decides to finally finally give us a half decent stills camera for filming with. 

3 hours ago, ignacy matuszewski said:

I've heard that EOS R is good 1080 camera, but isn't it simply 5D4 without OVF?

Watch the video above. They share the same sensor but everything else is pretty much improved. 

Also keep in mind Canon will be announcing the EOS RP next week.

If the latest rumors are true, brand new 24MP sensor and video specs might even be better than EOS R.. for $1300.