New! EOSHD Z-LOG profile for internal recording on Nikon Z7 and Nikon DSLRs (D850, D5, D5600 and more)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Andrew,

This is really encouraging. Excellent work!

How does this work with an external recorder? Do your Z-Log profiles allow video to output at full 4:2:2 10-bit color depth over HDMI?

What (stock) control over sharpening do users have with in a 10-bit N-Log over HDMI scenario?

In order to create one's own profiles, is it a matter of using Nikon's Picture Control Utility 2?

I have a Z6 on order, so I'm immensely curious...

Thanks for your expertise!

• Administrators

Yes it does work with an external recorder as well. But the quality internally is so good with it, I wouldn't bother with one.

On the Z6 you already have N-LOG for HDMI.

This is more for internal recording when you don't want to bother with the hassle and wobbly HDMI cable.

Does Anybody have trouble with saving files into camera? I have Nikon D5300 with the latest firmware. I have done everything what is written in installation guide. I created NIKON folder, then CUSTOMPC subfolder and copied into it all 3 NP2 files. But my camera sees no files on memory card. So I can´t copy files into camera. Any suggestion what to do?

• Administrators

5 hours ago, Vrzalík said:

Does Anybody have trouble with saving files into camera? I have Nikon D5300 with the latest firmware. I have done everything what is written in installation guide. I created NIKON folder, then CUSTOMPC subfolder and copied into it all 3 NP2 files. But my camera sees no files on memory card. So I can´t copy files into camera. Any suggestion what to do?

Try renaming the NCP files as follows:

PICCON01.NCP

PICCON02.NCP

PICCON03.NCP

Hi,

I just bought your picture profile for my D850. After I read all the pretty good comment on your work for the Sony's dslr. I just run a couple of quick test with the different flavours of your "Z-Log" in comparaison of the Flat picture profile. 

Now i wonder what's the difference ? I mean where is the improvement ? I didn't see any increase in term of DR neither in term of color rendition (the flat PP was already great for that). I applied the same basic lut to my footage, exposed to the same value. Footage with skin tones (thanks to my girlfriend) mixed light source, shadows and highlight. I even noted that the Z-Log Cinema introduce a weird sat and end up less "cinematic" than the regular Flat PP. Maybe  i'm doing something wrong ?

But i would love to hear from you in your opinions what's best in your picture profile than in the regular one ? And even a comparaison with the N-log (for the Z's cameras)

• Administrators

It's the difference between Canon LOG and a flat profile.

With the flat profile, I find Nikon start the black level quite low and so the shadows get more compression. H.264 doesn't prioritise that area. With Z-LOG I start the black level a lot higher like Canon LOG does and also the colour gamut is different. Also there are two Z-LOG profiles - Cinema and "L". In Cinema mode the camera uses the best Nikon colour science there is, the basis of which is the Standard profile. I was able to get absolutely superb results from this, with minimal grading effort. In L mode it uses a colour gamut similar to Sony S-LOG and that makes it more compatible with existing LUTs.

Jacob - not sure what LUT you are using. You can't use the same LUT on Flat, Z-LOG Cinema and Z-LOG L as they all have different gamma curves and colour spaces. I'd be happy to see some of your tests but the original footage rather than the graded stuff. If you post graded stuff I don't know what you are doing to the file. Also it might be that the scene you shot of your girlfriend isn't challenging in terms of dynamic range so you won't see the advantage of Z-LOG over one of Nikon's built in profiles, especially in the blacks.

My experience with my own log profile on the d800 was that you want underexpose /protect highlights and denoise after. The log profile will hold your detail in the shadow and the under exposure will give you nice highlights. 

Afterwards, instead of applying a S curve, try to just darken below midtowns. This way everything looks natural/cinematic.

External recording will protect the noise more.

17 minutes ago, Vrzalík said:

Thanks for help! I renamed files but it didn't work. If anybody knows anything about this problem. I will be glad for any help. 

You could try View NX which comes with the picture style editor. You can import edit and export all picture styles.