Jump to content

New! EOSHD Z-LOG profile for internal recording on Nikon Z7 and Nikon DSLRs (D850, D5, D5600 and more)


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

I bought a z6 and z-log. I use GH5 and Sony A7iii mainly for video and they both have zebra with IRE value and exposure metering bar. So for Z-log, the zebra is 235. OK. I am just curious that does the Nikon video M mode have exposure metering bar? Because for most of time it do helps. And if not, are the histogram and zebra only tools for exposure helping? Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This is a bit rough---first time shooting in Reid's in-camera Z-log. But one thing I learned from this: Andrew's Z-Log provides a far superior dynamic range in-camera than Nikon's in-camera "flat" profile. Reid's Z-log holds plenty of detail in the lows, and protects the highlights very well. Even if you use or don't use the LUTS you come up with good quality clips---which I'm SURE anyone could grade better than I.

This video was shot entirely in Andrew's cinema Z-log and hand graded--no lut. All hand held using an EF to Z mount adapter with Rokinon 1.4 lenses.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2018 at 7:21 PM, wolf33d said:

Cool. Do you have any footage comparison with Flat profile (instead of standard)?

I've tested it, and even if you don't want to use the LUTs Reid's LOG gives lots more dynamic range than the so-called "flat" profile, for sure. Maybe not as much as the Log Nikon provides for 10 bit video, but much better in-camera than the flat profile.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2018 at 8:57 PM, lucashu said:

I bought a z6 and z-log. I use GH5 and Sony A7iii mainly for video and they both have zebra with IRE value and exposure metering bar. So for Z-log, the zebra is 235. OK. I am just curious that does the Nikon video M mode have exposure metering bar? Because for most of time it do helps. And if not, are the histogram and zebra only tools for exposure helping? Thanks 

Nikon has some glaring omissions in regard to exposure tools for us video shooters. That's the bad news. The good news is they should be easily put in a future firmware update. DEFINITELY need an exposure meter, ditch the histogram and install waveforms, and for heaven's sake, make it possible to use Zebras and Peaking simultaneously. Just those few things would make the camera much more usable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, michaelezra said:

I would like to setup color management in Davinci Resolve when using Z-Log L profile.

Instead of the LUT I would like to set the correct input color space.

What is the suitable input color space? I tried S-Gamut/S-Log (2),(3) and they don't work well.

Thanks!

 

 

image.png

its been over 1 month since I purchased the Z-Log profile and asked the question above.
Is there ANY support here?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Andrew Reid unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:39 PM, michaelezra said:

its been over 1 month since I purchased the Z-Log profile and asked the question above.
Is there ANY support here?

 

Considering that in order for that menu to support it you would need Blackmagic to implement it.

EDIT: Removed my response. Sorry for the harsh reaction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • Administrators
6 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

For those grading in ACES this Z-LOG L works wonders if you set the ACES input transform to one the following:

Canon C500 Daylight v1.1 DCI-P3+   
Canon C500 Tungsten v1.1 DCI-P3+  

The gamma curve seems to line up perfectly, creating great highlight rolloff and natural color.

Great stuff.

I used my C500 as a reference point when creating Z-LOG on my Z7.

The C500 is now sold but was a great image.

I'll keep my 1D C for a while longer. It really helps as a benchmark for Pro Color and all sorts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 10/16/2019 at 9:46 PM, Geoff CB said:

Considering that in order for that menu to support it you would need Blackmagic to implement it.

EDIT: Removed my response. Sorry for the harsh reaction. 

I assume that it's unlikely that NIkon Z-Log would become so popular that BMD would add it as a managed input colorspace. But it does seem like there is a fair amount of magic above and beyond a simple LUT... is that true? Is that magic so powerful that it's worth trying to find a managed input colorspace that's sort-of close? For example, I've played with using Nikon N-Log. If I then pull the Lift down to -0.06 and the gain to 0.65, things look reasonable. Maybe a bit too much saturation, and maybe a slight green tint. (I set Luminance Mapping and 350 nits for my couple-of-year-old MacBook Pro, and also turned on Saturation Mapping.)

But would I actually gain anything by doing this instead of just picking the simpler -- and more correct -- input LUT and being done? (I'm assuming I also lose some things with by using the wrong colospace, since you didn't model Z-Log to try to get the same results as N-Log, right? Actually, my "seems a bit too much saturation, and maybe a slight green tint" might just be the tip of the iceberg and there might be lots of add-on problems with using a "close enough" managed colorspace.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 1:34 PM, Vrzalík said:

Does Anybody have trouble with saving files into camera? I have Nikon D5300 with the latest firmware. I have done everything what is written in installation guide. I created NIKON folder, then CUSTOMPC subfolder and copied into it all 3 NP2 files. But my camera sees no files on memory card. So I can´t copy files into camera. Any suggestion what to do?

I have Nikon D750 and the same problem...  Have you (or anyone else) solved this problem maybe? All help is welcome 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

First try formatting the card.

Then create the NIKON / CUSTOMPC folders as per the guide.

They key bits in the guide are:

The .NP3 files are for the full frame mirrorless Nikon Z7/Z6
The .NP2 files are for D850/D750/D5500/D5600 and newer DSLRs
The .NCP files are for D800/D4S/D4/D600/D610/D5300 and older DSLRs

ONE SET ONLY (NP3 or NP2 or NCP depending on your model) must be within the CUSTOMPC folder on the memory card to be seen by the camera. Do not place the ZIP files here (only the individual NCP or NP2 or NP3 picture profile files are recognised). Please note: older NCP / NP2 profiles have to be named PICCON01.NCP, PICCON02.NCP, PICCON03.NCP for the camera to recognise them. Please do not rename the files.

Enter the main menus and navigate to MOVIE SHOOTING MENU*


Scroll down and select MANAGE PICTURE CONTROL


In this menu select LOAD/SAVE and then COPY TO CAMERA


EOSHD Z-LOG should appear on screen. Confirm selection with OK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

First try formatting the card.

Then create the NIKON / CUSTOMPC folders as per the guide.

They key bits in the guide are:

The .NP3 files are for the full frame mirrorless Nikon Z7/Z6
The .NP2 files are for D850/D750/D5500/D5600 and newer DSLRs
The .NCP files are for D800/D4S/D4/D600/D610/D5300 and older DSLRs

ONE SET ONLY (NP3 or NP2 or NCP depending on your model) must be within the CUSTOMPC folder on the memory card to be seen by the camera. Do not place the ZIP files here (only the individual NCP or NP2 or NP3 picture profile files are recognised). Please note: older NCP / NP2 profiles have to be named PICCON01.NCP, PICCON02.NCP, PICCON03.NCP for the camera to recognise them. Please do not rename the files.

Enter the main menus and navigate to MOVIE SHOOTING MENU*


Scroll down and select MANAGE PICTURE CONTROL


In this menu select LOAD/SAVE and then COPY TO CAMERA


EOSHD Z-LOG should appear on screen. Confirm selection with OK.

Thank you! It worked now, probably because of the formatting of the card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...
On 11/8/2018 at 8:11 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Yes it does work with an external recorder as well. But the quality internally is so good with it, I wouldn't bother with one.

On the Z6 you already have N-LOG for HDMI.

This is more for internal recording when you don't want to bother with the hassle and wobbly HDMI cable.

I have external recorder and n-log, but I dont like to use it bright conditions because of base ISO 800. So maybe I should use Z-log with my atomos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...