Best IBIS in the business?

kye

I shoot hand-held but don't like shake, as it doesn't suit the style of my films.  I'm looking for the best IBIS to pair with vintage manual lenses, so no dual-IS for me.

People raved about the IBIS in the GH5, but I've heard that Olympus have bettered that with the E-M1 Mark II?  If so, is that the best IBIS?

Basically, I want something as close to a gimbal as I can get in-body.  I'm open to digital stabilisation too, as long as it doesn't completely butcher the image quality.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, Oly's the best. Panny is not bad at all. I'd even use Fuji's X-H1 standard too, even though to follow GH5 and G85 (better than GX85 before the Gyros improvement). New GoPro HERO 7 Black version is also pretty useful at any rate from a small sensor sized. Or you still have the Stead XP route:

Users tend to say Sony's implementation is inferior. Aside the fact, compatible stabilized lenses can really help, IBIS is not ready for walking anyways:

57 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yes, Oly's the best. Panny is not bad at all. I'd even use Fuji's X-H1 standard too, even though to follow GH5 and G85 (better than GX85 before the Gyros improvement). New GoPro HERO 7 Black version is also pretty useful at any rate from a small sensor sized.

Or you still have the Stead XP route:

Users tend to say Sony's implementation is inferior. Aside the fact, compatible stabilized lenses can really help, IBIS is not ready for walking anyways:

After watching a couple of reviews of the E-M1 Mark II it doesn't look that good for video..  Max Yuryev certainly said to skip it.  

It looks like it's got the best IBIS but the other features are all sub-GH5.  The noisy audio pre-amps was surprising.

The E-M1 Mark II quotes 5.5EV and the GH5 quotes 5 stops, but it's also how far the sensor can move and tilt as well.

Is there a performance difference between the G85 and GH5 IBIS?

42 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This one rocks.

CT4qpSjWEAQngAl.jpg-large.jpeg

Think of the bill for foliage!  Although, the free manure would lower the fertiliser bill for the garden and partly offset running costs!!

My iPhone is pretty good, which may go to confirm that the larger the sensor, the tougher it is to make it respond quickly to camera movement. When the dust has settled it will be interesting to see who has done the best job with FF. Nikon is getting some plaudits, though they have left stabilisation out of the lenses; justified confidence?

1 hour ago, BasiliskFilm said:

My iPhone is pretty good, which may go to confirm that the larger the sensor, the tougher it is to make it respond quickly to camera movement. When the dust has settled it will be interesting to see who has done the best job with FF. Nikon is getting some plaudits, though they have left stabilisation out of the lenses; justified confidence?

iPhone uses OIS and digital stablisation. There's no IBIS for mobile phone sensors yet.

The reason why FF sensor IBIS doesn't work well compared to M43 is the mount diameter to sensor size ratio, if you look at FF mount, there isn't much space for the sensor to move around before vignetting. With M43 mount you get plenty of space and image circle for the sensor to move around.

16 hours ago, kye said:

I shoot hand-held but don't like shake, as it doesn't suit the style of my films.  I'm looking for the best IBIS to pair with vintage manual lenses, so no dual-IS for me.

We were discussing this in another thread recently, but if a person wants the "hand held look" without too much over the top "bad" shake, then they should seriously look into getting an EasyRig. That is how the pros do that motion look. 

14 hours ago, jonpais said:

Jamie McPherson is something of a genius when it comes to rigging up gimbals on vehicles (and elephants) for tracking shots on rough terrain. Check out this one of a polar bear starting at 0:48.

That was beautiful. When he said "a hunt only succeeds once every 20 times" it made me think, they might very well have filmed twenty of these polar beer hunts before finally getting this clip which made the edit!

5 hours ago, androidlad said:

iPhone uses OIS and digital stablisation. There's no IBIS for mobile phone sensors yet.

The reason why FF sensor IBIS doesn't work well compared to M43 is the mount diameter to sensor size ratio, if you look at FF mount, there isn't much space for the sensor to move around before vignetting. With M43 mount you get plenty of space and image circle for the sensor to move around.

This is true for Sony FE cameras. 

But the likes of Nikon Z mount should have the potential for a FF camera with IBIS just as good as Panasonic/Olympus.

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

We were discussing this in another thread recently, but if a person wants the "hand held look" without too much over the top "bad" shake, then they should seriously look into getting an EasyRig. That is how the pros do that motion look. 

Idk, Kye’s wife may leave him if he shows up to Christmas dinner, looking like a doofus with an easy rig contraption. 

He should definitely make his kids hold up color charts and slates though.

Just don’t yell “CUT” and give Aunt Esmeralda direction during Grace... he is the reason for the season afterall.

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Indeed we were!

It depends on the size of the rig you're willing to take.  For me, my tolerance doesn't go that far!  But in general, yes, that's the best approach.  I find that without an easyrig you're taking the full weight of the setup (plus your arms) and eventually that will result in shake from your arms, so an easyrig will help with that too.

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

Idk, Kye’s wife may leave him if he shows up to Christmas dinner, looking like a doofus with an easy rig contraption. 

He should definitely make his kids hold up color charts and slates though.

Just don’t yell “CUT” and give Aunt Esmeralda direction during Grace... he is the reason for the season afterall.

Dude, you crack me up!

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

I don't think it would take an easy rig to make me look like a doofus..  I'm well on my way already!!

Wife talked my into the GH5.  I read reviews that the Olympus had better IBIS but was sub-par on everything else, so GH5 it is.

10 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Hard to go wrong with GH5 IBIS. No you can't really casually walk with it or run. But for some slower controlled movements and doing tripod like shots without a tripod, its pretty darn good. 

I have the XC10 and the IS in it is good but not great and I can get the odd walking follow shot that works out because I've been working on my ninja walking techniques for a while now.

Mostly though it's me doing fake tripod shots, pans, or sideways/forward slider shots without moving my feet, so I'm all good with those and they're my bread and butter moves, so it should be great for that :)

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This is true for Sony FE cameras. 

But the likes of Nikon Z mount should have the potential for a FF camera with IBIS just as good as Panasonic/Olympus.

As we expected, due to the significantly increased diameter of Z mount, the IBIS performance of Z7 looks on par with GH5:

8 hours ago, androidlad said:

As we expected, due to the significantly increased diameter of Z mount, the IBIS performance of Z7 looks on par with GH5:

Impressive! Hopefully we'll see this in newer full frame cameras. 

On 10/8/2018 at 1:20 AM, jonpais said:

I haven’t used the feature myself, but IS Video Lock on the GH5 is supposed to really set it apart from the G85.

It's okay.  Depending on what you're shooting, a shooter often has to skip it though.  The algorithm will fail when high motion is present.  Panning or tilting is not a good idea.

That said, the GH5 under the standard IBIS will take the edge off of handheld shooting for sure.  It's actually kinda nice that it "floats" a bit.  Gives the frame some smoothness, but maintaining a nice kinetic energy.  

But the IBIS on my EM5II is still the best I've ever used.  With that and a little practice, one could easily emulate dolly shots handheld.

IBIS is not a gimbal though.  If you think you can get it to work that way, prepare to be disappointed.

5 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

It's okay.  Depending on what you're shooting, a shooter often has to skip it though.  The algorithm will fail when high motion is present.  Panning or tilting is not a good idea.

That said, the GH5 under the standard IBIS will take the edge off of handheld shooting for sure.  It's actually kinda nice that it "floats" a bit.  Gives the frame some smoothness, but maintaining a nice kinetic energy.  

But the IBIS on my EM5II is still the best I've ever used.  With that and a little practice, one could easily emulate dolly shots handheld.

IBIS is not a gimbal though.  If you think you can get it to work that way, prepare to be disappointed.

My understanding was that IS Video Lock was for when you wanted it to look as though the camera was on a tripod, so panning would definitely not be advisable.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

My understanding was that IS Video Lock was for when you wanted it to look as though the camera was on a tripod, so panning would definitely not be advisable.

That's right.  It's for static shots.  But static shots where the subject is stationary, like a building.  I tried it a few times on an interview where I was static,  but when the subject shifted their feet or leaned in their chair it created problems for the image.

If you're taking a shot of a mountain or something like that, it's kinda neat.  It's just not something I want, or need to, activate very often.