Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

@Kisaha I am not too familiar with the CN-E lineup, but is there one with constant t/2.8 since that is what thephoenix wants. Of course the price shouldn't be above what a photographic lens costs it seems ?
Personally, if I go for a zoom, I want very little focus breathing and a parfocal lens. Otherwise it's just a bag of slow primes. 

@thephoenix yes, I actually buy or rent equipment and test it myself. Not just once did my own experience vary from what was reported online. 

But it seems you realized, if you want a f/2.8 16-xx mm OIS lens, Fuji doesn't have one for you and doesn't seem interested in producing one. As for primes, I don't expect to see OIS in any of them, except macro and tele lenses. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

@thephoenix yes, I actually buy or rent equipment and test it myself. Not just once did my own experience vary from what was reported online. 

But it seems you realized, if you want a f/2.8 16-xx mm OIS lens, Fuji doesn't have one for you and doesn't seem interested in producing one. As for primes, I don't expect to see OIS in any of them, except macro and tele lenses. 

lucky you ;)

here in france try finding a kipon ef-fx to rent ? i don't even think anyone would know what it is ;)

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

MK lenses are excellent, but Canon offers the cheap CN-E with full auto (coupled with the admittedly excellent dual pixel AF) and a few stabilization options, plus in built power zoom and extra handle if anyone wishes.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889683-REG/Canon_CN_E15_5_47mm_T2_8_L_S_SP.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889684-REG/Canon_CN_E30_105mm_T2_8_L_S_SP.html

Neither of them have the same useful range that the Fujinon 18-55 has! (although I suppose you could try to argue it isn't too far off? Perhaps)

However, they're both much much much MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE!!! 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246187-REG/canon_1714c002_cn_e_18_80mm_t4_4_compact_servo.html

Waaaay slower! Over a stop slower. 

Not that it is a bad choice in a lens, it is very appealing for sure, but it won't cut it if a person wants T2.9

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Sony offers the ultra cheap 18-110mm 4f that we use a lot, even in popular TV series shot with the FS7ii.

Same problem. Big difference for some people between T2.9 and F4

57 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889683-REG/Canon_CN_E15_5_47mm_T2_8_L_S_SP.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889684-REG/Canon_CN_E30_105mm_T2_8_L_S_SP.html

Neither of them have the same useful range that the Fujinon 18-55 has! (although I suppose you could try to argue it isn't too far off? Perhaps)

However, they're both much much much MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE!!! 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246187-REG/canon_1714c002_cn_e_18_80mm_t4_4_compact_servo.html

Waaaay slower! Over a stop slower. 

Not that it is a bad choice in a lens, it is very appealing for sure, but it won't cut it if a person wants T2.9

Same problem. Big difference for some people between T2.9 and F4

I was referring to the 18-80/70-200.

The expensive CN-E lenses are a completely different league with other similarly priced lenses.

Real life is a lot different than specs. We use a lot of these lenses with C100mkii/C300mkii and FS5/FS7, I haven't even see an MK lens yet.

25 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

that's actually a great lens. For the 300$/400$ they charge for it as a kit lens, it's a bargain. But the requirement was constant f/2.8 so the 18-55mm seems no good. 

54 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Sure It has nothing to do with fuji af. Would probably need to use It manual  but It has stabilization and 2.8 

Might answer my needs for handheld  

Not sure if it matters to you, but the body corrects for CA, vignetting, and distortion when you use the Fuji lens. You won't have that with the 17-50.

2 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Not sure if it matters to you, but the body corrects for CA, vignetting, and distortion when you use the Fuji lens. You won't have that with the 17-50.

well in a perfect world i would like to have that but hey i have to compromise

i was looking for a lense that i can use handheld which means stabilized so no fuji for me as the 18-55 doesn't suits me because of its apertures of 4.

there is also the fact that i am not really ready to get expensive fuji lenses when i have other cameras such as the bmpcc4k on which i won't be able to use any of the fuji lenses because no adapter exist for X to m43

so i stick with canon mount which is far more versatile than fuji

of course i will have to use adapters.

maybe i will get a fuji lenses in the future but i have to see what i really need with this camera and start using more.

the 17-50 will be used with the bm too as af is not a subject when it comes to this camera

On 12/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, frontfocus said:

@Kisaha I am not too familiar with the CN-E lineup, but is there one with constant t/2.8 since that is what thephoenix wants. Of course the price shouldn't be above what a photographic lens costs it seems ?
Personally, if I go for a zoom, I want very little focus breathing and a parfocal lens. Otherwise it's just a bag of slow primes.

that is why you buy a cine lens.parfocal n no focus breathing, plus optimized for video.

4 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

that is why you buy a cine lens.parfocal n no focus breathing, plus optimized for video.

yeah. That's why I said that there is always the possibility of getting the MKX 18-55mm t/2.9 
Lovely lens, but people have different interests and I respect that thephoenix wants autofocus and stabilization.

1 hour ago, frontfocus said:

yeah. That's why I said that there is always the possibility of getting the MKX 18-55mm t/2.9 
Lovely lens, but people have different interests and I respect that thephoenix wants autofocus and stabilization.

Which the cheap Canon CN-E 18-80/70-200 and the Sony 18-110mm do have,  being also parfocal and have no focus breathing.

These lenses are huge selling points for they respected ecosystems (the cheap CN-E are so "succesful", that people put them on Sony, BM and Panasonic cameras).

X-T3 is amazing (in specs at least) but it lacks a lot of lenses that a modern videomaker (and I am talking video here) would find useful. It is just, so many people came from photography, or they are the 5DmkII generation, and focus breathing, parfocal-ness and motor zooms do not mean anything to them. They believe only in shallow depth of field.

The announced 16-80mm 4f could be interesting.