Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ki Rin

Will Sony IBIS ever be as good as m43 IBIS?

Recommended Posts

A question for those more technically knowledgeable than me, do you think sony ibis will be able to perform as well as m43 (gh5) in the near future? 
Is it a limitation of processing power, or an inherent limitation in the sensor mechanics itself?
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I would think right now it is the larger mass, weight of a FF sensor that is "holding" it back. But I doubt that will be true a few years from now, or maybe less. I don't think Sony is just gong to let it be as is. That ought to be an easy fix compared to designing a whole new type of Sensor. Maybe even the a7s mk III will be better? 

There is a limit as I stated in another thread. But I am sure even Olympus will gain a little bit more.

https://petapixel.com/2016/09/26/olympus-says-earths-rotation-limits-image-stabilization-6-5-stops-max/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I would think right now it is the larger mass, weight of a FF sensor that is "holding" it back. But I doubt that will be true a few years from now, or maybe less. I don't think Sony is just gong to let it be as is. That ought to be an easy fix compared to designing a whole new type of Sensor. Maybe even the a7s mk III will be better? 

There is a limit as I stated in another thread. But I am sure even Olympus will gain a little bit more.

https://petapixel.com/2016/09/26/olympus-says-earths-rotation-limits-image-stabilization-6-5-stops-max/

 

Actually larger mass should be able to stable much better than smaller mass, look how smooth Ronin is vs tiny Osmo.. no up down walking bounce for starter.

 

I think the small diameter of E-Mount is the key to blame, look at how much space can it move around vs M43 sensor inside their mount (like literally touching the border of the mount for E mount), hence I have a feeling Nikon Z mount will have good advantage here for IBIS.

 

I am waiting to see how Nikons mirrorless will offer, if it have good IBIS and video spec/quality is not too far off I will be ditching my A7III pretty soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the size/mass of the sensor is that limiting in itself, as it's still a very light assembly. Just would need a bit larger magnets than a m43 sensor... which would draw more power I guess.

I do agree that it's probably the mount diameter and body size that are the limiting factors. The body size can change, I can't see how Sony could do a new mount though.

I wonder if perhaps there's generally less "extra" image circle to utilize with most full-frame lens designs? I remember when the LS300 came out it and people started playing with the variable crop, many m4/3 lenses had a ton of "extra" image circle to use, with some even covering the whole s35/APS-C sensor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it has much to do with the mount size but simply that the smaller the sensor, the easier it is to stabilize.

M43 should always be a bit better than APSC and APSC better than FF and FF better than medium format ETC.

Still, it is getting pretty good.

From memory, my Pentax Q was seemingly better stabilized than my APSC Pentax cameras (the Q and the K100d both died because the stabilization stopped working I think).

More recent cameras are better than older ones.

I actually now prefer a non IBIS camera with good high ISO (IE my A7s) because I would tend to stress IBIS using a long lens like my old 300 2.8 and IBIS simply isn't needed as much for me with better high ISO.      I do have a couple of stabilized lenses though.

The other reason is I just get less worried when cleaning the sensor with a non IBIS camera (I just use a sensor swab from time to time but otherwise just use cotton tips gently to get rid of dust spots which I would not likely do with an IBIS camera).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, noone said:

I don't think it has much to do with the mount size but simply that the smaller the sensor, the easier it is to stabilize.

 

Look at this photo, how much space can sensor move around without being blocked by the mount?

 

 

ILCE7B.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Look at this photo, how much space can sensor move around without being blocked by the mount?

 

 

ILCE7B.png

The sensor is behind the mount.  And I agree with @noone. I can clean the heck out of my A7s also without much worry. I grew up with no IBIS, no stabilized nothing. So no big deal to me. I think people try to hard to make their stuff flawless. That was sort of the character of 8mm, 16mm film. Now I am not talking shooting like a Drunken Sailor LoL, but..

Picture of the Sony A7 mk II IBIS assembly. Not sure how they fit all of that in a A7 body! Link to the tear down of the camera.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/02/the-a7ii-teardown-a-look-inside-sonys-new-camera/

 

sensor-assembly.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Look at this photo, how much space can sensor move around without being blocked by the mount?

 

 

ILCE7B.png

But that doesn't affect how WELL it works, it MIGHT affect the edges for coverage (but I still am not sure).       It isn't that people say the centre of Sony IBIS images are as good as M43, it is that stabilization doesn't work as well.         If it WAS the mount, then I would think Sony images and video would be well stabilized in the centre and less so at the edges but that doesn't happen.    The sensor can still move around behind the mount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, noone said:

But that doesn't affect how WELL it works, it MIGHT affect the edges for coverage (but I still am not sure).       It isn't that people say the centre of Sony IBIS images are as good as M43, it is that stabilization doesn't work as well.         If it WAS the mount, then I would think Sony images and video would be well stabilized in the centre and less so at the edges but that doesn't happen.    The sensor can still move around behind the mount.

 

It can't move too much since the edge will be blocked by the lens mount, so that why it was limiting how much it can compensate for movement, of course it can move what ever behind the mount but it have to be within certain axis before the light aka image get blocked by the lens mount. 

 

Perfect example will be GH5 with Speedbooster XL and Sigma 18-35mm, doing slow movement you don't see vignetting, but any big action stuff you can see dark corners because sensor is moving bigger distance to compensate big movement, but that is over the image circle provided by Sigma lens. Similar thing to Sony's IBIS, the sensor movement distance is limited by that mount, it can't move big distance to compensate for big movement like walking for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ntblowz

The throat diameter of a lens mount usually has little to do with the size of the image circle from a lens.  Consider an 8"x10" view camera:

Toyo_View810GII_sm.jpg.89e5b3a13d8b7165c5c04d0dc8105232.jpg

That relatively small lens creates an image circle that fully covers the camera's 8"x10" film.  Not only that, but it has an even larger image circle than required for 8"x10", because the lens has to allow for tilt, swing and shifts.

 

In addition, the hole in the camera's lens board is even smaller than the front element of the lens.

 

So, even though the lens mount is a small fraction of the size of an 8"x10" sheet of film, the lens has no problem covering an area of significantly more than 8"x10".

 

The same principle applies to smaller formats.

 

In regards to larger sensors being easier to stabilize than smaller sensors that have less mass, that is a misguided assumption. The lower a sensor's mass, the less work required form the sensor stabilization actuators.

 

Such an IBIS scenario is differs from the general principle that heavier cameras are more stable.  With a simple heavier camera, the lens and sensor move together, so extra mass reduces overall jitter.  However, with IBIS, the sensor has to be moved relative to the lens to compensate for overall jitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

 

It can't move too much since the edge will be blocked by the lens mount, so that why it was limiting how much it can compensate for movement, of course it can move what ever behind the mount but it have to be within certain axis before the light aka image get blocked by the lens mount. 

 

Perfect example will be GH5 with Speedbooster XL and Sigma 18-35mm, doing slow movement you don't see vignetting, but any big action stuff you can see dark corners because sensor is moving bigger distance to compensate big movement, but that is over the image circle provided by Sigma lens. Similar thing to Sony's IBIS, the sensor movement distance is limited by that mount, it can't move big distance to compensate for big movement like walking for example.

The sensor is not blocked by the lens mount for movement.       If it moves too much it might be "blocked" for vignetting but there is room under the mount and above the sensor at least in the cameras I have seen.      There may only be a small (in terms of height) space but it is certainly big enough to allow the sensor to move.

If you use an APS camera, or any of the IBIS FF Sony's in crop mode there is little vignetting too (and even Canon APSC lenses made for 1.6x sensors cover FF from around 24mm and up on FF E mount).

There are different types of IBIS.     Pentax uses a different method to most for instance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tupp said:

@ntblowz

The throat diameter of a lens mount usually has little to do with the size of the image circle from a lens.  Consider an 8"x10" view camera:

Toyo_View810GII_sm.jpg.89e5b3a13d8b7165c5c04d0dc8105232.jpg

That relatively small lens creates an image circle that fully covers the camera's 8"x10" film.  Not only that, but it has an even larger image circle than required for 8"x10", because the lens has to allow for tilt, swing and shifts.

When it comes to the mount blocking the sensor it's obvious that the flange distance is crucial. It shouldn't be necessary to point out that scenario is completely different for a 100mm flange distance and the e-mount's 18mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

When it comes to the mount blocking the sensor it's obvious that the flange distance is crucial. It shouldn't be necessary to point out that scenario is completely different for a 100mm flange distance and the e-mount's 18mm.

To get to the point at which the throat diameter might "block" the sensor on full frame, the flange distance has to be significantly shallower and the throat diameter has to be smaller than those of an E-mount.  It's not even close (so to speak) in this case, as full frame requires a 43.27mm image circle and the throat diameter of an E-mount is 46.1mm.

 

With the E-mount, there's plenty of room for IBIS and even for tilt/shift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a couple of tele lenses (300 2.8 and 350 4.5 and including with 1.4 and 2x converters) and I use a tilt shift lens and they all work fine though my Sony isn't an IBIS one, I have used enough IBIS cameras from various companies to think it wouldn't be an issue for me anyway.     It just wouldn't work quite as well as the better M43 cameras (my last M43 camera had IBIS but wasn't the best- GX7).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...