DaVinci Resolve 14 released!

buggz

On 9.9.2017 at 0:00 PM, sondreg said:

Anyone know how transferring the license works now without the dongle? I.e. can you still install it on two machines - but this time without the dongle? 

Did some reading up on this and gathered (and im not sure if this is 100% true) that if you purchase the App store version you can install it on as many APPLE computers using the same app store ID, but it's not cross platform. Can anyone confirm that you need two licenses if you want to switch between a laptop & windows computer?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Moshimo Garcia said:

For someone who is going to be dropping their Creative Cloud subscription soon, what do you guys suggest at this point: Resolve or FCP X? 

I recently made that move, but still haven't settled on just one. I do most of my edits on FCPX and move to Resolve only for fancy coloring. 

FCPX offers great editing experience if you own a mac. Easy, fast & fluid. Thats it. Color grading is a joke unless you spend another $100 on plugins. Resolve shines in color grading, and it is free if the limitations don't affect you. 

If you mostly do editing and only occasionally grade, then FCPX is a good solution. Even more so if you edit on a macbook pro and you don't have an eGPU.

On the other hand if you want to do some serious color grading then Resolve, no question about it. 

I would say start with the free version of Resolve and stick with it for few weeks. Once you are familiar with it, try the trial version of FCPX and you will be at a good place to decide what fits your needs before you spend your dimes. 

Has anyone here performed an upgrade from Studio 12.5 to 14 ?

I'm hesitant, as my only windoze box is on win7 pro, mainly for Photoshop CS6, I still like that workflow for still, and I have waaay too many purchased filters, scripts, actiosn, etc.

I will never use win10.

Guess it's time to build yet another Linux box....

buggz: "Guess it's time to build yet another Linux box...."

Yes, my old workstation runs Win 7 and I'm not that keen on continuing with Win 10 for a new machine. I've been using Linux on my other DIY computers for several years, but not for video use. I think GIMP and Krita (together) might be a viable alternative for my Photoshop use, but is the free Resolve on Linux an alternative to After Effects and Premiere? Last time I looked into it I thought there were some serious limitations on export options (for example, no H.264 ?), and do you need a specific distro for it to run on (I like using Mint). Have dipped into Kdenlive over the years: it has been getting better but I never felt really at home with it, probably just lack of familiarity -- anyone else on here using it seriously? I think with a viable alternative to Photoshop, Premiere and After effects, I would be much more confident in finally going over to Linux full time. 

On 11.9.2017 at 8:43 PM, Moshimo Garcia said:

For someone who is going to be dropping their Creative Cloud subscription soon, what do you guys suggest at this point: Resolve or FCP X? 

We are all comparing apples with oranges. As PS and AAE subscriber, I can test a new Premiere version for 7 days, and I did. Last year I made the double mistake to import 4k XAVC using cmd + i, and the performance was ridiculously poor. This year, I hastily tested just three things, and all seemed to work flawlessly:

> I imported a 20 minute timeline from FCP using XtoCC (a little tool that modifies the XML so that as many things get translated as possible, it's also frequently updated). Played back well.

> I tried the proxy workflow from a camera card using ProRes Proxy as proxy codec and activating proxy in preferences. A breeze.

> I imported CDNG files from the Pocket using the Media Browser and right-clicking import. Appeared instantly as regular clips. Don't know though if they are actually read as RAW, if Lumetri interprets them correctly.

I admit that these are no exhausting tests, but the first impressions (two afternoons spent with Premiere) somewhat corrected my view. 

OPINION:

1. 30% of all complaints about performance and stability have to do with the configuration of my system, and if the software in question is optimized for it.

2. 30% of all complaints about performance and stability have to do with the user not RTFM.

3. 30% of all complaints about performance and stability have to do with using original, highly compressed UHD media for editing.

4. 10% of all complaints about performance and stability have to do with the software being crap.

For point 1, FCP seems to be the winner from the start, but Resolve has done some serious optimization for MacOS. Point 3 is valid for all three competitors. Adobe always bragged about being able to work with the native media. As a matter of fact, UHD needs four times the horsepower than HD, and imho it's simply silly to quadruple your system specs just to be able to keep up. These codecs are not meant to be edited, and proxy historically is a pro solution to edit. Furthermore, as it seems, Premiere has the best proxy workflow now (transcoding runs in the background with AME, it's reasonably fast, and you can start editing in the original codec without being forced to toggle like in FCP or having to wait until the foreground process is done like in Resolve). FCP's strength is optimization through optimized media (ProRes) which not only runs unnoticed in the background but is also the fastest of them all. But just for the sake of proving point 3 to be universal, try to delete all generated media (or how it's called precisely) in the midst of a long UHD project, and you will see how much remains of the often-praised superior performance and stability.

Now, for anybody seriously considering to jump ship, you better evaluate by checking these factors.

Been using the new update for my last few projects now - been pretty happy about the editing process, coming from premiere! Except I'm pretty unimpressed the fairlight panel (using the free version)

Splitting stereo tracks into mono are a nightmare, unless you do it before placing them in a timeline  (on multiple clips at a time). Maybe there is a really easy way to do this? If so please tell me...

Also don't like the Fairlight ui layout much at all, I'm not sure why they made the mixer so minimalistic. Double clicking the pan box to find the pan-pot seems a little intuitive on stereo channels. Keeping track of auxes and buses is also difficult considering they are just small tiny lines of color that are hard to click on. 

But what I like the least is that the effects panel are not organized! I use a bunch of plugins from Waves but they all fall in one main category "Audio FX". Hitting the +Effects tab on a mixer track fills the entire screen.

Tried to mix some music in it aswell, importing an older multitrack project, didn't find a way to place it in a timeline on different tracks.

It's also strange that the audio panel is the only one where you can undock the video and put it on a second display without using external hardware. 

Can someone tell me if the paid version improves the Fairlight panel?

Hi I have the paid full version of Resolve 14, but I'm a newbie, how does one go about composing a time lapse in Davinci Resolve?..can this be done?..if yes...is this explained in the Manual? what page? I have a Gh5 and I'm thinking of using the Syrp  mini for moving time lapse..but that doesn't allow the GH5 to make the internal Time Lapse movie so I have to do that somewhere else..i was thinking with Davinci Resolve?...

42 minutes ago, Jose Bonet said:

Hi I have the paid full version of Resolve 14, but I'm a newbie, how does one go about composing a time lapse in Davinci Resolve?..can this be done?..if yes...is this explained in the Manual? what page? I have a Gh5 and I'm thinking of using the Syrp  mini for moving time lapse..but that doesn't allow the GH5 to make the internal Time Lapse movie so I have to do that somewhere else..i was thinking with Davinci Resolve?...

Page 185.

In future you can download the pdf manual and do a word search. I searched for image sequence, Which is what I believe you'll need.