Camera stores disappearing

Andrew Reid

I dunno,     I see some ex pros downsizing and at first it was to some of the better point and shoot cameras (or rather better fixed lens cameras) but more recently to mobile phones.

The thing is that for many uses, some phone are "good enough" now.

I have not had a mobile for a while now (it was liberating to let them go) but now I have been locked out of Instagram (they helpfully want to send me a text to know it IS me) so have to buy a new one today- will be the cheapest nastiest one I can find and maybe even a dumb one but I bet it will have a camera and I bet it will be at least as good as the two or three point and shoots I have lying around here somewhere.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 13.7.2017 at 7:51 AM, Mattias Burling said:

I know big popular reviewers aren't very liked by many here (I like them). But Steve did touch base on alot of what we are talking about in this thread.

And I definitely agree with the "buy with your heart" philosophy.

Steve has done some of the most beautiful writing on cameras, I had a chance to come across when surfing the web back then.

His GF1 article was dope. His GF1 and Oly Pen comparision, his Panny 20mm1.7 vs Nikon nifty fifty comparision- beautiful reads.

Always loved the guy and some of his awesome contributors. He has done plenty to me to inject the sparkle of joy into me.

Nowadays I don´t visit his site on a daily basis anymore, because Eoshd and video has been taken over:) Just recently I had a beautiful

read of one of his friend-contributors about Rollei 35mm cameras. Always good to appreciate the people with heart and passion and

their content and their awesome achievements and contributions. Thank you, Steve Huff.

On 13.7.2017 at 8:38 AM, Arikhan said:

@Mattias Burling

There is a lot of envy and hate today out there. Most pixel whores and armchair experts simply don't honor others people WORK. Filming / photographing is not only fun, it's some work too. And most people working quite hard (as many SERIOUS reviewers/filmers/photographers do) get rewarded: personal satisfaction, public appreciation, financial compensation, etc. Bored pixel peepers don't like others people success, because - in fact - they hate themselves for just hanging around and/or acting completely useless....

We don't have to agree with all the conclusions or methodology of every reviewer, but we should respect his/her efforts and work, considering that most of them offer us considerable informations FOR FREE...

Awesome write up, Arikhan! Beautiful words! You are still a youngster? Great contribution, thank you!

• Super Members

I don't mind Steve Huff's site.

Might not always agree with him or particularly rate a lot of the contributor content at times but I never get the feeling he's phoning it in even though I imagine trying to keep the site going is no picnic.

He's wrote an interesting piece this week about cameras reaching a bit of a plateau that chimes with some threads on here too. Good enough really is now more than good enough and the rest is just nuance.

From that perspective, which I agree with as nothing for example is going to floor me like the D3 did for example as a leap forward, it might suit the bricks and mortar places more as expertise will be valued more than bells, whistles and how cheap you can get them.

On 7/13/2017 at 7:03 AM, tugela said:

Computers are in much the same boat. With every generation the improvements are less and less compelling, which means the effective life of the hardware you own is extended.

Yup, a high end gaming PC from a few years ago is still relevant and quite capable today.

Same is true of DSLRs, the Nikon D800 is a rather damn old camera, yet is still one of the better cameras you can buy today! (same could be said about the D7100 as well)

That is the stills world, but still got some way to go with video cameras however. But look at the Sony FS7 mk1? It is a bit old ish now, but I reckon if you picked up one secondhand now it would still stay relevant for a few more years!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Its interesting to read @cantsin and @Cinegain view on the deteriorating situation in Holland as I'd come back to this thread to say that the place I've found to be bucking the trend while I've been on this assignment here for the past three weeks was, erm, Holland!

In smaller places like Tilburg and Breda that I've been working, I was surprised to find that both had two very well stocked stores as well as MediaMarkts with decent selections. The camera stores also had a good selection of accessories like sliders and cages and lens adaptors too.

The point being I suppose is that it if this is Holland in a decline then it puts into perspective just how bad its become in the UK because these stores had as broad a range of product on display as you'd find in central London.

A couple of things about Holland that puzzle me though if you can help me guys, is 

1) What is the deal with the number of Tesla S cars? Are they heavily subsidised or something because they are absolutely everywhere. I thought I was seeing things when I saw they were used as taxis!

2) How can one quick squirt of sauce on the top layer of a cone of frites penetrate the rest of them? If I did that with an English cone of chips it would only cover the exposed ones yet your places manage to make it coat every one of them in the cone. It seems to be the reverse of what you are able to do with reclaiming the land from the sea.

34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

1) What is the deal with the number of Tesla S cars? Are they heavily subsidised or something because they are absolutely everywhere. I thought I was seeing things when I saw they were used as taxis!

2) How can one quick squirt of sauce on the top layer of a cone of frites penetrate the rest of them? If I did that with an English cone of chips it would only cover the exposed ones yet your places manage to make it coat every one of them in the cone. It seems to be the reverse of what you are able to do with reclaiming the land from the sea.

1) There's a Tesla showroom near Schipol, so I guess there's some kind of deal with taxi companies based around there. As for private owners - there's no road tax, minimal maintenance and also the Dutch just love green energy. I think as of last year all trains are run 100% on wind power! I'm not sure if they're subsidised, but you're right, there certainly are a lot of Teslas driving around.

2) Since most of Holland is below sea level the gravity is obviously different to most other places. This I believe is why the sauce can get down to the bottom of the cone. Incidentally, I also believe that's why the Dutch are so tall. If you measure from sea level, the heads are the same height as everyone else - it's just their feet are a foot or two lower down.

As for the camera stores thing. There's tonnes of fantastic shops in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Den Haag - the 3 'big' cities - But in my town, there's only one good one left and a couple of independents, which are basically just second hand lens stores. Good for a look around, but you can't go in wanting anything specific. Media Markt are good with their selection and competitively priced too. (and open to price matching online stores)

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

1)  I think as of last year all trains are run 100% on wind power

That answers what was going to be my next question about what I've just seen out of my hotel window then.

ffestiniog 4a.jpg

6 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

2) Since most of Holland is below sea level the gravity is obviously different to most other places. This I believe is why the sauce can get down to the bottom of the cone. Incidentally, I also believe that's why the Dutch are so tall. If you measure from sea level, the heads are the same height as everyone else - it's just their feet are a foot or two lower down.

Thats as reasonable an explanation as I've been able to come up with.

I had pondered whether they seem taller because the bikes are taller though as well. No, seriously.