Jump to content
dbp

How do you afford your gear?

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Anything new would depreciate somewhat over two years. You want to find yourself a really good deal, or buy secondhand. 

I'd be fascinated to hear more about this Arri Alexa Classic for $12K, as I've been posting quite often pointing out they exist!!

Could you convince him to come on over to here and start a new thread about his purchase? That would be AMAZING! 

I wiill ask him for sure.

A new Alexa would depreciate but its far cheaper than renting. Also after 2 yrs there would still be a competitive market for used 2017 Alexas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

You need that either way though...makes no difference how you pay for your gear. Also, there are cheap options out there for insurance that cover gear like that.  

Right but what I'm saying is that there's a cost in ownership and that it isn't necessarily the best idea for anyone to go get a 0% interest CC and max it out with camera gear planning to sell it just before the term expires. Even with insurance you can still be screwed over.

Used $30k Maseratis also look nice but can you afford to maintain a $120k car? If not, then it's not a smart idea to buy one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silvertonesx24 said:

Right but what I'm saying is that there's a cost in ownership and that it isn't necessarily the best idea for anyone to go get a 0% interest CC and max it out with camera gear planning to sell it just before the term expires. Even with insurance you can still be screwed over.

Used $30k Maseratis also look nice but can you afford to maintain a $120k car? If not, then it's not a smart idea to buy one.

Well there's always risk involved...but like I said, we have done this for years and the worst thing to happen is we lose a couple grand in value.  It makes much more sense from a numbers standpoint if you're an owner/op.  Renting only ever makes sense if your client is paying for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Well there's always risk involved...but like I said, we have done this for years and the worst thing to happen is we lose a couple grand in value.  It makes much more sense from a numbers standpoint if you're an owner/op.  Renting only ever makes sense if your client is paying for it.

I think the more interesting question is... did you get an Alexa Mini?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

I think the more interesting question is... did you get an Alexa Mini?

No, RED Epic W.  We got a Battle Tested Scarlet Dragon for $11,500 direct from RED.  Then they gave us $15,000 in credit towards the Epic W upgrade about 2 months later :)

The 8K has opened up some financial doors, so we have been pretty happy with that move.  Trying to sell it now though...then start the cycle over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

No, RED Epic W.  We got a Battle Tested Scarlet Dragon for $11,500 direct from RED.  Then they gave us $15,000 in credit towards the Epic W upgrade about 2 months later :)

The 8K has opened up some financial doors, so we have been pretty happy with that move.  Trying to sell it now though...then start the cycle over again.

Why are you selling the Epic-W? Is the GH5 experience that significant? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

No, RED Epic W.  We got a Battle Tested Scarlet Dragon for $11,500 direct from RED.  Then they gave us $15,000 in credit towards the Epic W upgrade about 2 months later :)

The 8K has opened up some financial doors, so we have been pretty happy with that move.  Trying to sell it now though...then start the cycle over again.

Pretty smart if you can make it work. I assume you can just finance another Epic and then constantly use newer equipment without using a major upfront investment. I imagine if you shoot with the Epic, the GH5 sees little use these days? What's the upgrade path after an Epic... could you be sustainable and profitable with an Alexa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Because the sky high APR kicks in October 1st :)

Having a hard date to sell items happen over and over would be too scary for me.....   and it might force you to sell it for less than you'd like to sell it for! As you can't hold and wait for a better offer to come along :-/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Having a hard date to sell items happen over and over would be too scary for me.....   and it might force you to sell it for less than you'd like to sell it for! As you can't hold and wait for a better offer to come along :-/ 

I get it up for sale earlier and give myself at least 5 months.  

15 hours ago, mercer said:

Pretty smart if you can make it work. I assume you can just finance another Epic and then constantly use newer equipment without using a major upfront investment. I imagine if you shoot with the Epic, the GH5 sees little use these days? What's the upgrade path after an Epic... could you be sustainable and profitable with an Alexa?

Yup, find another no interest card, close the current one and do it again.  I actually use the GH5 as much as I can.  It's more than enough for my own personal tastes and I always prefer the smaller form factor.

The trick for doing this with an Alexa would be finding somewhere that takes credit card for a used camera.  If you could, the same system should work (maybe even better with an Alexa since they hold value more/longer than RED)

Lenses are the most sure fire bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...