Sony Cameras - Analysis Paralysis

BTM_Pix

53 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

There seems to be a viable hack for all Sony cameras that support the Sony Play Memories system to enable unlimited record time.

Sounds like it should come with a free fire extinguisher.

Oh that would be sweet.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@BTM_Pix I think the answer is, most have never shot video with these cameras. Same with the higher end models: one man I know here who owns a Sony a7r II, he's never shot video with it,  and a buddy of mine here who's got the X-T2, has never shot a second of video. I seldom come across any casual shooters who are even remotely interested in shooting video.

• Super Members
7 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Oh that would be sweet.

This is for the A6500 but its applicable for all cameras that use Play Memories so will work on RX10/RX100

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

@BTM_Pix I think the answer is, most have never shot video with these cameras. Same with the higher end models: one man I know here who owns a Sony a7r II, he's never shot video with it,  and a buddy of mine here who's got the X-T2, has never shot a second of video. I seldom come across any casual shooters who are even remotely interested in shooting video.

Ahhhhhh....great point.

26 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Seems an interesting approach.

I think iPhondo moved up to an a6500 recently but prior to that was doing all his videos with the rx100 iv I think. He had a system of little fans he would stick on the back. 

Also the speed of the continuous photo option is TWENTY FOUR x 20MB raw+jpegs per second with continuous AF >.<

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

Clearly, attaching this would be the foolproof automated solution to this issue.

If there is enough sunlight to heat the camera then it will also be enough to cool it ;)

61Zm3mmFQ9L._SL1201_.jpg

Or to kill a vampire by the looks. Just added a photo speed comment above btw

I had the Mark V and the a6500. And let me tell you, I loved and hated both of those cameras.

The RX100 V is so damn cool for a pocket camera but I got an overheat warning, then shut down 30 seconds into shooting slow motion in the middle of winter. I had the screen away from the body and every little trick I found online about precautions. I got the warning while setting up the menu without ever shooting a second of video. So it's basically useless.

But I liked the sLog and Cine2 image so much I decided the a6500 and its bigger body would at least make it usable... it is " better" and man that is some of the nicest looking 4K I have ever used.

sLog3 almost reminded me of Raw video with its detail. I live in the middle of the woods, so the way cameras pick up the details on tree bark and leaves is very important to me and sLog3 looked damn close to Raw. And sgamut 3 cinema or whatever it's called is beautiful. The camera is well built and the 5-axis was a joy to use with my vintage Minolta lenses. But again... in 35 degree Fahrenheit weather, I got the overheating warning. It never shut off, but that was just too much for me for a $1300 camera. So I returned it.

Here's a small test video I did with it and sLog3 and cine gamut3. I can only imagine what you pros could do with it, if the overheating can be worked around...

When the camera gets down to the $800 range or less, I may pick up another one. 

And here's a screengrab with lowlight in SLog2...

IMG_0936.JPG

How about one of those USB drink coolers?     The flat ones you put a can or cup on? They only cost a couple of bucks.

If I had any over heating issues with my A7s that is what I would try.      I will get one shortly anyway to play with but when I had my Pentax DSLR that overheated at any time it would have been worth trying at least.

• Super Members

Bit of a mixed bag thus far with the RX1005

Can't say I'm really bonding with it yet to be honest.

I probably need to study it a bit harder but its all a bit fiddly.

Have mainly been just been goofing around with the slo mo on this little holiday video wise but did a few stills today and its not bad considering its size and meets the expectation I had of it for taking a few snaps while away.

What was more interesting for me was happening upon a poltical rally so I thought I'd see if it was of use for that kind of similar in close stuff that I often have to do when theres a bit of 'heated debates' going on between rival fans outside football stadiums. With the high fps and it being really compact it actually worked quite well in that role to be fair so it might - literally - see some action for me for real work in situations where having the content trumps having the image quality.

motor remise.jpg

berlin protest.jpg

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Fuji X-T20? small, great colours, may be speedboosted, great lenses, superb stills

I use the X-T20 and it is a little gem.

Unfortunately its the pocketable aspect that it can't offer that the Sony does.