New Ryzen 8 core 16 thread CPU

Henry Gentles

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

DON'T THROW AWAY away your original footage as transcoding is not a perfect copy unless you use one of the uncompressed formats which will create huge amounts of data.If you transcode to a Premier / Resolve friendly format you will be looking at creating a lot of data of multiple times that of your original stock footage. The benefit of working with Proxies / Optimised media is that you can delete it after you have finished the project so it's not long term storage and with your fast CPU it won't take long to generate it again if you need to go back to the project later. Also when you come to do your final render the NLE will use the original camera footage so there won't be any danger of loosing any image quality.

6 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

DON'T THROW AWAY away your original footage as transcoding is not a perfect copy unless you use one of the uncompressed formats which will create huge amounts of data.If you transcode to a Premier / Resolve friendly format you will be looking at creating a lot of data of multiple times that of your original stock footage. The benefit of working with Proxies / Optimised media is that you can delete it after you have finished the project so it's not long term storage and with your fast CPU it won't take long to generate it again if you need to go back to the project later. Also when you come to do your final render the NLE will use the original camera footage so there won't be any danger of loosing any image quality.

Man I think ive got a headache!!!! sounds like there is really no benefit of moving away from proxies. I dont use Resolve....way more functionality than I need

Editing PCs are a rather extreme niche of a niche, but the good news is there is a MASSIVE overlap between what makes a good gaming PC and what makes a good editing PC. 

Thus reading how to build guides for the optimal gaming PC at the moment for a given budget, often gets you 90% of the way to figuring out a good and close to optimal build for an editing PC. 

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Editing PCs are a rather extreme niche of a niche, but the good news is there is a MASSIVE overlap between what makes a good gaming PC and what makes a good editing PC. 

Thus reading how to build guides for the optimal gaming PC at the moment for a given budget, often gets you 90% of the way to figuring out a good and close to optimal build for an editing PC. 

Seems like editing is way more CPU heavy and less GPU heavy than gaming. Storage speed and RAM are also a lot more important for editing.

Gaming really has become a GPU fest. Which is nice, makes it easy in a way. 

52 minutes ago, dbp said:

Seems like editing is way more CPU heavy and less GPU heavy than gaming. Storage speed and RAM are also a lot more important for editing.

Gaming really has become a GPU fest. Which is nice, makes it easy in a way. 

Depends on what NLE you use.Davinci Resolve mainly uses the GPU.

2 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Depends on what NLE you use.Davinci Resolve mainly uses the GPU.

I know it uses GPU more, but it still relies heavily on CPU for rendering.

I just switched from a GTX 570 1.2gb to a GTX 1060 6gb and my render times with  HD pocket raw footage increased exactly 0%.

On 20/04/2017 at 1:07 PM, Charlie said:

I just got my Ryzen system built yesterday and went into a Premiere project, switched off my proxy files expecting playback of 4k files to be butter smooth but....No....its not!!

I am thinking i must have something set up incorrectly cause the system should sufficient - Ryzen 7 1700, 32GB RAM, Radeon RX 480 Nitro 8GB.

Any ideas???

Cheers

A couple of years ago, I was cutting 4K H.264 files from a GH4 without any problems. Buttery smooth playback and editing.

1080P timeline. Intel i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, GTX 580 1.5GB. 

actually have this config : i7 3770k, 16GB RAM, GTX 580 and SSD for OS. A good machine truly. These Ryzen look good to me. But the i7 7700k looks better than the ryzen 1800 in perfs... no ? And it's less money too ... Am i wrong ?

If i want to upgrade and have a good gain using After effects and premiere pro, does this AMD Ryzen is the better choice ?

I'll upgrade RAM to 64 GB and a M.2 HDD for Adobe Cash, maybe not the GTX580 that seems good for the tasks.

What do you think ?

Here is a config i've done :

config LDLC.PNG

Should i go to an AMD Ryzen config ?

I have a question for Ryzen users.

I am currently using a i7 3770 and I just finished a new short film project that I shot on the GH5. I realised that I sometimes get choppy playback in Premiere CC 2017 when I have 2 or more videotracks above each other in the timeline. Especially after some effects are applied.

Is your Ryzen machine capable of playing the native GH5 mov files without any stuttering when there are multiple clips on top of each other in the timeline? If yes, then it is time to upgrade :)

Thanks