GH5 180fps Clips for Download

Neumann Films

Lesson learned, in a way.  I would much rather shoot in a normal picture style and not rely on grading than shoot in VLogL and grade any of the 8bit footage, 4K60 included.  I graded these like they were RED files and it shows when you look close enough.  Anyways, the link for the footage is in the description of the YouTube video.  All in all, I think you will get best results shooting in anything but VLogL and using shallow DOF.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's a little early but just playing with those clips a bit more, I'm really not that happy with the colors. This reminds me of my GH4 and my struggles getting really good color out of it. It's a little better than my Sony A7s and 6300 but not as good as the Samsung NX1. 

To be honest, I'm a little bit less enthused about it now than I was last week.  Hmmm.. decisions..

15 minutes ago, SuperSet said:

It's a little early but just playing with those clips a bit more, I'm really not that happy with the colors. This reminds me of my GH4 and my struggles getting really good color out of it. It's a little better than my Sony A7s and 6300 but not as good as the Samsung NX1. 

To be honest, I'm a little bit less enthused about it now than I was last week.  Hmmm.. decisions..

It's the VLog and 25Mbps codec...I would suggest "getting it in camera" when shooting 180fps. 

25 minutes ago, SuperSet said:

Ah, I see what you mean now, Luke. You can't push that image around much. I can especially see it with Pete's selfie clip.

Maybe Panasonic will be able to improve the bit rate here come release time.

That one IS a bit different than the others as the color temp of the flash on his phone was really weird.  The other clips were easier to get "right"...or at least close.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

It's the VLog and 25Mbps codec...I would suggest "getting it in camera" when shooting 180fps. 

Are their any step-changes in quality as you go down from 180fps with the variable frame rate option?

Say 120fps or 96fps - any more detailed and less aliasing?

There is either a lot of NR going on or the compression is at fault, but a lot of detail is missing ...especially noticable on the skin (subjective as I wouldn't recognise it on a wall).

The screenshots are taken from frames were some detail was still visible. It's not kinefinity but it's a joy to grade nevertheless.

If possible I really would like to see how CineD is behaving.

girls_hair_01.jpg

Pete_fire_01.jpg

Luke_walk_01.jpg

Pete_selfie_01.jpg

Luke_snow_02.jpg

12 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Yeah V-log L with GH4 4K 8 bit footage was a no-no, Panasonic didn't even publicly deny that. That issue of not being able to push the image is even more so the case with higher fps where you get a really low bitrate per frame. How'd you come up with 25mbps? I'm guessing you mean 25MBps even though I know you know your stuff and that that's not the normal way to communicate it... so I'm a little confused here. VFR was 100mbps on the GH4 and I imagined it'd be around 150mbps on the GH5. I'm interested to see how the REC 709 profile looks, natural with a lowered contrast was a good baked in look on the GH4. Also, there's LUT preview monitoring, right? Does that include luts you can import? I know you can save your camera settings to an SD card - so I imagine adding in different input or creative luts wouldn't be difficult. Also, thank you for the GH5 content!

8 minutes ago, AnthonyWithNoH said:

Yeah V-log L with GH4 4K 8 bit footage was a no-no, Panasonic didn't even publicly deny that. That issue of not being able to push the image is even more so the case with higher fps where you get a really low bitrate per frame. How'd you come up with 25mbps? I'm guessing you mean 25MBps even though I know you know your stuff and that that's not the normal way to communicate it... so I'm a little confused here. VFR was 100mbps on the GH4 and I imagined it'd be around 150mbps on the GH5. I'm interested to see how the REC 709 profile looks, natural with a lowered contrast was a good baked in look on the GH4. Also, there's LUT preview monitoring, right? Does that include luts you can import? I know you can save your camera settings to an SD card - so I imagine adding in different input or creative luts wouldn't be difficult. Also, thank you for the GH5 content!

I meant 25Mbps, yeah. 

EDIT...I said 25Mbps originally, not 25mbps.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Are their any step-changes in quality as you go down from 180fps with the variable frame rate option?

Say 120fps or 96fps - any more detailed and less aliasing?

Looks like 120fps is up in the 40Mbps range.