Jump to content

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 2/6/2021 at 7:12 AM, FoxAdriano said:

Hi, I have always had a doubt about Luminance and would like to ask a question.
I only make UHD videos with the GH5.
I have 2 options in the Settings regarding Luminance:
0-255 or 16-235 for 50p and 8bit
0-1023 or 64-940 for 25p and 10bit
Can you advise me which one you would use?
But does anything change when watching video on TV?
Thank you

IIRC, these settings are related to if you plan to broadcast your video over TV.  When TV stations process video they only have a range of values that are allowed, they're called "legal" values, and they're a little bit less than the full range of values that the camera can generate.

The 16-235 and 64-940 ranges will be within those "legal" values.

Computers and YouTube and other online services probably don't care about these things, so if your videos aren't going to be broadcast on TV then it probably doesn't matter.

If your videos are being broadcast on TV then you should contact the person at the TV station that you are in contact with and ask them.  They should be happy to tell you their requirements if that's important for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/6/2021 at 7:35 PM, kye said:

 

Computers and YouTube and other online services probably don't care about these things, so if your videos aren't going to be broadcast on TV then it probably doesn't matter.

 

YouTube *does* care about these things, always submit an H264/265 stream with 16-235 setting, or else the video wont look right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chris777 said:

YouTube *does* care about these things, always submit an H264/265 stream with 16-235 setting, or else the video wont look right.

That's interesting - do they scale the values back into legal, or clip them?  I haven't heard that non-broadcast distribution cared about such things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

If I use 4K longGOP 10bit in vlog- l internally, it will save the file as rec709 color space? It will save FULL or limited (video)?

I need to know in order to use properly DaVinci resolve color space transform. It ask me color space source and gamut source. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 3:20 AM, Aquilasfx said:

If I use 4K longGOP 10bit in vlog- l internally, it will save the file as rec709 color space? It will save FULL or limited (video)?

I need to know in order to use properly DaVinci resolve color space transform. It ask me color space source and gamut source. Thanks

Unfortunately, the V-LOG L of the GH5 / GH5S cameras is not the actual full V-LOG that the color space transform (CST) was designed to work with in resolve.

You might be better off using a Technical LUT to convert the footage to REC 709 in Resolve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well 4 shots from today on the GH5. Boat House 14-140mm, last 3 300mm f2.8 L FD lens. The one of the Lodge had to be a nearly 1/4 mile away. The Geese one was maybe 200 feet away, people fishing probably 300 feet away. This looks to be a damn good copy. I can see I need a better tripod for this lens. Had a nice carbon fiber one but it weighed a freaking ton, should have kept it I guess. Camera, lens shot with my iPhone 6s plus. 

Pretty satisfied on my fist real outing with it. Well, it looks like the photos are switch for bottom to top but you get the idea. Have to figure the 300 is actually a 600 on the GH5.

 

IMG_0051.JPG

P1177521-2.jpg

P1177525-2.jpg

P1177518-2.jpg

P1177533-2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What sort of sucks is the iPhone straight out of the phone is probably the best looking shot lol. And it is a 7 year old phone! Sigh.  They are pretty amazing for what they can do. The 14-140 didn't do too bad though.😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This shot was taken with my 12-32mm Panny lens today. I am telling you for the money you can buy one for they are a real sleeper. And they have OIS in them and are small and light as heck. Like having a 24-70 in your pocket. The Raw looked even better.

 

 

 

 

P1177510-2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@webrunner5 Nice shots!

Getting sharp images of far-away objects is likely to be heavily dependent on the weather - I've spent a lot of time using my FD 70-200mm to shoot the sunset, and when I put it on a 1.4x teleconverter and use the 2x crop mode all you see is heat shimmer.  If I use the same setup to focus on a close subject then the image is crisp, so it's not the optics, it's the distance.

The combination of 200mm with 1.4x and 2x crop gives an equivalent of 1120mm, which is all kinds of fun to get steady video with.  This setup was using the 4K mode so I could stabilise in post because even in this setup there was image shake and I had to stabilise in post - the image shake was coming from the ground through the limestone pillar!

IMG_4097.thumb.jpg.fb7ebc41acf604c94e68e793a45b13ed.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kye said:

@webrunner5 Nice shots!

Getting sharp images of far-away objects is likely to be heavily dependent on the weather - I've spent a lot of time using my FD 70-200mm to shoot the sunset, and when I put it on a 1.4x teleconverter and use the 2x crop mode all you see is heat shimmer.  If I use the same setup to focus on a close subject then the image is crisp, so it's not the optics, it's the distance.

The combination of 200mm with 1.4x and 2x crop gives an equivalent of 1120mm, which is all kinds of fun to get steady video with.  This setup was using the 4K mode so I could stabilise in post because even in this setup there was image shake and I had to stabilise in post - the image shake was coming from the ground through the limestone pillar!

IMG_4097.thumb.jpg.fb7ebc41acf604c94e68e793a45b13ed.jpg

 

Yes, you make very valid points. I always use a tripod with a hook on the bottom and I hang a 1 Gallon plastic jug of water on the hook to help stabilize the shot, and when you are done just empty the water for weight savings., camera bag works also,  and lock down every knob there is on the tripod and ball head or fluid head.

But that does not help haze or heat waves. A UV filter, or haze filter does help though. People that make a living shooting stuff like that have crazy expensive tripods, heads and so on. But yes, there are times weather wise you are better off staying home no doubt lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • EOSHD Pro Color 5 for All Sony cameras
    EOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
    EOSHD Dynamic Range Enhancer for H.264/H.265
×
×
  • Create New...