Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Still fighting with GH5 colors and dynamic range.....

Cinelike D is for me ,very yellow, slightly green and not real skin tone

Today I found a pretty promising setting, You definitely try..

---

Highlight/Shadow -1/0

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

Photo style: NATURAL 0,-5,-5,-2,0

And important -  AWB adjust. A:6 !!!

----

5 minutes ago, tonysss said:

---

Highlight/Shadow -1/0

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

----

Isn't Master Pedestal the one thing that nobody really understood and roundly advised not to change when the GH4 came out?

What does it do?

Just now, Davey said:

Isn't Master Pedestal the one thing that nobody really understood and roundly advised not to change when the GH4 came out?

What does it do?

Black becomes grayer :-)  Better look for me

9 minutes ago, tonysss said:

---

Highlight/Shadow -1/0

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

----

Share some clips when you have a moment?

If you use a corrective LUT, you can restore the proper color balance and take advantage of the extra dynamic range if you don't need V/Log.

26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Share some clips when you have a moment?

If you use a corrective LUT, you can restore the proper color balance and take advantage of the extra dynamic range if you don't need V/Log.

I want to have the best colors directly from the camera, and I then lightly corrected with LUT. 

In today's fast time I have to give my client a job right now and do not tune colors for 3 weeks :-)

30 minutes ago, tonysss said:

I want to have the best colors directly from the camera, and I then lightly corrected with LUT. 

In today's fast time I have to give my client a job right now and do not tune colors for 3 weeks :-)

Where did your file disappear to? i was just about to download it...

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Where did your file disappear to? i was just about to download it...

I shooting something publishable with this setting, I'll send a link

---

Highlight/Shadow -1/0

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

----

Then I just add saturation in FCPX,  (bigger saturation in GH5 is not so natural)

Maybe you could consider purchasing Leeming Lut One for Cine-D? It will give you accurate colours straight out of the box.

By using A:6 you're pushing all hues to orange. But the relationship between them will still be just as skewed. Leeming's luts will reallocate the spread of hues and saturation to match a standard Colorchecker.

It should solve the green skin problem.

19 hours ago, tonysss said:

Master Pedestal +5

i.dynamic - standard

i.resolution - OFF

Luminance level 16-235

----

I really like the colour from Natural, but I think it is for low contrast situations and has less dynamic range and lower saturation than other profiles. Reduced luminance will make high contrast situations worse for natural. Master Pedestal is for matching different cameras. Changing it will also reduce your available dynamic range. Reducing saturation in natural profile is not ideal. 

As @hyalinejim suggests the Leeming Lut One for Cine-D gives you a starting point for any grade or tweaks that is really solid. It also fixes the black and shadow areas without touching the masterped.

Three questions would be

how do you do white balance (auto is ok)

are you using a calibrated monitor - eg. spyder5

and how do you play back files (in browser, vlc, other players) and if you take a tiff frame export from your timeline does it look the same as what you see in the video viewers.

13 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Maybe you could consider purchasing Leeming Lut One for Cine-D? It will give you accurate colours straight out of the box.

By using A:6 you're pushing all hues to orange. But the relationship between them will still be just as skewed. Leeming's luts will reallocate the spread of hues and saturation to match a standard Colorchecker.

It should solve the green skin problem.

Leemig Lut One, I bought it a few weeks ago :-)  and the picture is dark!  And the fact that GH5 is set to a higher exposure (Leeming requires it)  Then are wrong with Panasonic skin tones !

Yes, But the GH5 has a completely different sensor like the G80, believe me, I also had the G80And my GX80 has better skin color as GH5 :-) And cinelike D on GH5 makes radioactive green and the picture is yellow! And dynamic range is not growing, only iDynamic "secretly" turns on, I think.

Cinelike D (GH5) I think, does nothing but lightly pull down the highlights, and pull up shadows using iDynamic. Important for GH5 is Luminance level 16-235, the all dynamic range of the sensor , is squeeze them values 16-235 ! With this setting I have the greatest dynamic range and real skin tones. I have G80 and GX80 and GH5. Pan G80 and gx80 is the same , but GH5 is different. Sensor and processing.

I'm probably going to buy Canon :-))  Or try V-log

2 minutes ago, tonysss said:

And the fact that GH5 is set to a higher exposure (Leeming requires it)  Then are wrong with Panasonic skin tones !

The skin tones you get with Leeming's lut are actually colorimetrically accurate, according to his methodology. But not all people (myself included) find accurate colours pleasing.

19 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I really like the colour from Natural, but I think it is for low contrast situations and has less dynamic range and lower saturation than other profiles. Reduced luminance will make high contrast situations worse for natural. Master Pedestal is for matching different cameras. Changing it will also reduce your available dynamic range. Reducing saturation in natural profile is not ideal. 

As @hyalinejim suggests the Leeming Lut One for Cine-D gives you a starting point for any grade or tweaks that is really solid. It also fixes the black and shadow areas without touching the masterped.

Three questions would be

how do you do white balance (auto is ok)

are you using a calibrated monitor - eg. spyder5

and how do you play back files (in browser, vlc, other players) and if you take a tiff frame export from your timeline does it look the same as what you see in the video viewers.

i have Mac Retina, FCPX, and camera mostly Auto WB.

19 minutes ago, tonysss said:

i have Mac Retina, FCPX, and camera mostly Auto WB.

Well your point about everything being dark and radioactive makes it sound like u little crazy lol. Shoot some cine-d, follow the shooting and setup instructions, take some tif frame exports, post them here. 

11 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

The skin tones you get with Leeming's lut are actually colorimetrically accurate, according to his methodology.

Does that mean all lenses bend light the exact same way?

7 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Read it again:

My emphasis added, for your benefit.

Thanks, way more clear now ...but you also wrote this

you could consider purchasing Leeming Lut One for Cine-D? It will give you accurate colours straight out of the box.

...and I always wondered how that is even possible as the LUT doesn't have a clue what lens or lens combination in the case of a speedbooster I used.

9 minutes ago, bunk said:

Thanks, way more clear now ...but you also wrote this

...and I always wondered how that is even possible as the LUT doesn't have a clue what lens or lens combination in the case of a speedbooster I used.

Theoretically people can't clap their hands and yet in practise most of us can. How is it possible to see things when I open my eyes? I don't know! But BOOM there the world is. The LUT is a tool and many people have found it useful. That's all. It's not like it's homeopathy or something.