New to Anamorphic, what do i do?

subsequent

Hi! 

I wanted to try to learn to shoot with anamorphic lenses. 

I have Andrew´s guide, but i´m not sure what to do in post with the footage?

I got a Sankor 16F attached with a clamp to a Canon 50mm 1.4 FD on a GH2.

Do i need to do anything on the camera before i start shooting? I use Final Cut Pro X in post, but im not sure how to handle the anamorphic footage?

Can any of you experts out there point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For FCPX you just simply import the footage, put into the timeline & then select/highlight it.

Open the Inspector window & you should automatically be on the Video setting (as opposed to Info).

You'll see the Transform box - open it.

Then expand the Scale section & that will reveal x & y axis.

If you are using a x2 anamorphic you just simply change the y axis to 50% (this is the squash method & your footage will be 1920x540).

Stretch method (so your footage will be 3840x1080) see this tutorial (you'll need Motion):

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/payton_t/FCPX_Custom-Resolution-Timelines/video-tutorial

For other anamorphics (squash method) with a different aspect ratio, you can simply do the Math (eg. x1.5 anamorphic - you divide 100% by 1.5, which gives you 66.67%).

Camera stuff - this all depends on the camera (Canon try different Picture Profiles & Magic Lantern / GH2 try different hacks).

But basically once you've attached the Anamorphic to the taking lens (& aligned it - just shine it towards a bright light & make sure the flares are horizontal) you're ready to go.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the reply!

I managed to put on the anamorphic lens in horizontal position, witch in term made my media scale wrong in FCPX. When i put lens on in right direction i got the scaling working.

Think i will try the stretch method too ;)

Thanks anyway