Turns out people hate being filmed

dbp

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, dbp said:

It's like an exaggerated response to what I often get at weddings

Do you like to be filmed?

I accept that people feel uneasy when someone holds a camera (or smartphone) to their faces, because I know how impertinent and ignorant that can be.

I feign respect for their privacy and kindly ask for permission. I smile and reassure them nonverbally that they can feel safe. Works in 90% of all cases. The remaining 10%? Well, it's their right to forbid it. Simple as that.

People like to be respected, but they also, in my experience, like to be asked and then directed. It's more about psychology than about personal rights. You've got to have (and show) empathy and then exploit that. Polite words aren't enough, it's your body language and your whole manner. 

That's why I still shoot weddings. The lens is their 'magic mirror'.

9 hours ago, dbp said:

It's like an exaggerated response to what I often get at weddings

The key to weddings is to be like maggot. Slip around, like water... but really like maggot. That's what you are. Eat when no-one is looking. In fact, do everything when no-one is looking. Bride.

You're golden!

Too funny.

If people think they can tell you not to shoot, they will. It's a kind of situational authority that I myself raise a huge middle finger to.

If you are in a public place and don't like the camera then get out of my frame.

Soon we will have people requesting permission before you can 'look' at them.

• Administrators

First 4 minutes are hilarious, then I stopped it - does it get a bit repetitive after that? If not then I'll watch the full 50 minutes :)

I think in the 90's there wasn't the urge to control our own images quite so much or the suspicion over how the material would be used.

The internet changed all that and it does make it more difficult to capture a slice of life, documentary style, undetected. People behaving naturally. If you ask them permission, it changes the nature of the footage, it feels stiff and staged.

I had to watch the whole thing ^^. Anyway, the guy doesn't really communicate, if he just would stand there staring "what are you doing?" ,"just staring", it would have had the same effect. So in the end it's not really about the camera ;)

btw, where was this filmed? It was strange nobody had a gun (maybe that one gangbanger near the end had one).

I don't think his approach is ideal, but clearly the purpose of the video was to elicit a reaction. Amusing, nonetheless. I do not think anyone has the right to attack him or his property for filming. As many have said they can simply leave.

This video is fascinating. Not because of any point it's trying to make but because I got to see the everyday life of Americans, to see how they live, how they talk, how they react to a situation. Everything was so real, there was no staging, no gloss. The parts with the woman drug addict and the homeless guy just broke my heart.

I found myself curious to know what he was cutting out of the material and why?
I also wondered why he chose to include the junkie and homeless folks in the material. Yes they are interesting in some ways, but I don't see the relationship between them and the other 'get that camera away from me' types.
In any case, a great social commentary about this particular time in history and from a very bizarre part of the world. God it would be uncomfortable to be an American living outside America sometimes.

I find it funny how some of you assume that I side with the guy or that I condone his behavior. I don't. It's weird and obnoxious. I just posted it because it's interesting to watch, in a trainwreck sort of way.

BUT it does amuse me how afraid of cameras most people are. To answer the question, no I don't mind being filmed that much, if we're talking about public places. Or when I'm a guest at weddings, or happen to be at some venue where they are making a video. 

With humor, sure, that makes sense.

But not with a video of a social phenomenon. I posted something to serve as an observation for how people behave in a particular situation. I did not say who I thought was right or wrong. It's just "look, here's how people behave in X situation"

A non judgmental observation. Which is why I said "turns out people get mad when you film them". Which, according to this video, they do.

Say some asshole does a crime and goes to trial. He gets off. The news reports it. People will post the video clip of that report for two reasons. Either in support of the verdict, or to declare their outrage at the verdict. Some might even do it for a "huh, what do you know?" impartial reason. All valid. Not all will share where they stand on the issue. 

So this, "You posted it blankly, when you post videos blankly it says to the viewer that I 100% agree with what was said.", I disagree with.