An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, John Matthews said:

It's not that loud, but you can hear and feel it move around. Shake it when it's off. It's just the IBIS moving around. Turn it on and it will stop.

If I turn on my GX80, I can still hear that "clack" when I tilt the camera forwards. That sound gets recorded by the mic, it annoys me. Apart from that, I really like this piece of equipment.

5 hours ago, sir_danish said:

If I turn on my GX80, I can still hear that "clack" when I tilt the camera forwards. That sound gets recorded by the mic, it annoys me. Apart from that, I really like this piece of equipment.

Hmm... I don't have any audible sounds when mine is turned on, even when I shake it. Did you buy it in Europe? Make sure the IBIS is 100% functional. What lens are you using?

12 hours ago, mercer said:

I don't think mine does that. Now I need to check because I have not noticed any loud quack. 

Wait. Are you talking about your GX80 or G80?

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Hmm... I don't have any audible sounds when mine is turned on, even when I shake it. Did you buy it in Europe? Make sure the IBIS is 100% functional. What lens are you using?

It's from Amazon. IBIS seems to work fine, but there is this rattling noise when I shake or tilt the camera. Yesterday, I slowly tilted the GX80 downwards, and at some point there was that "clack" again. Camera up, camera down, clack! I don't know... Maybe I should get a replacement? Can you confirm that you REALLY don't hear anything when you tilt your GX80? Just point it to the ceiling and tilt it down towards the floor.

Anyway, it's not the lens. The clack noise is also audible when no lens is attached.

1 minute ago, sir_danish said:

It's from Amazon. IBIS seems to work fine, but there is this rattling noise when I shake or tilt the camera. Yesterday, I slowly tilted the GX80 downwards, and at some point there was that "clack" again. Camera up, camera down, clack! I don't know... Maybe I should get a replacement? Can you confirm that you REALLY don't hear anything when you tilt your GX80? Just point it to the ceiling and tilt it down towards the floor.

When I make the motion you talk about with it on or off, I don't hear anything. To hear the IBIS rattle, I need to shake it when it's off. However, I cannot say that it's never done that. I seem to recall it did it a few times. My guess is that it's ok. I don't know the return policy for Amazon in Austria, but I imagine it's 30 days like in France- when sold by Amazon. When in doubt, I'd get another one rather than trying to deal with Panasonic... it'll be too long without a camera. You could call them though just to double check. It's a lot of money to only have it break and be out of a camera for months while they repair it. Hope that helps.

2 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

When I make the motion you talk about with it on or off, I don't hear anything. To hear the IBIS rattle, I need to shake it when it's off. However, I cannot say that it's never done that. I seem to recall it did it a few times. My guess is that it's ok. I don't know the return policy for Amazon in Austria, but I imagine it's 30 days like in France- when sold by Amazon. When in doubt, I'd get another one rather than trying to deal with Panasonic... it'll be too long without a camera. You could call them though just to double check. It's a lot of money to only have it break and be out of a camera for months while they repair it. Hope that helps.

Good idea! I wrote an email to Panasonic, but they will probably tell me that everything is ok. I can live with the fan noise, but I don't want the rattling noise to be recorded. I should try and get a new one.

10 minutes ago, sir_danish said:

Good idea! I wrote an email to Panasonic, but they will probably tell me that everything is ok. I can live with the fan noise, but I don't want the rattling noise to be recorded. I should try and get a new one.

Wise. You have the opportunity now to get the new one, do it. What happens if the next one does it, I don't know? :) Please let us know what/if Panasonic responds... we need to keep them in check.

On 12/2/2016 at 4:58 AM, John Matthews said:

I'm guessing your sharpening was higher than -5 as there was a slight halo around all high-contrast elements (building roof and foliage).

John, after your comment I did some testing with various sharpness levels and I have to come back to my earlier opinion.

I think you are right about the sharpness I am going to settle on -4 from now on. 

sharpness.png

3 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

John, after your comment I did some testing with various sharpness levels and I have to come back to my earlier opinion.

I think you are right about the sharpness I am going to settle for -4 from now on.

I've always preferred a more "organic" feel. Not this begs the question: why not "-5"? :) Doesn't the 4k offer enough headroom in terms of detail? Do you find it's doing something weird?

I've come back on my contrast settings. I've found that when in flat light, skin colors will do strange things (weird orange color shifts) with contrast at "-5" and I couldn't make it look right. I bumped it back up to "0" in flat light. Also, after my previous findings, there isn't any reasons for protecting highlights with it set at "-5". I only found slight noise differences in the shadows when bumping up the midtones.

1 hour ago, hempo22 said:

I really like how this topic is turning out! Anyone dared to try a bmpcc speed booster on this? xD

I just won one pretty cheap and was wondering the same thing. It should be here tomorrow, but I'm a little afraid to test it. I believe it worked with the GH4, but with the floating sensor, the entire sensor carriage may be pushed out a little further...

9 hours ago, mercer said:

I just won one pretty cheap and was wondering the same thing. It should be here tomorrow, but I'm a little afraid to test it. I believe it worked with the GH4, but with the floating sensor, the entire sensor carriage may be pushed out a little further...

Wow! In effect, would that give the GX80 a crop factor of 1.29 in FF terms? For the IBIS, would you still dial in the focal length written on the lens? Are Canon APS-C lenses big enough? Doesn't is worry you that they say: "Do not attempt to mount- physical damage may occur." Could be bad. :fearful:

5 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Wow! In effect, would that give the GX80 a crop factor of 1.29 in FF terms? For the IBIS, would you still dial in the focal length written on the lens? Are Canon APS-C lenses big enough? Doesn't is worry you that they say: "Do not attempt to mount- physical damage may occur." Could be bad. :fearful:

Yes, so I won't, but I am still curious. ?

5 hours ago, DThornton said:

Standard -5 -5 -5 0.jpgI did some test with the Gamma & Density chart then pulled it into resolve to see what was happening with different settings. The GX85 was set to Standard profile. Each picture is labled with the different settings. You can see what happens when you change the settings.This set is changing contrast.

Standard 0 -5 -5 0.jpg

Standard 1 -5 -5 0.jpg

Standard 3 -5 -5 0.jpg

Standard -3 -5 -5 0.jpg

Standard 5 -5 -5 0.jpg

This is consistent with my results. Midtones are brought down as you increase the contrast. But be careful in flat light as I found some weird skin color tonality that was uncorrectable. I now believe contrast should be set to "0" in very flat light. Did you also note the higher noise frequency in the dark parts of the image?

I am trying to match the GX85 to my Canon 70d. I love the colors that the Canon produces. I have found on the GX85 that Standard +4 -5 -5 0 Highlights -2 Shadows +2 I dynamic off comes close. On the Canon I am using Vision Color Profile sharpness 2 Contrast -1 Saturation 0 Color Tone -1

I am flying the GX85 on a steady cam and needed them to match to save time in post.

Testing highlights and shadows. Compairing hignlights -2 or -3 shadows +2 or +3   I am liking -3 +3 

Standard +4 -5 -5 0 Highlights -2 Shadows +2.jpg

Standard +4 -5 -5 0 Highlights -3 Shadows +3.jpg

Yes, this matches my Canon 70d contrast setting. Any less and I have to adjust the contrast in post. I am matching the GX85 contrast to the Vison Color profile on the canon.

Testing if the sown scaled1080p HDMI out put is sharper than the 4K in camera.capture. I captured this with the BM Video Assist. ( not the 4k Video assist ) the orginial one sold. It does4k vs 1080 out HDMI  1080p recorded on BM Video Assist Zoom 218%.jpg not appear to.4k vs 1080 out HDMI  4K Zoom in 218%.jpg