First sony hack unlocks time limit and language selection

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

nothing spacial more overheating if u ask me

According to Sony, the major reason for the 30min limit is the EU taxes..   Not to prevent overheating.  After all, when the camera starts to overheat it shuts down by itself regardless of the hack.  In any case, good news for me because I am no longer looking at buying a 4k recorder.

As one who shot 5d3 raw back in May 2013 with a camera that cost about as much as the a7r2, I figured what the hell.

I can confirm this works perfectly with the a7r Mark II.  I threw the grip on to see how long it'd run.  I got 1 hour 4 minutes before I ran out of disk (64GB card). 

Keep in mind this isn't a "firmware" update or anything - it's simply a Playmemories app to install.  Simple and easy and takes literally 3 minutes.

Link to the "hack" app. 

https://sony-pmca.appspot.com/apps

Thanks to this I can let my a7r2 run for a while now and not worry about it for long shoots.  No overheating icon the entire time either.  See attached pic of a7r2 w/grip...

A6301531.jpg

Awesome!

It will probably take some time before they can make MJPG encoding work, but this is already a very, very nice achievement!

BTW, did you also know you can install standard Android apps on the (recent) alpha series via their site? For example, I installed a terminal emulator on my a6000.

• 2 weeks later...